The cheapest radio 2.4 GHz

Major

Hello everybody.

I am looking for possibly the cheapest radio gear to suit my small Sharkface. Generally I've got just three requirements - radio on 2.4GHz, has to be in fully working condition and as low price as possible. Don't care if it's used or brand new, what brand it is etc. Unfortunately I had an argument with my lady and she says, that I waste too much money on my hobby!! Everything started, when she asked what do I need to buy to fly little Sharkie. I told her - battery, esc, bec, servos, radio, motor, charger. So I'm looking for the way to make both of us happy. Could anyone help, please??

Adrian,

Thanks for link to GC - didn't know this website before. But the prices are amazing and most probably it will be my supplier.

About planet - that's exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Unfortunately I am quite fresh in the hobby. Not long ago I started to build models, used just RTFs, so don't have any gear, but will work on it.

Thanks again
Regards
Tom

I don't know why she can't let you do your hobby. If I had a partner, I'd agree, as I've got 50+ radios, 300 models, 600 engines, and buying another radio today.

Show this to her, and let you buy any radio you want, you have to put your foot down.

"Woman, know your limits!" Harry Enfield and Chums"

Paul, My misses and I limit each others spending on our hobbies, or we'd be bankrupt. We don't do this out of viciousness but out of simple common sense. we question any major expense and agree when it is financially viable for it to be made.

Small things (less than £20) we don't generally discuss unless there are a lot of them, or it is actually something which will entail other costs.

I'd love to be able to just buy things but cannot spare the money to do so.

The answer is, of course, to agree not to spend more on yourself than she spends on herself...... clothes, make up, haidressing etc, etc,........................start asking her how much she spent at the hairdressers etc and keep a record...... ( however do this secretly at first and make sure who is the most expensive- just in case its you! )
Did I ever tell you about a friend of mine who put a note in his will to say " dont let my wife sell my cameras for what she thinks I paid for them!"

If you look elsewhere on this site you will fnd people have recommended 2.4 radios at about 50 pounds. There are good reports of one system I think.

Edited By kc on 03/02/2012 11:17:02

As you are on a budget, can I suggest you re think your 2.4 requirement.

35 MHz is so cheap now, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Someone asked about a receiver the other week, and a forum member gave them one. Not suggesting you'll be that lucky.

I regularly fly on 35 and the peg board is always clear.

Andy

I had a Planet T5 and it was very good...but....parkfly range only!. I'd go with Andy as 35mhz sets are very cheap on fleabay now,even some quite recent ones.If you really want 2.4ghz add a FrSky hack module from GC,lots of info on forums on how to do this,particularly for the Futaba 6EX (step by step on GC forum) and the RXs are almost as cheap as chips.

Andrew

I too fly on 35MHz regularly with no problems but I think from some of Toms other posts he is drawn to the electric side of the hobby & for electrics I think its fair to say that 2.4GHz has less issues....

The Planet set suggested by Adrian has a good reputation....there is also "Saturn" sets imported by Ripmax.

I would suggest you just buy a combo & then as many servos as you need....probably from Giantcod....9g ones will be fine in your Sharky Tom...

Edited By Tim Mackey on 03/02/2012 12:44:48

Major
you are in good hands here if your new to this hobby ... as i have recently found out i have only been in the hobby a few months well back in this hobby a few months.. and being on here has help me no end ,,, thanks to Steve Hargreaves and Tim Hopper just to drop a few names in .. always remember if your new to this world and your flying you need to look at the getting something from the uk with the right EU makings and to join BMFA recommended BMFA ...
there are a lot of companies out there that do cheap TX / RX COMBO'S that are not covered by the EU and if you have them and your insured with BMFA i dont think it covers you..

ask about on here others may know better than me..

i agree with Steve here Major the Saturn controllers are pretty good for your type of model and again same with the servos the 9g ones i just got are fantastic servos

Also watch out on buying from Ebay theres been some copy cat equipment being sold .. you have to watch out there .. servos and gyros have been the main ones and also tx's i know 3 people been got there...

you could if your desp for just a little somethings go to hereflysky 4ch tx and 6 ch rx
hope that this has helped you a little
Adrian

Edited By Adrian Day on 03/02/2012 15:55:15

Edited By Adrian Day on 03/02/2012 16:04:03

Problem is buying a cheaper radio, is not the best idea. With a single channel tx, you are limited by Dual rates, Expo, model memories and so on. Just picked up the Spektrum DX6i for £140, including a rx, which you can leave out. It has enough features to keep you happy, on 2.4 and the receivers are quite cheap an reliable. You can get a Hobbyking Orange DSM rx for £6 and been fine (although park fly). Added to that, you don't need to buy another tx for a while-saving money; If you want to get the best out of the hobby, otherwise get a cheap 35mhz set.

Wise advice, Paul, but Major may be seriously strapped for cash, and may not want to go beyond the Sharkface for now. The Planet solution seems a good one - UK distributor with backup, CE marked etc. I've bought loads of servos, escs, motors and batteries from GC with very few problems, but I get the impression that the backup wouldn't be the same on the RC link as you'd get from a major player.
The 35MHz suggestion is a good one, but as Steve said, 2.4 is more electric friendly, and the aerial easier to hide in the little Sharkface.

I've moved all my foam Park Zone models into the DX6I, freeing some space from the DX8 and the PCM9XII tx's. The RX I got with the DX6i bound that onto the DX8, as it's DSM-X.

I've used the Planet radio quite a bit, both in electric and IC. The IC model was used during off the peg flying at the Weston Park show, quite far away within the vicinity of about 30 live 2.4 tx's. No problem at all, considering it is a fast model small and surrounded by trees, etc. Rock solid interface throughout. For a "short range" rx - not bad!

Well, situation is a bit strange just because of me. Some time ago I just wanted to collect money for Aurora 9 and two nitro trainers. That complicated everyhing, as You know how much this radio costs. After that any stuff like glues, wood, dope etc started to be counted and now I just got an effect of my own stupidity. And there is no way to talk - "how can you buy radio for car's half price??"

I know, that buying cheaper radio will just cost me more actually, but right now just want to see my Sharkie flying (or not). What can I do, it's just a family life. Of course I can say "you won't tell me how much I can waste on my hobby", but respect my lady so far and just want to be fair - till I can hold on.

Adrian,

You're right! Here on the forum You can have more help, than You can imagine. Already some people did some things to keep me in the hobby (doesn't matter how - even the smallest advice is worth so much to me) and would like to thank them all!!

And other thing - FlySky. I am considering this one, radio from HK and conversion, have seen some nice Hitec's radios, but I just don't know... From other side that would be much better I guess.

But my revenge will be so sweet and painfull...

"Can I have some cash ?? Need to go to hairdresser..."
"Of course my love - here You are" and will just give her that cheap radio

Thank You all for some info!!
Regards
Tom

Hi Major
one thing with HK so i have been told some of them cant be used in the UK cos they dont have the CE mrk ..and some clubs dont allow them .. please if i am wrong ladies and gents please let me know..
Im no pro at this hobby.

still learning

of set your hobby with partner if you get some thing get her some thing too .. makes it come out like your being thoughtful too extra marks all the way
rgds
Adrian

It allways works like that - f.e. I have taken 100 to buy Piper, she has taken 100 as well and bought some clothes and other stuff that every woman buys, but on which normal man wouldn't even look.

Good to know about HK rradio and CE mark. Thanks again!

Tom

Posted by Adrian Day on 03/02/2012 18:38:54:

.......one thing with HK so i have been told some of them cant be used in the UK cos they dont have the CE mrk ..

Not true.
Lack of a CE mark does not mean an item is not allowed to be used in the UK.
It might cause a problem to anyone wholesaling or retailing an item, but not to the end user. So long as an item is within specifications of what is legally allowed to be used - no problem.

One of the clubs I'm in forbids non-CE marked equipment and 2.4GHz receivers that are a different make to the Tx/Tx module. Spektrum and JR can be mixed.
I think there have been some issues with "Orange" receivers and they are worried about the BMFA insurers not covering equipment approved for use in the UK.

It's the same at the shows. At Weston park, they check the tx, ensuring it's got a ce label and FCC test mark. If it hasn't the tx isn't allowed to be used and banned from use. Same if a club official checks your TX, and it isn't legal - have the power to enforce a ban, as it makes your insurance invalid, therefore if an accident happens you get the wrong end of the law.

In other-words, don't buy grey items - it isn't worth it!

Posted by Paul Marsh on 04/02/2012 12:39:07:

Same if a club official checks your TX, and it isn't legal - have the power to enforce a ban, as it makes your insurance invalid, therefore if an accident happens you get the wrong end of the law.

It would only make your insurance invalid if it was proven that the equipment was transmitting either outside the legal frequency range that is in force, or on a higher power than was legal.
CE mark has nothing to do with it.