Fuel Myths....Busted

What are we to make of the assertion in this months publication by the good people of Model Technics (fuel suppliers to the masses) that methanol "....is only weakly hygroscopic & will have absorbed all the water it is going to by the time it reaches you...." & that "....fuel will not deteriorate with age if kept sealed...."question

Have all the people who keep their fuel in a darkened room surrounded by desiccants simply been wasting their time & effort.....?

Advert

I buy my fuel in bulk (Optifuel) as there is no decent supply locally, my fuel could be up to a year old and I never have a problem, its stored in a dark shed, I have even given 2 year old fuel which had been previously opened to a flying buddy, his two strokes ran perfectly on it.

12mth old coolpower 10% finished off in March, no problems at all.. not the first time I have used this fuel after lay up... cool, dry, dark store area is used for storage when not heading to the flying field.. as I am very shortly.....

Methanol water absorbsion . cant comment ..

But containers condensation, possible.

oil , nitro separation , possibly .

People not shaking their fuel before use.. more than likely.

Emptying fuel from a model tank without a filter back into the container , bet thats happened heaps.

1994!

You don't know you're born you don't! I bought some fuel before it was made and kept it in cardboard box in the the middle of the M25. Then mouth pipetted it into a rusty sc40 with reed valves - started first time. Now that's real aeromodelling! AW eat yer heart out! smile d

BEB

PS a la Monty Python wink 2

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/06/2012 10:32:30

Chemical Definition of Methanol

**LINK**

Methanol is a colourless liquid, completely miscible with water and organic solvents and is very hydroscopic."

Definition of Hydroscopic

**LINK**

Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment. This is achieved through either absorption or adsorption with the absorbing or adsorbing material becoming physically 'changed' somewhat, by an increase in volume, stickiness, or other physical characteristic of the material, as water molecules become 'suspended' between the material's molecules in the process. While some similar forces are at work here, it is different from capillary attraction, a process where glass or other 'solid' substances attract water, but are not changed in the process (for example, water molecules becoming suspended between the glass molecules).

Hygroscopic substances include cellulose fibers such as cotton and paper, sugar, caramel, honey, glycerol, ethanol, methanol, diesel fuel, sulfuric acid, methamphetamine, many fertilizer chemicals, many salts (including table salt), and a wide variety of other substances.

(Note: Hydroscopic has now been replaced by the word Hygroscopic)

Not sure why I have gone green though...

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 12/06/2012 12:12:51

I'm sure there's no argument that methanol is hygroscopic although the Model Technics view of it being weakly hygroscopic differs to the accepted view (I wonder if the methanol/oil mixture behaves any diffrently to pure methanol in this respect?) but the point is that even in a virtually empty sealed container of fuel, there is only a tiny amount of water contained in the air and even if it was absorbed by the fuel, the effect would be insignificant.

Leave the top off and things might be different of course.

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 12/06/2012 11:28:56:

We used to lick road dry wit' tongue .We got our oil for fuel off the top of puddles left by old cars' drips We supped it up and spat it out and filtered it through an old rag we used to sleep under when we weren;t doing 24 hour shifts down the mine 10 miles away

Aye, but you try tellin' tha' to kids today; thou don't believe ya..wink 2

On a more serious note, I have kept a small unstoppered bottle of MT 10% in the shed on a top shelf above the door. I often use a drop this to prime bench run engines and it's never failed to light. Must have been there for about two years.