The cheapest radio 2.4 GHz

Major

Timbo
Yep ,I used the wrong word -"Clone" . I really meant something that does what other manufacturers have designed & developed and managed to reproduce to perform the same function most of the time..(Makes me think of brake pads actually that work but not too well and look the bis )
This really highlights the fact that none of us really knows what is in those magic beans and what might make them dodgy and how they can be on the cheap in what is obviously a high tech industry. Piracy ,industrial espionage come to mind along with retail pressures cheap labour and volume output - Something I know you know a bit about ! (retail that is -not piracy  
Myron YO13 What can you trust these days dept

Paul,
I have seen Trunigy 9x with receiver on Ebay from UK seller. This particular Tx does not appear so often in UK, however You still can get one from Hong Kong - usually delivery takes 14-21 days. I would prefer to wait a bit anyway, to me it seems to be too far distance to order electronics. If something's wrong - well, You can send it back, but then it makes absolutelly no point.

Some people were talking about soft problems. Most of them (if not all of them) have been eliminated (I mean problems, not people) with V2 version.

Posted by Major on 05/02/2012 13:53:31:
Paul,
I have seen Trunigy 9x with receiver on Ebay from UK seller. This particular Tx does not appear so often in UK, however You still can get one from Hong Kong - usually delivery takes 14-21 days. I would prefer to wait a bit anyway, to me it seems to be too far distance to order electronics. If something's wrong - well, You can send it back, but then it makes absolutelly no point.

Some people were talking about soft problems. Most of them (if not all of them) have been eliminated (I mean problems, not people) with V2 version.

Have a look at my TH9X thread.

It is i fact a very popular set, and if you google ER9X you will see the alternative software (firmware) I use.

The build quality of the main board is as good as any big name, as are the sticks and switches. There used to be an issue with the soldering of the connecting wires, it took about 20minutes to redo, but I haven't seen that with any for the last 18 months.

The V1 and V2 refers the the radio protocol, there are also different versions of the main board, but you are unlikely to get an older one now, and the only difference was a solder pad.

I have added backlights to mine, very useful on dull days.

As per my earlier post, you can set up all the mixes etc on the PC and download it to the TX (you have to add a programming port)

It has 9 point curves, and unlimited mixes, there is no other TX that can match its flexibility at the moment, no matter how much you pay.

I find it very comfortable to use.

The only limitation is model memories, limited to 16, but you can add an SD card circuit with other firmware.

It goes up to 16 channel, and can support DSM2 for those planes sold with built in receivers.

I have 5 now, and have been using them for over 2 years.

The Turnigy one out of the box is a very capable set, made fantastic if you install other firmware.

The Turnigy latest one does not have a 35MHz antenna, the earlier ones did, and you could simply plug in a JR module

That is the proper rewiev, thanks Steve!!

I just wanted to ask, as one of my friends from abroad told me, that his friend was using it with heli. And spent more than 250 in pounds just for repairs, as "signal was lost".

I'll have a look at this thread, this might be intresting.

Cheers
Tom

Posted by Major on 05/02/2012 14:26:22:
That is the proper rewiev, thanks Steve!!

I just wanted to ask, as one of my friends from abroad told me, that his friend was using it with heli. And spent more than 250 in pounds just for repairs, as "signal was lost".

I'll have a look at this thread, this might be intresting.

Cheers
Tom

Anything is possible. If you read all the forums, you would think that one of the big names is dangerous to use with the number of reported signal losses and lockouts etc. with resulting crashes it is blamed for. People used to blame interference, now with 2.4GHz they say the signal was lost. I'm not saying that this was the case with your friend, just to read all radio problems with an open mind, as I think more of them are really the pilot running out of talent than they are a radio fault.

I tested the range with the model sitting about 5' off the ground, and line of sight it was more than a mile, Ran out of places to go where I could get to and see it.
That was installed in a foam plane, installed in a helicopter with a metal frame, any make of radio could have a short range if not installed correctly.

I use them because I like the flexibility, many people use them because of price. Most people take care when installing a radio, but there are many who will just throw it together and hope for the best, fortunately they are lucky most of the time.

Buy the best you can with the available funds, take care with the installation and use of it and you will be OK, actual electronic faults are rare.

Of course, you have the option of correcting the original problem, instead of working round it, but make sure you can run fast

I never go to the field without a car Steve.

Well, I've heard a lot of warnings about Spektrum and Turnigy. Maybe it is just easier to blame radio instead the pilot. But this could be a nice alternative to similar, but more expensive sets - I don't think I'd be able to use its full potential for quite long time...

But just tell me please, how to, with open mind, make a good choice?? If let's say I consider Hitec Optic 6, Futaba T6J and T9X??

Regards
Tom

Posted by Major on 05/02/2012 18:29:16:
I never go to the field without a car Steve.

Well, I've heard a lot of warnings about Spektrum and Turnigy. Maybe it is just easier to blame radio instead the pilot. But this could be a nice alternative to similar, but more expensive sets - I don't think I'd be able to use its full potential for quite long time...

But just tell me please, how to, with open mind, make a good choice?? If let's say I consider Hitec Optic 6, Futaba T6J and T9X??

Regards
Tom

The title of your thread was the cheapest radio, the TH9X is the cheapest, less than half.

In its standard form, it will do all you want now. In its enhanced form it is only limited by your imagination.

If you just want something to use without having to do anything, but at the same time being limited to what the radio offers, I would say the Hitec.

You already have doubts about the TH9X and Spektrum, if you buy one and something goes wrong, even if it was not the radio, you will always think maybe it was.

Try and find out where each one is assembled.

Posted by Andy Green on 05/02/2012 08:57:04:
I've just jumped ship from JR to Futaba, so have to upgrade all my models to Futaba.

I have just bought Futaba R617FS FASST for £49.50 a Futaba R2006GS FHSS for £31.99 and a Fry Sky TFR4-B FASST for £23.

I agree with Frank that it was common practice in the 35 Meg days to swap Rx's but only because all manufacturers used the same technology. You couldn't use another manufacturers PCM kit.

I took a punt on the Fry Sky Rx, and it is quite good, build quality is fine and real coax for the aerials, but because the FASST technology is Futaba's, what have Fry Sky missed by just reverse engineering it.

For the price difference of £23 for Fry Sky 4 channel against a Futaba 6 channel at £32, I'll stick with Futaba in future. The Fry Sky Rx will be going in my Alula.

Andy

Andy, surely you're not comparing like with like here....
Futabas FASST & FHSS systems are different & unless you have a T18MZ() your Tx will control one Rx or the other but not both. You can't compare a Futaba 6 channel FHSS receiver at £32 with a FrSky FASST 7 channel Rx at £23 (even cheaper from HK....) because its a different animal.....the FrSky unit must be compared (pricewise) with the Futabas 617 FASST unit which is £50.....I'm sure FHSS compatible Rxs will appear from China very soon & I'd wager they will be around the £15 mark.....

Steve I do have the 18MZ

I was only trying to make the point that Rx's aren't that expensive. 

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 06/02/2012 12:19:27

I know.....hence the ..............

I was just concerned for the other 99.9% of us who wouldn't be able to use a FHSS Rx with a FASST Tx.....

Its interesting how Futaba seem to have controlled the Global price of their Rxs.....you can buy a 617 from HK & it costs £50 ($80) just like it does in the UK.....

I re read your post and you are right, my comparison of the Fr sky with the futaba was wrong.

Guess I should butt out really, this thread is about a cheap 2.4 set, I have the most expensive.

Andy

Buying a low end Futaba set at present needs some care, because ot the apparent transition from FASST to FHSS - apparently FASST is going to be their top-end system, but there are probably still some of the 6EX etc. sets around with FASST, which means you would be locked into expensive receivers as FHSS is not compatible.

This sort of issue doesn't exist with entry level Hitec and Spektrum sets.

Posted by Andy Green on 06/02/2012 12:32:58:

Guess I should butt out really, this thread is about a cheap 2.4 set, I have the most expensive.

Andy

I feel your pain Andy & to help you out I am willing to make you a direct swap.....my old FF7 for your T18MZ....

That way you can contribute to the thread secure in the knowledge that the radio you own is only worth 2p......

I am willing to make this sacrifice & shoulder the burden of having the most expensive radio just to help out a fellow modeller.....

PS I think your contribution is valuable whatever radio you have....

Thanks Steve.

It took a millisecond to consider your kind offer, but I'll have to decline.

I will have a JR PCM10X to shift over the next few months - when I transition all my models over to Futaba.

Andy