35MHz Aerial "Amplifiers"

Reading an old copy of RCM&E last night I glanced through Nigel Hawes article & noticed a bit on aerial amplifiers for 35MHz receivers. These allowed you to shorten the aerial wire to 4-6 inches or so & then plug it into the aerial amp & use a short length of piano wire as the aerial.

Nigel pointed the reader towards GBDmodelaircraft.co.uk but the website no longer exists I believe.

I guess they were an RF choke or similar....Anyone know if such a thing is still available?

I made one 3 or 4 years ago using a 10 uH RF choke (Maplin WH35Q), a small piece or two of heatshrink and 7” of very thin piano wire. I simply soldered the choke to the piano wire (I formed a small loop at the end for safety) and the other end of the choke to the first 4” of the remaining aerial wire and covered the choke with the heatshrink. The figures came from the internet and are supposed to be correct for 35 MHz – it's claimed that range testing before and after the mod. should show a reduction to no less than 85% of the normal range.

Mine worked successfully in a smallish electric powered foam model and flight testing showed no glitching or range problems although I'd have hesitated to use it with anything heavier or faster.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/05/2012 12:05:15

That's the way it goes, I'm afraid, Colin - try finding a 27MHz receiver!

As demand drops so does supply. There may be a "honeymoon" period when old stocks get shifted cheaply but I suspect that's well past now. However, Puffin are still listing 35 MHz Jeti gear so they may be worth contacting.

Otherwise, if you're prepared to risk/test second hand ones there may still be bargains to be had from fellow members/ebay/swap meets etc.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/05/2012 13:28:47

Just to inject a note of accuracy - loading coils on any aerial don't amplify (an 'aerial amplifier' is an active, powered device that literally amplifies the incoming signal - usually called 'boosters' or 'pre-amps' on domestic TVs in fringe areas).

What they are selling are base loaded aerials (you can also top load or centre load). All it's doing is making an electrical length of about 1 metre (1/8 wavelength on 35 MHz)

Centre loaded whips used to be very common on 27 MHz equipment (to shorten the aerial down to a reasonable physical length for an 11 metre transmission)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 29/05/2012 20:44:44

• 3 weeks later...

Well a quick trip to CPC saw some 10uH chokes on the bench, a "victim" Rx & a bit of piano wire....

aerial amp.jpg

A few minutes with a soldering iron & some heatshrink produced this.....

aerial amp (1).jpg

aerial amp (2).jpg

I've fitted a 2mm "bunch connector" at the end.....two reasons...it will allow me to swap from the base loaded piano wire aerial to the previously amputated wire as a comparison & I think will make it easier to install...we'll see....

aerial amp (4).jpg

Now I need to do a range check on the ground......I'll try it with the wire fitted & see how far I get as a "known" standard & then see how the base loaded version works.....if similar I will install the Rx in an (expendable) airframe & see how it goes.....

More news as it comes in (but don't hold your breath.......embarrassed)

Interesting stuff Guys.. Takes me back to my HNC Electronics days, but I tended to go selectively deaf when trannies and RF were mentioned... More of a Logic and programming girl me, hence PIC's...

Thanks for saving me calculating values..

Interested to know the results of your test Steve..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 18/06/2012 12:28:20

I think that could have a disastrous effect on range Steve - using the formula of reactance = 2 x pi x frequency x inductance would make that a high reactance (somewhere around 2Kohms if my calculations are right)

What just might work is a home made coil (cut, say, 18 inches off the trailing wire aerial and make a coil that matches that in length (wrap it and tape it round a dowel if it isn't rigid enough) and insert that in series with the remaining wire. The inductance should be a lot lower than the cored ones you're using.

What is important is the electrical length of the wire (so that it's resonant at 35 MHz). You may have to do a bit of trimming to match it in so that the standing wave ratio doesn't go through the roof

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 18/06/2012 14:46:44

You could well be right Daithi....I'm groping around in the darkness of my RF theory knowledge & just following the path trod by others....see here where a 10uH choke was suggested....

The spec for the choke indicates a resonant frequecy of 35MHz which seemed promising......or am I being hopelessly naive here.....embarrassed...it wouldn't be the first time after all.....a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing....dont know

H'mmm....thats seems to be part of the story Daithi but only part......my limited knowledge tells me theres more to it than that......after all look at what we are replacing here......about 500mm of thin wire.....

My understanding of base loaded aerials is that they are there to "fool" the input side of the receiver that there is a different size of aerial than there really is.......would be good to hear from any radio HAMS or other such gurus....