A daft question about Phoenix.....

Oldbaldfella

Posted by Pete B on 17/05/2012 20:06:53:

That's interesting - my Spekky Dx6i and DX8 must be left switched off on the sim - it is powered up via the lead.

Pete

Pete I dont think it is powered by the lead, The lead just switches on the power. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news smile

Rusty

Posted by Pete B on 17/05/2012 21:25:19:

Well, it's a day wasted if you learn nothing! Cheers, Rusty!smile

I don't spend a lot of time on the sim and the drain on the Spekky pack is so low I wouldn't have noticed anyway........

Pete

Your right pete I have never noticed the voltage drop yet on the sim, I doubt the consumption would be high due to the fact it isn't transmitting anyway.

I find the spekky kit very good on battery life in the real world, which is always handy I guess

Rusty

The USB port that your plugging your Tx into emites a small amount of power constantly, just like when you connect your mobile phone to your PC you can send data and get a trickle charge at the same time

Pete, funny you say about the Spekky has to be switched off because when I brought mine and was wondering why the SIM wasn't working until I read the instructions and switched off my Tx.

• 2 weeks later...

If the sim cable is plugged in to JR units it goes into the DSC socket (Direct Servo Control) which turns on the controller without powering the transmitter element. The socket allows testing of servos without RF output. It has no facility to charge the battery. I can use my JR controllers for upwards of 30 hours on the sim as the controller alone draws just a few mA from the 8 cell 9.6V battery pack.

If the power switch is turned on the DSC socket is isolated and the simulator will not see the controller.

• 11 months later...
Posted by Jeff Gurney on 17/05/2012 21:48:14:

The USB port that your plugging your Tx into emites a small amount of power constantly, just like when you connect your mobile phone to your PC you can send data and get a trickle charge at the same time

That's fine for a mobile phone with a 3.7v battery, and a "straight" connecting lead.

However USB ports only supply power at around 5v which is never going to charge the 9.6v battery in my FF7 - or even a "low voltage" battery in one of the newer transmitters (typically about 6v.) Furthermore there's an interface 'box' on the lead which doesn't necessarily make the USB power available to the transmitter. I can only measure about 0.7v across any of the bands on the jack plug.

I have one of those simsticks the futaba rx is connected to it and the whole lot is powered from the usb port, tx is switched on remotely binding to the rx. The laptop can then be connected to the tv via hdmi cable and I can sit on the other side of the room to "fly". I actually use a 6 EX 2.4 and a battery charge lasts 4 or 5 sessions on the sim.

Interesting! I hadn't heard of simsticks before. I assume you mean this.

In this case the receiver is powered from the 5v USB connection (no problem there!) and the original Phoenix "dongle" plugs in to the simstick - not to get the signal from the transmitter as it normally would, but to "prove" that you have a legit copy of Phoenix and hence allow Phoenix to run.

Posted by John Privett on 29/05/2013 22:00:34:

Interesting! I hadn't heard of simsticks before. I assume you mean this.

In this case the receiver is powered from the 5v USB connection (no problem there!) and the original Phoenix "dongle" plugs in to the simstick - not to get the signal from the transmitter as it normally would, but to "prove" that you have a legit copy of Phoenix and hence allow Phoenix to run.

Yep, that's the latest version, I've had mine a couple of years now and like it fine. Don't need any upgrades so that's me sorted.

Folks, just bear in mind that although your Spektrum TX turns on when you connect it to the dongle, that does not necessarily mean that it is receiving power from the PC via the dongle. Remember that these days very few power switches actually physically interrupt the power lead, they mostly tell the cpu to wake up from deep sleep. In this case the dongle is doing the same thing, but only to the parts it needs, eg not the RF part of the circuit.

John