Oh No!!! Whats a great trainer???

Posted by Lee Smalley on 29/01/2012 00:22:17:
the thunder tigre trainer (plastic pig) is not a good trainer, maybe a second model but not a great first trainer really the people answering this question should be instructors and people who have been flying a long time, no disrespect lads but its these type of people who have had their hands on many many trainers over the years

my top 10 from over 20 years of flying

Chart Mascot
Wot trainer
Kyosho Calmato high wing and low wing
Irvine tutor
seagull e pioneer

most trainers these days are very good, stick with one that keeps getting mentioned and you will be ok.
persoanlly a 46 is a bit over the top for a beginner the excess power can cause more problems for the inito pilot than it is worth !

Lee Smalley
A cert
B cert
AI
just in case you were wondering

I wouldn't say it is difficult to fly? I'm a newbie only been flying in the hobby for a year or so, i learnt on the older version of the tiger trainer, it flys great, seems easier to fly than a wot 4.....
Tom

Advert

I loved my Mutlplex Mentor. Easy to fly and as Dev says, it can do most of the aerobatics, but best of all it would do lovely slow passes down the strip at not much more than walking pace.

Easy to land, if a bit floaty. I used to get upwards of 15 minutes out of a 4500ma battery by throttling back and gliding around.

Very easy to repair. I broke mine in half 5 times and just glued it back together again. Even after that sort of treatment it still flew beautifully (although by that time it did look really awful).

Excellent value for money and much lamented!

Pete

have multiplex ever made a bad model?? oh hang on what was that helicopter thing !! seagull e pioneer is an excellent model

Devon flyer i knew your credentials already!!!

depending on the age of the pupil the excess power can cause problems, it might not for you but it will be different for other people, when you have taught a lot of people of varying ages and abilities you have to cover some bases an irvine tutor with an irvine 40 takes some beating for all ages and all abilities, some of the older guys i have taught have got themselves into problems with over powered aircraft, some of these guys are struggling with two channels let alone adding a third to the equation, the package i mentioned (amongst others) will allow a pilot of any ability to fly her without scaring the bajesus out of them thats all !!

Edited By Lee Smalley on 30/01/2012 15:44:39

I disagree Lee,with respect.You experts are just that ,whereas Ive been flying 4 years so being relatively inexperienced I can easily say what I found difficult from fresher newbie experience,.I found the Seagull E Pioneer brilliant,and had 5.At the same time the radio gear I had was in my opinion suspect,and lost at least 3 to loss of signal.Being inexperienced I was putting the losses down to myself but then when flying with others it was confirmed to me that other losses were not me.Multiplex Easystar excellant,and robust and easy to repair.Multiplex Easystar,brilliant except on my first flight ,it was my first brushless and the power difference caught me out,until I found the 3 throttle helps when reduced.Multiplex Mentor,excellant,but soon after purchase the elevator let go on the hinge and was lost.Probably a more experienced flyer would have seen the problem coming.All my other suggestions Ive already stated,but the Fun Cub has lasted me 2 years nearly a massive recoerd for me,and apart from the wing front mount needing strengthening the Seagull Swift is brilliant because it can beTrike or tail dragger u/c IC or electric,is very substentially already put together,and an all round excellant choice of tyrainer,I rest my case govnor

Lee, I'm 15, it didn't seem to scare me to much, although my instructor was very good and introduced the plane to me gently

Tom

Surely if over power is a concern, this can be reduced at the TX ?
I taught my then 13 year old to fly a Big Stik with a .61 and just reduced the end point on the radio he was using via a buddy lead.

Phil

Lee - Like Tom T I must stick up for the mk2 Tiger trainer. I've had 2 since I got back into flying in '98. It is strong, stable and has a wide range of stable flying speeds. Made of wood with a plastic top deck. Not sure where the "plastic pig" bit comes from unless the mk3 is indeed plastic as I've not seen one on the field. Even with the much maligned MDS 40 engine never had any problems. I still fly both models even now.

John

ok i will try again for those that did not understand my post

tom the reason the extra power did not scare you is because your 15.....

stephen you must disagree with me but then go on to agree that the E pioneer is a great aircraft ....eh!

some of you seem to have missed the entire point

when you teach as many people as i have to fly, you realise that what works for one person may not work for another, your overpowered wot 4 may be fine for a 15 year old with lightning reflexes to learn on, but give same aircraft to an older gent suffering from.... well age, and that aircraft is useless

and we can't allways teach on a buddy lead, so we have to rely on the old tranny grab ( a favourite pastime of mine) so its ok to come on here and state what model was okay for you, but don't come on and say its the worlds best etc, when you have only had 1 trainer and taught no one to fly.
all i am saying is its people like Devon, Andy E, David telemaster, beb etc etc are the ones to listen to, they have been flying since the 1800s and have taught more people to fly than they can even remember

Oh dear what started!!!!
Thanks, real BIG TANKS for all your help, Im still abit confused to which model, how ever it will be one of those mentioned, I dont want to start out on this fixed wing thing the way I started with my first Heli, E-SKY HONEY BEE CPX it was too twitchty and hard to handle ( more for the intermediate). I have googled and watch youtube footage of all the suggested models, perhaps I should go to some events and/or find a club in Middlsex before I buy, I will let you know which one and how I get on!!
Once again Thanx for all your help

Hold on!!! No one has mentioned this one for electric trainer

Top Gun Park Flite TB-20 Electric RTF Scale Trainer
Has any one come across this one, I think I may go electric to cut down cost so that I can get to handle the fixed wing first,then move on from there.

I've never heard of a it so I googled TB-20 and was rewarded with a picture of a low-wing light aircraft with a tricycle undercarriage and a cabin which could accommodate at least four people.

If you intend to use such a model to learn to fly with there are three reasons why this would be an unwise choice.

1. It is a low wing model. These models are less stable than high wing models. Nearly all of the models suggested in the posts above have a high wing with the fuselage mounted below it thereby imparting a pendulum effect which aids stability and makes the model easier to fly.

2. Scale models are less robust than trainers. Do you want to spend your time learning to fly or learning to repair?

3. Scale models are not as easy to fly as purpose-designed trainers. Need I say more?

Finally, all of the models mentioned in posts above would be suitable as trainers, it's just that some of us have our own preferences. You don't say how old you are, in my experience, older learners, people over the age of about 45, are better off starting out with a three-channel vintage model which virtually flies itself on calm days. After gaining some confidence on these models they are soon able to move on to four-channel trainers. Many older learners find a modern four-channel trainer a bit to hot but a buddy box helps here. Mind you, you just can't buy a vintage model, you either have to build one or buy one.

Just my two-pennorth.

David Davis
A Certificate
Club-Level Instructor

Posted by Lee Smalley on 30/01/2012 22:54:04:

all i am saying is its people like Devon, Andy E, David telemaster, beb etc etc are the ones to listen to, they have been flying since the 1800s

....nah, long before that

I think the model's traits are just one part of the equation, the quality of the instructor is equally (if not more) important.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 31/01/2012 08:48:29

With respect, some of us may not of been flying since the 1800s and not have the b and club trainer under our belts but we can all make valid points,i only fly trainers because i like then it suits my style of flying, when we have a newbe at our club i like to show them my 4 trainners and tell them about the good and bad points of each one, some club trainers only fly one model to to teach newbe , so we can all be a expert in models we like to fly most days ie trainers.
Dave.

Posted by Lee Smalley on 30/01/2012 22:54:04:
ok i will try again for those that did not understand my post

tom the reason the extra power did not scare you is because your 15.....

stephen you must disagree with me but then go on to agree that the E pioneer is a great aircraft ....eh!

some of you seem to have missed the entire point

when you teach as many people as i have to fly, you realise that what works for one person may not work for another, your overpowered wot 4 may be fine for a 15 year old with lightning reflexes to learn on, but give same aircraft to an older gent suffering from.... well age, and that aircraft is useless

and we can't allways teach on a buddy lead, so we have to rely on the old tranny grab ( a favourite pastime of mine) so its ok to come on here and state what model was okay for you, but don't come on and say its the worlds best etc, when you have only had 1 trainer and taught no one to fly.
all i am saying is its people like Devon, Andy E, David telemaster, beb etc etc are the ones to listen to, they have been flying since the 1800s and have taught more people to fly than they can even remember
I have taught quite a few people to fly over the years, I can't really recall any instances where the extra power has caused an issue, I wouldn't suggest learning on an overpowered WOT4, however a 46 in a standard "trainer" is hardly way overpowered and there have been numerous occasions where the extra power is a benefit and has saved a model, its also a better engine for when you move on to a more "adventurous" aircraft. Opinions may of course vary, I base mine on my experiences.

Andy
A,B ACE, ACI blah blah blah.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 31/01/2012 09:06:06:
The priority really is join a club and get advise from the people who know brfore you do anything else.Of course joining this Forum is an excellant way to start.

Getting along to a club is definately the best advice!! It is possible to teach yourself, its easier and I would suggest better to get the help of club instructors. The smaller lighter foamie electric types are OK but the window of opportunity to fly them is a bit smaller as they are not so suitable in more blustery conditions.

Andy totally agree on the club thing definately the best advice, but some people can't do that, also agree on the lighter models thing,

but i am teaching a fellow at the minute that would have a problem if he had a cooking 46 in his trainer (46 la no problem) so everyone is different!

i was not suggesting you need to have b,c or whatever cert, but advice on what makes a great trainer should be given not by an ace pilot but by someone who teaches regular or flies nothing but trainers, in fact ace pilots who don't teach are prob the worst to give advice on such matters as the last time they flew one was prb when they learned!

I think the guy has enough suggestions to make an informed choice if he wishes to go either IC or electric, the same names keep cropping up!!! ......if he wishes to go his own way ... well thats up to him !

and i keep forgetting the 40 engine is not suitable for adventurous airframes !! like a precedent funfly or weston couger etc etc

Posted by Lee Smalley on 31/01/2012 16:50:45:

i was not suggesting you need to have b,c or whatever cert, but advice on what makes a great trainer should be given not by an ace pilot but by someone who teaches regular or flies nothing but trainers, in fact ace pilots who don't teach are prob the worst to give advice on such matters as the last time they flew one was prb when they learned!

Exactly.

You also don't need an 'Ace' pilot to teach you.
You are better off with a confident, patient and competent pilot who is a good teacher.

DF thats very true I found different instructors ,the ones who spoke calmly and quietly brought the best out of me,and I started learning at 63 so not the best pupil.When landing and concentyraring on losing the height and the speed with someone shouting come to the RIGHT, you could here what he was saying but your brain is so busy with what you are doing although your hearing there is no room left for the doing.I agree with the power side of things.After initially learning on a Multiplex Easystar,and this on my own , when i decided to graduate myself to the Easi cub with this tiny brushless about a third of the size of the 400 brushed,when I gave it full power to take off , well I was in panic mode,to me the thing was a rocket,and all reason left me as I was hanging on by the shirt tales as it looped from a hand launch ,headed straight for me and then proceeded after somehow missing me and the ground to tear off towards some power cables.It would be interesting to fly it now to see where I was and where I am.