Summer's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Advert

Could'nt really have be calmer. The only breeze in the morning caused by the thermals so wind direction completely random!

No thermals in the evening flight but stayed up as slong as my neck could stand - close to 40 mins and on one battery!

An Islander went by quite low - I don't think he saw my plane!blush

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 10/08/2012 22:07:40

Well in answer to the thread question - not enough....

The last time I flew was the bank holiday weekend at the end of may.

finally this weekend the gods lined up to allow me to fly again ...thank you ...

had the most amazing experience last night, flying at our weekend beach near Caernarfon.

Mrs Avtur was walking our two dogs on the beach, I followed a short distance beind ... the beach is a 30 second walk from our caravan ... I hand launched the HZ Super Cub no problems ...

However one of our dogs takes great exception to my hobbies (flying models and fying kites) as soon as the 'cub' was airbourne he went mental .... chasing it and barking his head off. Initially

I tried flying away from him, but that didn't work, so I brought the Cub low and slow acroos the beach and he went mental .... as I flew out over the sea he dived in the water and swam out .... it was hilarious ... I was so focused on flying that I hadn't noticed the growing interest from other people on the beach and the residents of the bungalows at the top of the beach ....

A couple of months ago there was a video that went 'viral' when a dog called Renton was captured on video chasing a heard of dear .... well if anyone would have had a video camera to hand this would have wiped the floor with Renton .... I was focused only fyling so was was not aware of what was going on around me .... but after a few minutes to tunned out there 30+ peaople watching our antics.

I didn't realise about the people watching but I was aware of how our dog was reacting so was deliberately doing low passes just out over the sea to get the dog out there swimmimng...

A short while later after I had landed and was walking off the beach I was rather taken aback by the round of applause from the local residents who had been watching ....

I was pleased with myself after such a break ... but reaction of the folks watching was priceless ...

Erfolg

What I saw was definitely as Islander - with two flat 6 Lycomings - flew directly over head - towards Barton?

Flew the 60" Big Dragon again yesterday evening after the wind calmed down. Stayed up as long as I dared knowing a roast diner was nearly ready. The excuse "got to make use of the conditions" just doesn't seem to hack it!blush

I suspect its pod and boom 'pusher' design that puts the ESC and radio in rather close proximity and the aerial passes relatively close to the motor, effects the radio range when under power.

Definitely get the odd glitch at maximum altitude, particularly when directly over head, which cease as soon as the motor is shut down.

Just as well it glides really well.wink 2

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 13/08/2012 11:13:57:

Erfolg

What I saw was definitely as Islander - with two flat 6 Lycomings - flew directly over head - towards Barton

The Islander is often seen at low level around south manchester, I'll think you'll find it is a police observation aircraft. GMP have heli which is known as "india 99" I think the islander is relates to cheshire police force ....

GMP Helicopter (which is now part of a combined North West Air Support Group and not supported solely by GMP) is called X-Ray India 99.

The Islander is the Sole property of GMP. It is not owned or paid for by any other force and is not part of the above combined Air Support Group. Its callsign is X-ray India 66.

Hope that helps you!!

wink

Guess it was a DH Dash-8 on a low circuit, holding into Ringway. They all can look surprisingly low, the Emitates A380 seems low down often, only to disappear above the cloud base when it encounters one, then reappear. You then realise it is big and high.

I guess we all see the Police and the Air Ambulance helicopters from time to time, in addition to islanders, with the occasional Helicopters apparently landing at either the Man City or United training facilities.

The weather has been uncommonly good recently hasn't it, around South Manchester?

Just got back from the field with my two small depron models. An F22 mid prop pusher, 22inch wingspan, 6mm depron and a Yak-54 made from 3mm depron with 28inch wingspan.

Talk about perfect flying conditions for a quick half hour "stick time" before our field closes at 8:30pm.

I am so glad I charged a few batteries earlier today, managed my first "prop hang" with the Yak and managed some nice high alpha very slow passes with the little F22.

What a hoot! So much more fun than ripping up the roads and risking my life on my big Kawasaki (now sold).

WolstonFlyer, high alpha flying with a F22 sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like to have seen that.

Tonight I had three enjoyable flighjts with the AcroWot, which I'm enjoying flying more than I ever thought I would! The repaired Mini Tyro had an outting too and it seems no worse for its little incident with the car seat!

Then we turned to the main event, maiden the KK Phantom. The little PAW kept loosing compression but with a lock nut from another PAW we managed to fix that. Then many flights were had by all in attendance. I had to practically wrestle the handle away to have a go myself. Sadly though I was the least experienced. Second flight, about a minute in I got dizzy, the line went slack, bang. In she went. The UC came out, the block below the motor has popped off, the front fuse is split wide and the wing has come off. The engine bearers look ok and the rest is fine so I'm hoping some Cyano can have her flying again. Too much fun to throw away! wink

Sorry state of affairs

I have a fear that winter is almost upon us. At least there is Bonfire night and Christmas to look forward to.

Arriving at the field I was the only one, number one sign of winter coming. Then there was the temperature a little cool for august, and finally the grass has stopped growing.

As for flying, yea, it was fine.

I spent some time flying my model over the top of the Hawthorn hedge to the field, with the strong breeze, I was fascinated by the 20-30 foot bounce as I (the model that is) crossed over it. I was surprised how such a relatively minor feature good generate slope lift.

After a short shower, I decided it was time to go home, thinking, it will be a long time until we are promised another heat wave summer. Then again, water shortages seem a ever present threat in the UK, so unlike my holiday in Corsica. Seems so strange, plenty of rain, equals shortages, no rain, equals, no problems, hmmmm.

Back to building I guess.

Posted by David Gilder on 13/08/2012 12:13:15:

GMP Helicopter (which is now part of a combined North West Air Support Group and not supported solely by GMP) is called X-Ray India 99.

The Islander is the Sole property of GMP. It is not owned or paid for by any other force and is not part of the above combined Air Support Group. Its callsign is X-ray India 66.

Hope that helps you!!

wink

Thanks for the update, used to be part of my working life, but not any more so one looses touch, Is the Islander is based at Manchester, just that I work airside there sometimes and don't recall seeing it; presume it would have to live around the Ocean Sky apron?

thumbs up

It's a bank holiday monday, we should all be out flying ... but weather is certainly playing its horrible tricks here in North Wales.

I notice there are approx 20 new posts on the forum in the last couple of hours so I'm guessing the weather is causing havoc elswhere, bank holiday monday should be for flying not posting on the internet ...

Oh well back to holding the caravan awning down ....

I suspect we will have a new title very soon, as at the field it was not Summer. Yes other flyers were in the field when I arrived, and yes they were all seated in their chairs. That is because we all suffering he vagaries of increasing age.

Although the clouds were very high and a light grey, blue was visible, there was a decided chill in the air. The wind speed registered at between 8 -10 mph, it felt a lot faster, due to the bite, the chill of Autumn.

My own flying was without much event, other than my Nobler, was vibrating a bit. An examination at home, found that the propeller was no longer balanced. I guess it was a crash I had recently. Careful examination of the prop indicated no damage, so a bit of a mystery. I balanced the prop with a bit of paint on the light tip, it is now drying.

The propensity to screw out of loops, was apparently down to me. I was pulling to much elevator. As it does large loops nicely. Must post a thread as to the ins and outs of stalling).

My other models flew without incident.

I did notice that two Swallows are still present, although the swarms have gone now. I did notice a black blob race through past my glider at altitude. At first I though must be a balloon, then it moved to the side, and spread its wings, revealing a Buzzard. I am not a bird watcher and did not know the Buzzards essentially stooped, travelling apparently horizontally at speed, I guess I do know.

Eventually the cold got the better od all of us and we trooped of home. In my case dreaming of a summer, perhaps next year there will be one.