Hobby King models thread

Posted by Scott Cuppello - HobbyKing on 16/07/2012 13:51:16:
Posted by NigelH on 16/07/2012 07:48:06:

Thanks Scott. Will we be seeing more new items in the UK warehouse today ? smiley

Much more to come but shipping containers is not exactly an exact science!

Of course. Now, if you could just look for the KK2 boards please wink

The Chipmunk and Bulldog look like the real thing YT make some lovely models

Codename-John - I fancy one of those Radjet 800s bargain for under £39 I have a brushed twinjet I was going to convert to brushless but doesn't seem worth it when I can get one of those Radjets so cheap.

Thanks for pointing them out!!

Dean

Hi Scott!

Just wondering what HK UK's policy will be on spares. Will it be like HH or C UK where nearly every part is available (if not always in stock wink) or will it be like some others - what spares? I suppose it might depend upon what model, but Its nice to know that all is not lost in the event of a crash.

HK in the home of the 'tractor boys' - who would have thought it? teeth 2teeth 2teeth 2

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 16/07/2012 17:36:29:

This ia a GREAT free advert thread, can we start a YT international thread as wellteeth 2

Yes, after HK have sent me loads of free stuff wink

Seriously though, when have we seen such a massive influx of easily available low-cost models onto our shores ? This is a great chance for a lot of modellers to aquaint themselves with lower cost modelling. Last year, I told myself that I was going back to the budget park flying that first got me started. I've flown a GWS Formosa for more hours than anything else. Really good flying for the money. Instead, I then went on to spend more than £1000 and I've barely been able to use it,

Posted by Dean on 16/07/2012 19:37:39:

The Chipmunk and Bulldog look like the real thing YT make some lovely models

Codename-John - I fancy one of those Radjet 800s bargain for under £39 I have a brushed twinjet I was going to convert to brushless but doesn't seem worth it when I can get one of those Radjets so cheap.

Thanks for pointing them out!!

Dean

Quite. I was thinking about buying depron for some budget flying but by the time that you've been out and bought carbon and so on it's not that budget any more.

Check out this review of the Radjet 800 that I've seen before and thought was reasonable.

At the prices you have quoted the Radjet seems excellent value. That is based on how much it has cost me to build a Depron Delta, just a little larger.

As for performance, it seems it will take some beating.

I will keep an eye out for it.

Just bare in mind the CoG if you get one, its wrong in the instructions, if i remember it says it should balance towards the front of the finger holes on the bottom but thats way to forward, i have butchered a bit out of the middle and slotted my battery as far back as possible

Heres the "battery bay"

dsc00061.jpg

And heres where the battery actually goes to balance it correctly

1342467208273.jpg

you wouldnt fit a 2200 in, if its not very clear from the pics, ( theyre sort of 180 degrees to each other, but i thought the magnet placement might make it clearer, i dont know how to rotate them on here ?)

its nose heavy, the battery is as far back inside the plane as it will go, for a 2200 you`d have to have it in the battery bay and then add considerable weight to the tail, which would obviously affect the flying

I sent Scott a PM about the FK 10 and I hope he wont mind if I post the reply here:

Hi Tony, yes, I am sure we will eventually......we have lot's of "it's British" planes you may have noticed, 2 more about to be released, ......with more coming! There are advantages to having Brit's in the Product team!

I have not posted what the 2 about to be released are incase it is hush-hush. I don't want to tread on anyones toes here.

I have to say there are, by the sounds of it, some cracking models about to come out! If they fly as well as they look then I'm in for a treat!

BTW I have absolutely NO involvement with HK whatsoever.Its just that their latest models have hit my sweet spot!

The Vampire flies!

Our HK Vampire that this thread started with has, this morning, completed 3 test flights. It took off from smooth, but quite long grass, and flew for about 5 minutes on a Gens Ace 2250 4s. There would be space for a slightly higher capacity pack - 3000 say.

The handling was very smooth, with enough power for decent size loops. Rolls are reasonably. axial, and the "sit" in the air is just right. She slows up nicely for the landing, in fact Rob took 3 attempts on the first flight as it tends to float with that big wing.

The most striking feature is the noise - it's the most jet-like EDF I've heard, not too noisy either. For anyone thinking about trying a small EDF, your £90 could not be better spent. Well done HK, now can we have a Seahawk, or Jet Provost, or even a Meteor?

I'll post some photos when we've sorted them out.

Posted by glyn grist on 15/07/2012 21:14:15:

Hi TC, TBH I'm pretty new to planes, only been flying about seven or eight months, got most of my airtime flying helis and now can throw the PZ foamies all over the sky, also fly the Nigel hawes Tucano, 39", both of impecable manners. Thought I would give this thing a try for a bit of 'sport' style flying. Now I've heard of tip stall but not sure what it is TBH but this plane just gave no indication it would drop it's nose so drastically when slow flying, had 4/5 flights and did experience it whilst high aloft and took an age to recover, just refused to glide, had been running with c/g too far forward but on it's final run was set to specs' and now it's been despatched to the bin so will never know. Actually broke my heart to bin it, nothing to do with the $, more a personal goal and pride dented. Thanks for the heads up garbo and Chris..........G

I'm no expert but i converted a vmar extra to electric (never flown an extra) and although on the maiden it flew very well, it just went where you pointed it, on the landing approach it just tip stalled and flew very quickly into the ground - totalled. It stalled during the turn in to final approach. In hindsight i should have powered it through the turn, as I have read that these types of planes have to be flown all the time.

I'm sure i've also read that they like to be powered all the way in on landing - sounds like they do not glide at all!