Why don't birds...?

Plummet

Yes, I agree with what you have all said, but you do seem to be talking about the birds moving their horizontal control surfaces so that they are partially vertical in order to change their flight pattern. This is the bird waggling their rudder/ailerons.

It does not (quite) tell me why they do not need a vertical fin for straight and level flight, or why we do.

Plummet

I suspect the birds use the wing feathers in a simmilar way to the drag rudders on the B2.
Normal lay-out models, and full size, do not have drag rudders so need vertical fin/rudder assemblies.
As Frank says the B2 needs a sofisticated control system and even a birds brain is far more sofisticated tha the flight controll computer in the B2.
The Horton brothers managed without a computer and scale models of thier aircraft can be sucessful.

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 13/02/2012 15:36:06:
'He's havin' a go at the birds now...'.

LOL.....

He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy......

If we could design a fully flexible wing with about 40 servos in it for control & another 20 servos to control an all moving tail then we could probably dipense with the fin too.....

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 13/02/2012 15:36:06:
'He's havin' a go at the birds now...'.

That did actually make me laugh out loud!

Like many have said already you don't need to have a fin, just like you don't need an engine it just makes things easier and more practical.

The Festo Bird is the closest I've seen to true bird like flight see below