new harrier (ish)

Alan Cantwell

Advert

Hi Alan,

When i spoke to the careers office about joining the RAF they said that this F-35 will be the planes that the new fast jet pilots will fly. They are recruiting in 2014 for the arrival of the jet a few years later, I can't see why they bothered to replace the Harrier with it, although this plane does seem pretty good :D

Tom

Anyone else notice the shear amount of down elevator required as it gets airbourne?

With a barn door open on top though trying to force the nose up, it would need full down just to prevent it from flipping straingt over!!!!

What happened to the concertina doors for the forward lift fan? Gets rid of the barn door "airbrake" when trying to increase speed to take off!!!

That is one ugly critter, IMHO..........

I think it needs the barn door to get enough air into the engine for the required throughput of air, Dave. You'll also see that as it goes over the round-down the vectored-thrust tailpipe rotates downwards to provide additional lift, which is why the elevators go down. It's mainly brute force that makes it climb, not elevator control.

Given the latest US military budget cuts and the problems the STOVL version has encountered, I'm not sure it has got much future. It needs a special concrete pan to land vertically ashore, which loses the versatility the Harrier had and you'll see that the landing-on area on the carrier looks different from the rest of the flight deck. It has to be strengthened and made heat-resistant to cope with the downthrust.

I think UK PLC is going to soon regret recent Defence decisions. Right now we are entering possibly the most dangerous period in world history since the Cuban crisis in 1962, with Iran and Syria about to kick off, North Korea not showing any signs of changing, Pakistan on the verge of a coup and South American countries wanting a slice of the Falklands oil cake.

The British Government seems to be busting a gut to get us involved in another scrap in the Middle East when we are least-prepared militarily. We have a troop landing ship as the Royal Navy Flagship and an untested new frigate off to the Middle East on its shakedown cruise, no autonomous Air Defence cover away from UK shores and no MRA capability.

How readily will the French provide us with the hardware when we ask for it? I can see the latest military co-operation and entente cordiale not getting any further than a desk in the Elysee Palace when the chips are down.........

I hope I'm wrong but I fear there's some unpleasantness ahead........

Pete

couldnt agree more, all we have at the moment, are expensive dont do a lot toys called eurofighters, warton and sarns are geared up for producing this monstrosity, but, when it all goes wrong, there are desert loads of yank planes we will get tossed at us, our cababilities are being eroded, we WILL rue the day we let them do it

1. Typhoon is a very capable platform particularly in the AD role and getting there in the GR role.
2. The MRA4 was a hole for wasting money (originally called Nimrod 2000 so that an indication of how late it was).
3. There are othe platforms that can cover most of its role.
4. We are paying for "not making hay while the sun shined" and we are now having to tighten our belt as the country is skint.
5. We either voted them in or let them in by not voting and nobody was complaing too loudly before the credit crunch, we were ALL happy to spend money then

I to was in the RAF, left in 2005 I had the pleasure of working on 3F sqn which was a Harrier Squadron.
Had two trips with them on HMS Invincible what an experience that was!!!!
I was then involved, as a civilian, in the upgrade program of the Harrier, from GR7s to GR9s.
I have some great memories of my time working on them.

Dean

Tiffy is limited in the roles it has to perform, its not a good gun platform, its being used for ground attack, where it is not at its best, its lacking in its structural integity when the gun is fired, its very pretty for airshows, but will not have the use that a Tonka has, or a Harrier for that matter, its air defence roll it was designed for, it will probably never see,

Its maker was very glad to get rid of Nimrod, and collect the money for it, many a high up RAF person was against its scrapping, yes, it was behind the times, but it was needed for more than flying over afghanistan, it was a very cabable airframe, let down by constantly moving the goalposts, and not giving it a chance, not until we get Sentinels will we have anything like the cabablity that this airframe could give us, even then, it will not be a low down and loiter machine like a Nimrod, and it wont have the systems that will be able to detect shadowing russian subs that tag onto out departing subs, only recently, our new sub astute, on departing port, was immedialty shadowed i this way, Nimrod would have found it immediatly,

Sentinels, by the way, are paid for in dollars, wonder where they come from? we dont build aircraft anymore, none at all, sad, isnt it? our main defence contractor, is not interested in aircraft at all, where other countrys have this industry, we do not, why is that?

Edited By Alan 4 on 14/01/2012 23:43:42

Sentinel is built by Canadians, whilst the Mission System, whilst made by Raytheon is actually made in the old Cossors factory in Harlow, Tonka gun Hmmm Harrier gun ah nice pod made nice ballast not a lot else.

And no we dont want to use the french carrier

Brimstone (dual mode ) good bit of kit works well on Tonka and Phoon

The VC10 was better than the 707, but some UK airlines used the 707.
The Spectrum was better than the Atom, but the UK education department chose the Atom.
South Africa already produces personnel carriers that offer the highest degree of protection against attack and IEDs, but instead they are doubling the cost and wasting years developing one.
The Harrier looks clearly better than this, we already had them.

I think the common thread is politics and politicians, and top heavy "management".

Posted by Keiran Arnold on 14/01/2012 22:40:17:
AH yes 3(F) Sqn best Sqn in the RAF when did you get there??
Oh and Lusty was much better than the Invinceable

Edited By Keiran Arnold on 14/01/2012 22:41:25

Hi Keiran,
I left 3 sqn in 2005, met some great people there.
What was better about illustrious? only had the pleasure of experiencing Invinceble.

Dean

PS I still live in Cottesmore village

Latest news on the F35, particularly the F35C we have ordered. No F35C has yet laned successfully on a carrier.
The tail hook is too close the the main gear and the whole thing is too short for it to work properly, ever !.
US commanders warned that if it did catch the wire it would likey rip it in half because of the flaws.
We have been sold a pup............