WOODVALE 2012 cancelled

Just seen on the LMA forum, that due to problems with the airfield have led to this event being cancelled, the event is moving to a local park, but no model fying, shame, although the event had been going donwhill for the model flyer, great steps had been made this year to get it back on steam, great shame,

Advert

Woodvale is my "local" show - and so I'm really sad to hear this. I was hopeful that this year might recapture a bit of the magic for me. I remember many happy Woodvale Shows when I were but a lad. But I agree recent shows have been dissapointing - and last year was the first in many many years that I didn't go. But as I say I was hopeful for this year and was intending to try it again. Very sad - and particularly so for all those that have worked so hard.

BEB

Is it the whole event? Meaning the cars, etc...

Suppose it had been coming to this conclusion for a while - due to the "problems" with the show and "other" things. Lack of traders, hardly any pilots/flyers just killed it off. Went a few years - was ok, but no-where near it's better days in the 90's.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 31/05/2012 22:02:34:

Woodvale is my "local" show - and so I'm really sad to hear this. I was hopeful that this year might recapture a bit of the magic for me. I remember many happy Woodvale Shows when I were but a lad. But I agree recent shows have been dissapointing - and last year was the first in many many years that I didn't go. But as I say I was hopeful for this year and was intending to try it again. Very sad - and particularly so for all those that have worked so hard.

BEB

Couldn't agree more, echoes my own thoughts (except I didn't get to go as a lad, but I'm just a youngster anyway thinking)

everything apart from the planes has moved to victoria park, some say its big enough, some say it will be chaos, last year, i spent time going round the show, usually, woking for YT, there is no time, i was amazed at what there was to see, if the new venue can show this part, then at least something will be salvaged, as for every show havinf a life span, i can only think of 4 shows that have gone, sandown, sywell, leicester, and elvington, all years ago, and one of those is back up and running,

Sandown was one of the biggest shows of the year. One knew its fate on the last year - just was way down on attendence, and the prices were silly (both for traders and admission). That's the problem: costs have risen, and people aren't spending money as they used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, yes it is indeed true. Apparently Asbestos was found on the station and the MoD has closed it to functions such as these. The event has been moved to a local park but apparently there is no facility for flying models.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By David Ashby on 11/06/2012 13:14:23