Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Advert

Dennis

I am talking about it on its back so they are over the tubes when right side up. There is far more than 3mm on mine and they are taped to the frame to prevent them dropping on the tubes when it is right side up..

I separated the motors for redundancy figuring that if say one battery went down I would still have power and by connecting the two inner together and separately the two outer it would balance the power. There is a little extra wire but it can only be a few grams

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took the Vulcan for it's maiden today and did not go well. I have not fitted the retracts and it was a hand launch (several) and I couldn't get it going. There was no wind with the windsock hanging limp. It just doesn't seem to have the power but I guess a 5-10 mph wind may have helped.

I have now fixed a hardwood block in the front retract bay and put a hook in for bungee launch.

When I started this build I soon thought that power would be marginal to say the least. Retracts off grass would be a challenge for electric ducted fans. I decided not to include them on my build, when I received the fan units from hobby king as you can see from my earlier posts I tested them and found they were very inefficient mine only pulled 10A. I uprated the fans with more bladed units and now have about 350watts of power. This is still not a lot but my Vulcan weighs just over 4lbs all up so should fly. I intend to bungee launch it and am building a launch pad to see if this will get it airborne. I will be disappointed if it does not fly as with all the others building it has taken quite a lot of time. My advice to anybody building one now would be to look for more powerful fan units even if that means running 4s.