ARTF Riot chat thread

Olly P

I have just seen the first impressions bit on the front page.

I initially saw the photo and thought it was a Wot4 FoamE! If it fly's as well, but has better electronics, then definatly worth a look I think!

Anyone else got any comments? the relevant page is here

Advert

Looks too much like a WOT4.

With so much choice in ARTFs these days, I'm not sure this one will make it onto my wish list.

If I wanted to reminise and have a WOT4 style plane - I'd get a WOT 4. If I wanted an aerobatic hack, then it would be one fo the edge/extra/yak/sukhoi or sbachs. This one seems a bit of an 'in the middle' dogs breakfast, IMO.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 24/04/2012 01:08:21

I wrote off my Hooligan only the year before last in one of those 'oh 'darn' moments, Im on 35, where's my aerial' moments. Tough old beast, but not really comparable with the Wots.

The Riot looks interesting,is it some form of composite material, the wing looks to have an epp(?) core with a skin - see the slide show here

Edited By David Ashby on 25/04/2012 07:59:35

• 2 weeks later...

Mark may have changed the name (its called 'The Devil' to the rest of the world), but its made by Art-tech, and very well it flies too. It doesn't have great speed, but very good pull in the vertical. If the price is right when it hits the UK, it would make a good sports model/sports trainer....much like the Wot-4 wink

prop.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, Mark Tilbury designed the Riot in conjunction with Alan He of Art-Tech, with the UK market in mind. It was always going to be marketed under Century's own Max-Thrust branding. Extensive testing lead Alan to believe there was potential to sell the model elsewhere and after various discussions with Mark it was agreed that Art-Tech would sell the model under the Art-Tech branding with the name "Devil". Oh, and the wing does have a sub-structure, it is not solid foam. So now you know, a UK designed product selling worldwide! Happy Flyingsmiley

I flew a Riot for the first time today. My main comment is that it seems under-powered. I was using an Overlander 2200mah 25C sport lipo, but I just wasn't getting the thrust I expected - and wanted. The flight time was only about 6 minutes and I needed full power to have anything like a riot on my hands! Oddly, it also seems too docile and stable. Very easy to fly, but with increased throws, I still couldn't get enough excitement from it. Any ideas? Better battery? But the model looks fantastic and is well made.

Thanks, Allan, the power train is for 11.1 volts so I'd rather not mess with it, and yes, I am using 3S lipos. I am very keen to see the RCM&E review of this model. I feel there are going to be a few teething problems to iron out. The wheel bolts are going to easily bend on any rough landings as they are so thin. The spindle that fits on the motor shaft seems to be slightly too loose and it's impossible to get the prop assembly on without a slight wobble. But my main concern remains with the power set. It will be interesting to see what others say.

I stand corrected, thank you Darren.

Did you guy's get a foam spinner or a 'proper' spinner with yours? I hope so, the foam spinner is a real pain to balance and needed replacing. Power wise, its odd it see's not to have any real great speed, but will climb and climb in the vertical, great pulling power. A good model and reccomends, what ever name it goes by wink

prop.