Covering prices

fly boy3

They are 10 metre rolls, however not even a metre wide
I was going to cover the B52 in soalrtex, but the cost was horrendous, especially as the cam scheme would need painting on after too.
prices seem to be from £64 to £66 per roll, so not much savings around Im afraid.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 27/01/2012 15:14:15

Posted by Martin Harris on 27/01/2012 15:16:44:
£6.60 a metre isn't that unreasonable for a textured covering is it? Seems roughly in line with standard Profilm/Oracover - and don't even bother checking their "special" varieties if you're of a nervous disposition!

Maybe not bad if you compare it with other similar products, but just because one is expensive, it doesn't mean that price is OK for all.
Even ordinary solarfilm has become very expensive now, | won't use it, rather use the eastern equivalent.

High prices may not mean higher profits as less and less buy as alternatives are found.

24gsm woven fibreglass cloth and floor sealer seems attractive on foam, stronger and I don't think heavier (I have everything ready to do a test piece when I have time)

Solarfilm used to be £2.30 for a large roll, now it is £7.50! Haven't bought any covering for a while, but look around swop-meets, for much less. Also keep some in stock, even if not required now for rainy days.

Actually comparing prices. Solarfilm is £7.50 for a 660x1270mm roll, where Profilm is £17 for a 620x2000mm roll, making solarfilm not as good value. (almost 1:1 comparison)

Profilm: 1.2 sq/m roll

Solafilm: 0.83 sq/m roll

I've used a roll of red covering from Giant Cod. I was impressed. It's thicker than solarfilm, and easier to use than solarfilm. Especially when shrinking with a heat gun I've found it's so easy to put a hole in solarfilm with no warning. This stuff never holed once, and you can see when it is getting a bit hot and back off. It has a white adhesive backing and that is really the only draw back as overlaps are sometimes visible as white hairlines. All in all very good value and I would buy it again.

I always buy the cheapest, as no matter how I try my covering attempts resemble Nora Batty's stockings
I've used the gc stuff which was better than the steve webbs stuff but prefer profilm for ease of use and longevity.
There is a solarfilm polyester which is meant to be the dog's nuts but although I have 4 or 5 rolls I've yet to try it. (It's in a really sick colour that I got cheap, may recover one of my vintage jobs in it).

Edited By John Gibbs on 27/01/2012 16:50:04

Same here, open areas are fine although it can be a bit strong when it shrinks and can cause warping.

I found just using the iron gave better control of the shrinking process.

The white glue lines that can appear on the edges are removable with acetone.

Since coming back to RC have been surprised how dear stuff is in the UK compared here in NZ. Thirty plus years ago used to buy a lot from the UK usually VAT free.
But I just compared pricing of covering here at 3 LHS (By local I mean within a THOUSAND miles!) who do mail order.

It all looks comparable with UK prices;
Solarfilm 2m $25 to $30 = 12.50 to 15.00 pounds
Solartex 2m $40 = 20.00 pounds
Solartex 10m$170 = 65.00 pounds

This includes 15% GST (VAT).

However where we have it good is that there is no Duty or GST on personal imports of Toys & Hobbies up to $399, so as long as we keep overseas shipments below that we are sweet. You in the UK sure get whipped by the Taxman.

Also you seem to get stung with high Freight/Postage costs, stuff I have brought from China or the US has been resonable in that way. As an example I brought in a box of balsa from Tower Hobbies mid last year, (Balsa was almost unobtainable here at the time & still is thanks to the Boat Building Industry here and in Aus.) And saved a bundle as well!!
Freight on that by USPS priorty was roughly $45 the box measured 40x12x12 inches, and weighed about 8 - 10 pounds.
You have to be careful if you have a choice of shipper espc. from China, Registered mail or Standard parcel post is the best - cheapest & quickest. DHL no faster, EMS is not even recommended by a couple of Chinese Suppliers!!!

I have recently bought some solarfilm from Glider Distribusion they charge £3.99 per meter for most of the colours which i think is quite reasonably priced.

Although the flourescent green i also bought was £6.99 a meter!!!!!!!!

Dean