20 Spitfires found in Burma

Wingman

Advert

Which article are you (Ben, Alan) reading?

However, advances in technology and the emergence of more agile jets meant they were never used

My only real quibble would be that the jets that replaced Spits (and other piston engined fighters) weren't "more agile". Perhaps it could have been worded better but I read this as jets replacing them. That's the only reference I can find to the word jet in the article.

Actually, chaps, the copy has been corrected since this morning - probably due to the comments made about it - "The Prime Minister secured a historic deal that will see the fighter jets dug up and shipped back to the UK almost 67 years after they were hidden more than 40-feet below ground amid fears of a Japanese" was the original.

Yes deffo called the spits fighter jets earlier. But tabloid journo`s aren`t always renowned for getting the facts correct are they?

The main jist of the story is very interesting. Presumably the guy who found them will take ownership. and sell them on. I`d love to be there when they open the crates.

Yep spotted this too & was going to post it up but you beat me to it Wingman.....wink 2

I suspect W F Deedes is revolving at high speed in his grave, Hogster, after your implying that the Telegraph is a tabloid......smile o

Great find though....hope it proves to be as good as it sounds.....thumbs up

Interesting that the father of Aung San Suu Kyi was the man who kicked the British out of Burma after WWII.....thinking

Chris I interpreted that to mean that it wasn't worth recovering the Spits because they had been superceded by jet fighters.......the article in the paper says they were left behind for the Karens (an ethnic group fighting Burma for independance) to dig up & use.....smile o

I've heard of burying weapons before but never a whole squadron of fighters......dont know

they deffo said jets, but now its changed, look at the time i was looking at it !!! the spits are MK14s, it says on another news site, yet on another, they just refer to spits, but show the picture of a hurricane!!!! got to be said though, a MK14 is worth, restored, about 1.5million, unrestored, in good nick, about 250k, now then, why would a country let them go,for nothing?? they have been abadoned on burmese property, so, for me, they are the property of the burmese crown, mind you, if cameron gets the embargo on trade lifted, then the burmese will be quids in, for the EU will start sending them OODLES of wonga, blow a few spitifres, eh?

I worked on XVIIIs in the Middle East until 32 Squadron was re-equiped with Vampire IIIs in 1948. My memory tells me that the Spits were packed with their Griffon engines but it was a long time ago. I still love 'em. Bitches to work on but beautiful in the air. I think I'm partially deaf from adjusting carbs just 3 feet away from the port side exhausts. Good luck to the team who is set to dig 'em up. I don't follow the remark that they were buried because of Jets coming along. There were no jets in that theatre then. Could be that they were earlier marks that lacked the performance of the XIV which was the state of the art then in the Far East. Amazing nevertheless.

A bit more detail from Sundays Telegraph.......quite a bit different to the article linked to in the OP.....this talks about them being MK XIV's buried because in 1945 Spitfires weren't really needed anymore so they buried them......much as you see pics of planes being pushed off carrier decks into the sea.....

I suppose the truth will out eventually......there's gotta be a TV program here!!!teeth 2

The PR Mk XI (only one of which was left until now) was the last of the Merlin engine variants and those are in even shorter supply than airframes. A lot depends on whether the Merlins were in the crates or crated separately

Strange things do turn up from time to time so I'd believe that - an intact Sherman tank was found buried when the army was building Long Kesh internment camp (it hadn't been deliberately buried - just somebody parked it off the hard standing and didn't realise that 'kesh' in Irish means a pathway across a bog). Also, an, as yet unidentified, submarine has just been found in Lough Foyle in the past week (the surrendered U-boat fleet was in Derry before being sent out to be scuttled in deep water)