Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Been having a think about what I am going to do with the Vulcan.

1. Make it into a PSS but I will already have one and I don’t fancy lugging this one up a mountain (hill)

2. Make it back into Tony N twin pusher. Quite a bit of work cutting two wings back and making good. Two motors and two ESC’s

3. Fit a turbine £1200 only joking

4. Buying four 50mm fans that run on 4s. They would give 200g more each ( is that enough) but will need bigger batteries. Fans £24 each plus I will need four ESC’s another £100 =£200.

5. Cut the tail cone back a bit and fit a decent motor with one prop.

If I go for option 2 or 5 I may need retracts to avoid chopping my hand off. £76.00

Option 2 and 5 will put a lot of weight at the back and removing 4 fans from near the front will reduce weight. I could of course use the area where the fans sit for some big batteries.

My Vulcan weighs 1.75 Kg 3.8 lbs

The fans weight 67g each = 268g or .6 lb.

Rough round figures 4 Lbs with one motor and battery. Wouldn’t need a very big motor for that.

I am favouring option 5 what do you guys think.

Advert

Alan

There will be one problem with option 5, when the model rotates to take of, with the Vulcan you will experience prop strikes.

Probably option 2 is the best option, although you will probably need high Kv motors to get the prop dia. down, for similar reasons.

The feed back you guys have made is extremely useful for us modellers, as it has indicated that DF is probably an issue for most of us. Your weights seem quite low to me and I would have expected greater success as built. A great pity. If i build one, it will have to be pusher props it would seem.

Alan, that option 5 actually looks to be a possibility although it would destroy the scale outline. Looking at mine, a 7" prop may be OK but how about a 6" three blader on a fairly high kv motor with a small battery pack in the nose to balance and only provide some extra oomph for take off? It should be possible to mix this in or out as required but don`t ask me how as yet.

Anyone else have any bright ideas on this?

I have not built this, but have a larger B2 stealth I am having similar issues with. I have removed the retracts and built a light weight dolly with large diameter foam wheels and that has been of some use. I have 55mm carbon Vasa fans in it running on 6S, 55,000rpm, 800g thrust at 480W, 4 of those would ROG the Vulcan if it could carry the batteries.

Alan.

Could you get away with uprating two of the fans, leaving two original units, you might even find that the uprated motor and rotor will fit in the original housings. I have two seven blade units and two five blade units in mine. In theory this gives me enough power fro moderate flight but has not been put to the test yet.

Glenn

From watching models such as the Vulcan, and particularly a model Vulcan in one of my clubs, prop strikes are very common.

The reason being, the position of the rear UC wheels, relative to the position of the motors. As the model rotates for take of, the trailing edge of the wing and with the Vulcan, the rear radome, move closer to the ground.

In the case of the radome, it sticks out a lot, even a very modest increase in the angle of attack, brings this item close to the ground. A motor mounted in this position places the propeller arc, almost certainly below ground level, even with a small dia propeller.

When the motors are mounted on the jet efflux positions, the issue reduces, yet remains a potential issue, even when the take of is handled carefully.

Erfolg

Given I don't have retracts I don't think prop strike will be a problem. I would fit a folding prop for landing. I have a big foamie with a big folding pusher prop and even hand launch has never been a problem. I do have a bungee frame so would probably launch from that.

Alan

Mine has not flown yet and by reading these last posts it seems like it never will, I've thought all along during the build that the fans do not have enough thrust to get it off the strip.

What I can't understand is how Tony Nijhuis states what I belive is an unachievable all up weigh he stated the fans used were hobbyking units and gave it a glowing report.

Has anyone had a word with Tony about what is looking more and more like a looser, I'm not a happy chapy I don't no about you guys

I have stripped the 4 fans out of my Vulcan as they are obviously not going to work. I think my best option now is to cut the tail cone down and fit a motor and folding prop. A couple of 4s batteries were the fans used to sit should balance it up. Will need to strengthen the fuse were the fans have been removed. Bungee launch. Not very happy about it.

Posted by Steve Bell 3 on 20/03/2015 17:15:21:

sadIf like me your building the pusher version beware the recommended motors have been discontinued. Darn it

We do have alternative motors for the pusher version which are slightly less powerful but after chatting to Tony this really should not be a problem as the original motors were very powerful

Today I started to get my Vulcan ready for flight after sorting out the bungee launch pad. I had a surprise when it came to balancing the model to get the cg right. This is 200mm back from the leading edge of the wing at the air intakes if I have understood correctly. As I have not fitted retracts I modified the wing during the build to be able to mount the batteries where the rear set of retracts would have been. To my surprise this would have meant an awful lot of lead so I decided to mount the batteries in the nose, as you can see from the photo they are still forward of the position of the nose wheel. I am not aware that I have built the tail end heavy, indeed the model with batteries is just over 4.5 lbs. I also checked the power and according to my measurements came up with 480 watts so it should fly with a bit of power to spare.

photo0159.jpg

Good luck Glen, I hope some one gets a successful flight soon, I need to read some good news about the vulcan before decisions are made with mine. My all up weight with retracts is 4 lb 15oz and it's got the hobbyking 4800kv edf's Tony used with 480g thrust, so by my reckoning I've no chance