SDS Hobby - www.sdshobby.net

I thought I would be recommending this company, however after a second order it all went wrong.

The start
Looking for a specific model that I couldn't find elsewhere (or someone that would ship to the UK) I found SDS Hobby who are based in Shenzhen, China.

Looking at their website it said they accepted PayPal, so I decided that if anything went wrong, PayPal would sort it out for me, usually by refunding my money. I also Googled their website and couldn't find any good or bad reviews about them either.

I made my £250 worth of order and within 10 days my shiny new 75" plane had arrived and all checked out OK with no damage. The packaging was fantastic and well up to the job of being shipped all the way from China.

The quality of the plane was excellent, however some of the fixings could do with an upgrade and the quality of the manual (on CD-ROM) was very poor but none of this was a problem. This model would have cost me £550+ if that US based supplier would have shipped it to me. I was a very happy customer indeed and this is where my review should have finished, however....

The second order
My dad was so impressed with the plane, he wanted one too and placed the same order plus 2 carbon fibre spinners, so that was a £300 order that got processed and within the same 10 days, his plane arrived on his doorstep too.

Upon inspection it was found that the Cowl was damaged

Cowl Chipped
Fibreglass is weak around the edges and the paint has cracked and chipped.

Cowl Split

Fibreglass is split on the underside of the cowl too. The damage might not look much and almost trivial on these photo's but this cowl is so big it will fit over my head (don't ask me how I know) teeth 2 The damage is quite considerable and will take fibreglass reinforcement, filling and skilled paint technician to get this looking right again (something I'm not that good at).

Will not replace
I contacted SDS Hobby, asking for them to replace the cowl, however they told me that "our professional engineer check that maybe your cowl has something crack (by transport problem) ,but it is not a big problem, you can repair it by yourself."

Cheeky, so and so's! smile o

Unfortunately my dad didn't make his order with PayPal but the bank have offered to look into getting a refund for him and the saga is currently continuing and SDS Hobby continue to refuse to replace the cowl, only offering that they might give us a discount on another order (yeh right!).

In summary, if things go right first time you should be a happy customer, however if you have a problem you are in for a nightmare.

I can't personally recommend this company, hopefully this will help others in our hobby.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 29/02/2012 20:01:48

Advert

Allan, I'm afraid this is the reality of dealing with a company half a world away. It's often been said of HK, don't order anything you can't afford to take a hit on.

Along with some other items I ordered a roll of 'Dark Yellow' covering film from HK to see what it's like. What turned up is not at all yellow, in fact it's nearer Tangerine/Orange. Some you win, some you don't.

I think this is just the price you have to sometimes accept when dealing with companies across the globe. No, it shouldn't have happened, but when it does- well what can you do? It is your responsibility to weigh the risks against the reward. If this is a once in a blue moon occurance, well fair enough. If it is a regular occurance then it becomes harder to justify.

BUT.......look at the maths here:

Plane #1 cost £250- a saving £300

Plane #2 cost £300.

Even if it was in pieces of wood the size of matchsticks you are actually no worse off than if you had bought the plane at the full price of £550.

If the hassle is to omuch then the obvious answer is buy from the UK, with full consumer protection, but pay the premium for doing so.

Edited By andy watson on 01/03/2012 12:25:56

Olly, yes, I have lost count how many times I have communicated with them. They just won't budge. The aftersales care is severly lacking.

Bob, agreed, the first time was a risk but after a successful delivery the second order should have been the same

Pete, yes, we paid for the extra insurance for 'damage in transit'. However the box isn't damaged, the cowl seems to have been damaged before shipping. SDS Hobby and EMS, the courier are not interested in the claim. The bank is the last option.

Andy, thankfully £40 to a skilled body shop technician should be able to fix this and get it perfect, the savings are still worth this hassle.

Josip, Yes, what can you do? I didn't have much choice if I wanted to buy this specific plane.

The bank have sent the claim forms, it will be interesting to see if they do anything. smile

They are obviously dishonest crooks, look h e r e

I doubt if they even manufacture like they claim.

And they sell    t  h i s  at a much higher price than HK

Not a very good place to buy from, better to avoid if possible I think, looks dodgy everytime you see something else

Have to edit again, I see that is still the old V1 they are showing, not good at all !

Edited By Steve W-O on 01/03/2012 18:02:42

• 1 month later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loL_VTSnz-8

Thanks for the heads up on this website Allan,as i've just watched a YT video from Bruce,his package wasn't packed at all well and he was very very lucky that nothing was damaged.

Having said that most of us know what the chances are when we buy from over seas at a much lower cost,so we have to weight up the pros and cons

After watching the video and then coming across this thread i think i'll be giving them a miss and stick with Hobbyking.wink 2

I'll try and add the video but not sure if i've done it right but we will soon see.

Glad that you have been informed Startazz, is a shame that SDS Hobby could have avoided this by implementing better after sales service.

It's interesting to note that Bruce has the same thoughts as myself in that SDS probably don't check the contents of the boxes they are shipping out and damage is being done at the factory.

YT models are packed with all components put itno thick plastic bags,glued to the sides of the box, main components are covered in a thin foam sheet, all kits come in a standard carboard box, and are shipped in a VERY stout shipping box, I personally have had 7 of them, and never seen damage, i suspect the owner of YT would be interested in any shipping damage,

• 3 weeks later...

It's worth noting that when ordering online there are benefits of paying by a credit card that offers insurance when purchasing items (check with your card provider first!).

It didn't take much effort from me but was a lengthy proces taking two months to complete (mainly waiting for the other parties to respond), however in the end it was ruled by the bank that SDS Hobby had not traded within banking regulations and that a total refund was due as the supplier was not responding to requests to complete the transaction appropriately.

Wish:
* SDS had just replaced the cowl
* SDS hadn't lost out so much (reputation & financial)

Lesson:
* Make sure you are well protected when purchasing online
* Not to use SDS Hobby again

Result:
* Got back more than I bargained for via the bank
* Got a couple of aircraft that I adore and were worth the overall hassle

This raises an interesting point!.....who owns the damaged plane?
If you had all your money refunded by the bank then surely you now dont own the goods because you haven't paid for them.
Maybe the bank owns the plane. Maybe the retailer still owns it & expects you to ship it back!
If you now fly the plane it will become obviously used, so what if they ask you later to return it and it's not in the condition as delivered to you. Maybe they will have a reason to debit you with the original price?
I would check before assembling and flying!

Hi KC, thanks for the nudge. I got an email alert yesterday about your reply to the thread but couldn't see it due to the forum bug. All is well and good now though!

The claim form that I filled out states that "all costs are covered by the insurance of the banking authority" (in my case VISA) and that "all goods remain sole property of the purchaser in their entirety."

The plane is mine! teeth 2