Ch.2 Elevator left

Ch.3 Throttle

Ch.4 Rudder

Ch. 5 Gear

Ch. 6 Ail Right

Ch. 7 Elevator Right

Ch. 8 Flap right

Ch. 9 Flap left splat!crying 2

That's why I couldn't get the DX8 to program my BH T-28 120 size Trojan. The DX18 will allow Spektrum users to do these extra functions:

Ch. 9 as above

Ch. 10 Steerable noseleg

ch. 11 Landing lights

Ch12 -18 and so on...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 18/02/2012 22:05:39

Advert

I think Spektrum need to concentrate on releasing previous transmitter first before advertising the DX18 !. My flying buddy placed an deposit on the DX10 almost a year ago now after all the advertising they did, first the delivery date slipped to July, Then November, then the New Year, then February, and guess what?....they still haven't arrived. I have a DX8 and I think it's a great TX for the money and so much easier to programme than my old FF8. I just wish they could get their act in order and get stuff delivered.......based on what is going on with the DX10 you might get your hands on a DX18 in 2014!

Paul Marsh. Explain why you need two channels for the flaps, one for right and one for left? Flaps always operate together on any normal aircraft, One control operated by the pilot.

Even the Twin Pin which has coupled flaps and slats worked via chains and cables only uses one control to operate them.

And based on what the owner of the DX8 in the club says about new upgrades and warnings every day on the Horizon or Spektrim website, The DX18 with need a fe hours and evening to keep up with the updates.

Posted by Peter Miller on 26/02/2012 19:04:09:

Paul Marsh. Explain why you need two channels for the flaps, one for right and one for left? Flaps always operate together on any normal aircraft, One control operated by the pilot.

Even the Twin Pin which has coupled flaps and slats worked via chains and cables only uses one control to operate them.

And based on what the owner of the DX8 in the club says about new upgrades and warnings every day on the Horizon or Spektrim website, The DX18 with need a fe hours and evening to keep up with the updates.

On my gliders and also my Glens Maule (no more sadly), I have one flight phase where the flaps are mixed with the ailerons to give full span ailerons. Having ability to have a 4 servo wing is a good thing on high performance gliders.

Example why you might need two channels on flaps:

By using two channels, if one surface is reversed and/or slightly different throw to the other one, then it can be adjusted via the channel.

On my BH Trojan, using two servos, one was reversed, and was impossible to swop the arm round by the location of the servo well. Only way was to add a servo reverser to on flap, but a bit pointless, as the end-points need to be adjusted.

As Frank said, you've got the power to mix...

Actually, I'm quite surprised, Peter that you needed to ask the question, due to your wealth of experiance, designing models, as I just buld and fly. cheeky

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/02/2012 07:15:27

If you use identical servos with identical horns the travel will be idenitical.

I use three methods. A Y lead with a servo reverser in one side of the lead, this has an adustment in the reverser if needed.

I sometimes design the model so that both flap servos lie in the same orientation . This may mean that the horn location is not symmetrical.

The third and equally effective method is to design the model to use one servo for flaps with bellcranks in the wing to operate each flap.

So yes, I have designed a lot of models with flaps, they all work and none of them use more than one channel.

But then, I work on the KISS principle

Posted by Peter Miller on 27/02/2012 10:48:09:

There is a cartoon strip in the current Amateur Photographer.

Two characters, one with a huge camera on wheels and a gigantic lens. The other character says "That's an impressive camera" and the camera owner replies.

"You Betcha! I don't mess about when it comes to showing off!"

I think that says it all

I must say I don't understand your dislike of this Tx and/or those that will buy it. You've asked several times how one could possible use 18 channels - and those questions have been answered most politely and completely.

The idea that the only people that'll buy it will be those looking for bling is beyond ridiculous. After all one can fly a plane with 4 channels. So is anyone with a six channel TX then purely an idiotic show-off? And as for bling surely the JR12 or Futaba 18 would be a much better choice? Way more expensive........

If you don't want to buy one then your course of action is simple....

• 3 months later...
There's a lot more to this radio than the number of channels.
I'll buy it and its unlikely that I'll ever use more than 8.
What I'm looking for are the side sliders, the mixers, the ability to put functions on the switches where they are most comfortable, the checklist to bag me into doing pre flight checks, the configurable TX inactivity alarm, and the ability to configure channels to rx outputs.
AJ

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I bought a DX18 last Saturday (waits for the howls of derision for my foolishness!)

I have not had a lot of time to delve too deeply into the programming, but on first impressions what you can potentially do with this set is mind-boggling.

To go with the channel assigns, fully programmable switches, preflight setups, 16 free mixes there is even a programmable sequencer for landing gear and gear doors.

Very impressed. yes

• 2 months later...
Posted by Peter Miller on 27/02/2012 09:02:01:

So yes, I have designed a lot of models with flaps, they all work and none of them use more than one channel.

But then, I work on the KISS principle

But none are f3b f3J f3f gliders able to do what those can do with flaps and ailerons having dedicated channels etc?

Why is it important to you to knock equipment that you don't intend to buy because YOU have no need nor use for ? Why should others work on a KISS principle?

Others feel they do have use for this transmitter and are prepared to buy it. It's a matter of choice. Live and let live ( or buy!)

Edited By Dave Rose on 26/09/2012 16:36:58

• 2 months later...

I have just bought the QQ version, I am loving the sequencer for doors, retracts and lights plus anything else you might want to use. The flight modes are also great. A very versatile piece of kit that I cant see me ever needing to replace. Yes it was pricey but its one expense I wont need to have again for a very long time.

Edited By John Hickson on 03/12/2012 14:31:25

I was lucky that I didn't buy the normal DX18 as it came out. Going to buy the QQ version, as it's got a more suited receiver for my next 1/4 model and you've gotta have that cap!!!cool

Saying that, it's only a little more (and a more expensive rx), so probably the same, except got more features. Looking now, it is £600 at Al's and £610 at SWM. will be getting it from SWM on their "Longest day". probably my most "expensive day"...

+++Update. Just reserved mine from SWM. The last one. Only a limited run of 2000, and they'd had their second delivery. Put a deposit and picking up on the 20th (SWM Longest Day).+++

Edited By Paul Marsh on 04/12/2012 09:59:26

This is the DX 18QQ Version. Also get a flashlight with it, and gold anodised stick ends. Really it only costs £40 more, you get a case, improved TX and (better rx), hat, flashlight, cleaning cloth, SD card, X-plus rx and larger lipo battery. The case is the main thing, probably that alone is £70...

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Marsh on 06/12/2012 20:16:17