New Phoenix 4 sim (beta)

David Ashby - Moderator

Quick summary of the new features/improvements....

• New InfinityScape sites:
• Fly forever on an infinite number of randomly generated 3D terrains that you create and control
• Boundary-less terrains let you range as far and wide as you want to

• New camera modes include Cockpit and Chase modes with lookaround functionality
• New resampled sound effects for model engines
• Official support for NVIDIA 3D Vision sterescopic and TrackIR head-tracking hardware

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/02/2012 11:55:50:
Wow! Sounds great! Cockpit view should be fun! I know its just a gimick for most of us - but hey, it a fun gimick! I wonder if I'll be able to see myself on the ground as I do low pass

BEB

You can see the pilot character on FS One. But to me all the new features are just new gimicks and IMHO will not add much to the sim as a RC practice tool.

I agree Phil - but fun though.

One thing I would like to see in Phoenix is more focus on training and practice aids - for example games that required you to hone a particular skill, or exercises beginners could go though to encourage them - say point scores for landings based on a combination of vertical and horizontal velocity, model attitude (ie how level) plus strip position on touch down etc. The scope is endless really. As it is we've got "balloon bursting"

BEB

Hi all,

I have now downloaded but I now regret it as getting on multiplayer is virtually impossible, does anyone know how i can delete version 4 again? Will i need to uninstall the whole of phoenix and re install, sorry for the strange question

Cheers
Tom

Beb

Am with you all the way, I think more training aids would be well received. Possibly a mock solo test with an instructor?

All in all though I am pleased with phoenix, Its a great tool

Rusty

I downloaded it and made the mistake of not creating a copy of V3s first......

V4 will not load as it says my graphics card should have the latest drivers. Trying both Intel and HP Compaq, neither have a later driver for the chipset. I emailed Phoenix and they replied quickly, asking for a copy of the diagnostic file.

Unfortunately, I'd already tried to revert to V3 and mashed everything up, so it seems I have no choice but to clean the system and do a re-install. A System Restore hasn't been able to recover the version. I have saved a copy of the original files, so hopefully once I'm back to V3 I can put some of the variations I'd made back on.

Moral: before trying it out, copy everything to a separate folder!

Pete

I'm looking at getting a Sim and on the basis of my own research had homed in on Phoenix v3. I've been on the Phoenix website and downloaded the demo which (after some graphics driver updates which took place automatically) works well on my laptop. Am I correct in thinking that running the demo not only demonstrates the program but also serves to test/prove that the computer has the necessary spec to run the program. I presume that running the program is no more demanding than running the demo.

I just noticed on their website that v4 (beta) is available for download, on the basis of the comments I'm reading here I don't think that should put me off buying v3 in the near future and upgrading as and when v4 becomes available. If I understand the website correctly once you have bought a version of the product then upgrades are free.

Since I have no full size radio (or models come to mention it!) then there is the question of choice of transmitter to go for. I see that there is a boxed version which includes a Spectrum DX5e but some shops are offering other trannys as an additional cost option. I suspect that I know the answer to the next question but I'll ask anyway. If I achieve any degree of success and go on to buy a couple of models then I suspect it makes sense to go the extra ££'s and get a DX6i with the Sim it being more adaptable in future.

I'll only be starting with powered glider type model to begin with (while I get my hand back in) but trying to be optimistic about what I might achieve then the DX6i will probably last a bit longer. When I say getting my hand back in I flew for many years but there has been a significant break, so I'm adopting a cautious approach to my return!

Actually I have flown a Micro Stik as a start towards getting the thumbs working again, but I think the Sim might be a good help through these winter months ..

Is this v4 Beta worth downloading, or is it just goin to be a load of grief.
It looks good fun but I am not in the mood for PC issues tonight!

Rusty

I've had to do a complete re-install with lots of updates downloaded to get me back to V3s. Phoenix support responded quickly to my original request but I sent them the diagnostic file as requested yesterday and have had no response yet.

If you've got a relatively powerful graphics card I'm sure it will be OK - I just have the OE bits.

I'm not sure the additional functions are completely necessary - useful for FPV, perhaps - but if it's there, I've got to try it, haven't I?

Pete

Pete

My Computer has Intel gmc hd graphics on board, I think its fairly pokey in the graphics front, well its plays tv and all sorts....... but am no pc wizz

I know what you mean though why should there be something out there that i am not getting. But your right i dont think the updates are much use really.

Cheers

Rusty

I've had a reply to my graphics problem which was fixed with the release of V4.d, which I've now loaded. Far better graphics and sounds but for some reason, my 'Cockpit' and 'Chase' options in the Camera menu are greyed out. I'm wondering if it only allows this option if the graphics card is sufficient. Anyone else finding this?

Pete

Hi Pete,

When I first tried the new V.4 I found the chase and cockpit views greyed out to, I have finally worked out how to use them.

If you go to flying site and click change you will see the list is completely different now, to get the chase and cockpit view you have to chose one of the new 3D infinityscape flying sites then these views are selectable.

Although it is a pain to go online with V.4 I am really impressed so far with the changes, really impressed with the fact its free to and i don't have to go out and buy the latest version or pay to get the updates, it is not very often we get free things nowadays.

Dean

Thanks for that, Dean, it solved the problem of where to find the new functions but unfortunately I get a message to say the graphics memory is insufficent. I have 256Mb of graphics RAM available, apparently, but it seems that is not enough.

I have sent the diagnostics log together with a diagnostics report on the graphics card (Ctrl+Alt+F12, which I hadn't known about!) to Phoenix for them to confirm whether or not my machine is capable of running the 3d sites.

If it is a no, I'll not bother to upgrade the card - it's fine for all other purposes and I can live without the cockpit view!

I'm just glad I didn't have to buy the upgrade to find it didn't work..........smiley

Pete

Hi all, I've downloaded all of the latest updates ( up to version 4d), and haven't encountered anything serious yet yes. One thing I have noticed is that although I have a fairly modest spec machine (2.7Ghz Quad core with Nvidia 9800 GT graphics), running the normal sceneries usually gives around 350 FPS, but with the new 3D sceneries this drops to sometimes 80-90 FPS (bearing in mind I do have all the settings set at high). This might explain why some people are having issues with the 3D sceneries if their PC graphics aren't up to scratch.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Nightmare!! I hate computers

I wanted to gid rid of the beta update as it stopped letting me change flying sites bit anoying to say the least.

But every time I uninstall then reinstall it turns up as the beta again....... Anyone any the wiser here????

I even searched for the files and deleted them but still now joy..... assistance please

Rusty

It's a long shot because I'm no computer expert but did you only uninstall the program from the Programs folder? Try looking in 'My Documents' for a 'PhoenixRC' folder. If there is one there, delete that as well.

I've got a copy of V3 backed-up on a separate drive, just in case I find problems. I've never had a reply from Phoenix on whether my particular setup could cope with the 3D sites - they just won't load.

Pete

Pete

Thanks and yes your right I only uninstalled from program files and I will give your thoughts a shout after work. I am a mac person really but I fly on my dads PC, and certainly like yourself "No expert"

Thanks for your input and I will let you know of the out come.

Rusty