you started flying models because?

kiwi g

Early this morning I started the power station to charge the batteries for another flying session . I thought about taking a couple of gassers too . but my enthusiasm was lacking .. a couple of hours later I was off with a few old favourites and a couple of new planes .. When I got to the field it was cold and slightly windy . powered up my new greatplanes F20, hand launched and a slight recovery to the right was required just befor it bit the dust .. not much damage .. Not to be put off I got out another unflown plane , HK MX2. powered up , a couple of curcuits , a few rolls a loop , not bad for a test fly , nice plane .. The weather was cold so off home I went .. For some reason when I got home ,the flying session had seemed more like a chore rather than the fun it use to be ..

Why ..

Thinking about it , I now have too many planes .. too many batteries , too many motors , too many radio sets . Im tripping over planes in my hanger ,yet cant get off the trade sites ,looking at all the latest and greatest.

Brings me to my point . why .

I use to fly slope and loved every minute of it .. then progressed to power. in the early days it was a challenge just to fly .then as time went by and skills improved , damage was less .

I use to build my planes but now buy arfs. TOO EASY.

So Im now thinking ,get rid of some of the foamies and arfs , make a bit of room and start building again .. the planes will come along at a slower pace , but thats ok , the money spent will be at a slower pace ,thats ok

So im thinking I am going to go back to basics . clean out keep it simple and enjoy the hobby,

just like i use too . wink 2

Edited By kiwi g on 17/06/2012 09:39:43

Advert

Yep, Kiwi- you may need a couple of mates that like to build, fly,( crashncr-y while the others a laughing) you know what i mean. I miss that style. i too learnt to fly on the slopes, my Dad, brother and cousin, we were all learners at the time and man did we have some laughs crashin, bashin havin a coldie (but not that horrible Lion lager) while waiting for glue to dry. Man I miss it and i have been goin through the same feelings over the years i think getting to serious is a chore basic stuff easily and cheaply repaired or replaced is where im going again,

cheers from across the ditch.

I started modelflying because...

• My life would not be complete if I hadn't, something in the blood
  • I just had to fly aeroplanes but somehow missed joining the RAF, civil aviation etc when I was young enough to get into it and after that I couldn't afford to do it privately
  • I love to see aeroplanes making big sweeping manoeuvres - wouldn't it be great if I could be in control of an aeroplane doing those
  • Eventually health issues made it clear that I would never be able to get a PPL to fly solo full size - no more waiting about, time to do what I can do - take up model flying.

The list of other benefits since taking up model flying riendships, keeping active etc. extend to infinity.

So not only did I have a deep seated desire to get into model flying, I also have good reasons for continuing to enjoy it.

Ah, bliss heart

Sounds to me like you're an Aeromodeller rather than a R/C Flyer! 90% of the people at my patch only fly ARTFs or RTFs/BNFs. I can't help but feel if they did a bit of building they'd enjoy the hobby more. But it does take patience- I've been building some of my planes for years now! Still- it's fun so that's not necessarily a bad thing, just means it's not the instant gratification of an ARTF/BNF type plane.

I started flying models because my wife bought me a kit for my birthday after seeing models flying outside our flat in HongKong. I never did get to see their runway, and their "circuits" seemed to be in a vertical plane due to the shortage of horizontal space.

Nowadays I spend most of my time building, and I tell others that I fly just to check that what I've built can fly. That's partly true, but it's relaxing too.

Like Ian above..

I think seeing a Heli flying at you and banking over, is a fantastic sight.. To control one doing that is also ace... Not a real one, but that's never gonna happen,no matter how much I dream, so scale models is it... The more scale, the better

Then planes came about as a 'relaxation exercise' after Heli flying, and I got hooked on that too, but in a different way to Heli's...

Scaling a Heli is nice, but with plastic Mechs, you're just 'blinging' it up, Building planes is a far more involving task..

Creating a magnificent flying machine YOURSELF, from bits of balsa is a very satisfying experience. Takes me back to my electronic days, creating something from bits..

I'm deffo a builder, more than a flyer, but enjoy both...

Sometimes (this last two weeks) I just don't feel like building, and I feel guilty for not doing anything.. Other times i'm in the model room ALL my spare time...

I just hope I can continue doing it for many years to come..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

- it seemed like a good idea at the time! (yeah right! At 9 years old. I just wanted to go out with my big brother)

But I soon caught the bug. Been at it on and off for 50 years now.

It's nice to chuck a foamie/ARTF in the boot 'just in case' but the best days out are with friends something scratch/kit built where some love and attention has been expended in its creation. It only needs to be a simple build but I get a real buzz thinking "I made that!"

The enjoyment is also about cameradery. The days are definitely better flying with friends and clubmates. Even if I end up with nothing to fly ie. I've crashed!, its still a joy.

Even taking SWMBO with me to an otherwise deserted slope is good but, somehow, flying alone? I'd rather be in the workshop building.

Just to clarify, for me its a hobby, not a sport, and I have no issue at all with those who don't want to spend hours building. I admire those who put in hours at the patch or slope, or even the workshop perfecting their skills - but I'm much more relaxed about it.

Ian

Edited By Rentman on 17/06/2012 13:11:21

I built static models for years. Whenever anybody asked me if I flew as well, I told them I wasn't interested.

Then for some unknown reason, I suddenly got the bug and wanted to be able to fly what I built. I still can't fly well enough to keep my builds in the air, so ARFs and other peoples old builds will do the business for the time being.

My build rate is glacially slow though. So by the time I can fly well enough, maybe I'll have one of my own creations ready to fly!

Hugh

I grew up surrounded by models, my Father was an exhibition flyer for a couple of manufacturers before he bought Kamco so family holidays revolved around the shows.

Started off with little freeflight models, took to R/C at about 9/10 years old.

I'm 45 now and still playing with my toys!!! smiley

I worked in Air Traffic Control for years and even though I left that job, I never lost the love I'd developed for aviation, and how planes fly, in particular. A couple of years ago, I saw a Parkzone Radian soaring over my local park and I stood watching it for ages. When it eventually landed, I talked to the pilot who was only too happy to answer my questions. As it turned out, he taught me how to fly and I was quite surprised that I was actually rather good at it. I suppose having an understanding of flight mechanics helped in avoiding stalls etc.

Lately though, my enthusiasm has waned. While I do spend hours tinkering with my planes, adding flaps, retracts etc, I don't fly much anymore. Tbh I think I've lost my confidence to throw a plane into the air and enjoy the flight like I used to do. Lately, I just think about "what if she crashes? ". A mate has told me to "ignore the voices and go fly. If it comes to grief, so what?" he says. Wise advice but more easily said than done I'm afraid.

I started just for fun with some cheap 2CH helii bought (for children devil ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.) from Aldi store. After that wanted more, so had another heli, and then three foamies. In first instance, just wanted to fly, till I started to build. First Sharkface was flying well, but ended upon the tree... I could buy foamie trainer after that, even seen some of them and was almost clicking "buy one", but it's not for me... Just can't do it, it gives me no pleasure at all, despite that I can't say I'm good pilot... By now, another Sharky is almost ready...

Hmmm... I've heard some advices, that I shouldn't build for now, or fly models like my Sharkface... And for some people that might be stupid, but that feeling, when self-built plane gains airspeed and starts to climb is totally priceless to me. So instead of soulless, mass production foamie, I got some stuff to get my construction airborne. Even if I crash it - quick fix, new prop, and up and away!

Here She is.... Just wing tips, sanding and covering left to be done... Will finish it tonight and wait for nice weather to maiden her...

p170612_0352.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/06/2012 22:05:58

I became a widower at 52, and needed something to fill a very empty space. My neighbour introduced me to his passion for building model aircraft ( he's currently building a half scale Luton Minor!) and took me along to his club. After a few months on their waiting list I was able to join. This has been a life saver for me, it's introduced me to so many people that have become good friends.

I've become reasonably proficient in the art of flying and have just finished my second build, a 96" span sport plane with a 55cc DLE up front.

I can't imagine life without my hobby now, the only problem is keeping my hands in my pocket when I visit the shows. Wings and Wheels next weekend, bet I come home with something!!!!!

• As a kid i was an Airfix fanatic and was getting interested in RC becasue I wanted to fly a Spitfire! Then came teen angst, girlfriends, beer, a career and marriage etc etc. The Airfix collection ended uo on a fire...
  • I would have loved to have been a professional pilot but a perforated eardrum at age 11 put paid to that...
  • 18 years ago I mentioned in passing to a friend that I had always fancied having a go at RC and then a Supermascot kit arrived for Christmas. It too me ten years to build that model to flying standard....I paid for lessons and then I really had the bug!
  • Now in my fifties I help run a club and fly sports & scale in a way I never dreamed of....so I guess my life long passion for flying and model building is coming home to roost

Jon

My dad built planes during the war when he was a lad. After I was born and was growing up he built me the various KK rubber powered and glider models, and at about 8 or 9 I had a go myself at the KK Elf. At about 12 our asperations combined and we built our first control line model; a Mercury Marvin with a second hand ED Super Fury. By then we built, and I flew. We continued through control line and tow line glider models through my teens, culminating in a KK Mini Super with an AM 15 and a RCS Single Chanel RC system when I was 17. I then did very little for a number of years until the guy next door got me back into it in my mid to late 30s. Since then, apart from a bit of a blip when my first wife died, its been RC ever since. Still supported by my dad right up until he died. I only wish he could see the little PZ foamies that we race round the local sports hall at indoor sessions. He would be amazed that someting little bigger than those we first started with can fly for 10 minutes under 'full' control.

always like aircraft, built every airfix kit going, half crown pocket money spent on a 1/72scale something or other, bigger ones took a few weeks pocket money, then graduated to the horrible kiel kraft flying scale series, got to 15, saved like mad for a graupner dandy kit, bought my first radio, a gem 2 channel(oh dear) flew the dandy when the radio was in a mood to work, found out about girls, then beer, sold the lot, courted, got married, for first anniversary, got a tryo major kit, and an OS 25 max---boy, does she regret that now!! bought my first radio, futaba m series, 12 months interest free credit with Jim Davis models, been obsessed with it for years now, but lately, very bored with the whole thing, to the point of being careless, this cost me my TA152 last week, i am really thinking of a huge clear out, and actually building something, if it comes off, i will let you know!!

This time round I was on my honeymoon, in Jersey, and we were driving round the island and spotted a small aeroplane doing aerobatics. Sought out the field that it was operating from and had a watch, and a chat with the fellers who were flying. I said to my new missus "Remember when I used to build those?" referring to the control liners I'd built with my nephew. Didn't think much of it, but the idea must have taken root then.

Anyhoo, when the little 'un came along, I thought it would be a nice way to spend some time together, so went down to the local model shop, where I already bought my boxes of scalpel blades for work, and chatted to the staff there, who pointed me in the right direction. Built a Uno-Wot and learned to fly, making some good friends intio the bargain, with the aim of being competent to teach my boy, when he was old enough.

It's been a pleasure, and if there is a better lad and dad hobby, I don;t know of it. We had a great time and a lot of laughs and made some more good friends, as well as meeting lots of nice, like -minded people. Now, with my boy all grown upand having flown the nest, it's a bit more of a solitary pastime than it was, and losing my best flying pals hasn't been overly encouraging, in terms of getting out there and flying.

Still a cracking hobby though, and highly recommended. For those who are lucky enough to have their children involved, make the most of it, the time goes by so fast. yes

leccy, i think thats similar for me, i used to enjoy watching the lad fly, he was poetry in motion, a gifted pilot, when he jacked it in, i lost all interest, and to be honest, have struggled to keep it, i too have lost friends, some have jacked it in, some have passed away, i honestly think that if i start getting rid of gear, then i wont stop till its all gone,

Like Alan, started on Airfix, freeflight, control line, then my Dad started RC when I was about 11 and gave me a go and went solo after a couple of months. that was it 30+ years later it still gives me a huge buzz. Have been involved in just about every aspect of the hobby ever since.

I had no choice.

My Dad made most of his career around aviation - firstly in the RAF during WW2, then he moved to the CAA afterwards (unitl the mid 70's). So aircraft were an integral part of my own upbringing from an early age.

So, even though I left the hobby alone for 25 years after I set out on my own, it was always there in my soul.

tim