Age groups of modellers

Fats Flyer

Advert

Hi all

Happy new year from a 68 year old. Starting building in the 50'ies. With years abroad, flying line models among other places in Zanzibar, East Africa, I am now a retired civil servant who again has taken up building and flying models. My next project will be a Hawker Hunter. I am into electric  fiddling with cd rom motors, and hope to use one in a EDF for the Hawker Hunter. Anyone with experience in homemade EDF, or links to such experience?

Knud

Hi all, I came back to the hobby about 18 month ago after a small gap of about 50 years! I'm 67 going on 20 - I wish! My original training was on Keil Kraft and Veron like so many others. I build both ARTF and balsa. Currently building the Spitfire by Tony Nyjuis and also a little parasol from RCMW. Like others I'm not sure that I don't prefer the building although that's probably because I'm still learning to fly - it should be easy shouldn't it! So far I've developed a lot of skill at re-building my first RC plane the GWS Estarter which is now basically epoxy with a little foam around it - but it still flies beautifully and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out. I bought a second hand Rascal 40 from another club member and am preparing myself to fly it but that means an whole new set of variables with a IC motor but I'll get there Great reading this forum and leaning from it. Reg

I am 75 years old . I got into  modeling in the mid 4o's  when I saw  some bloke flying a

Kiel craft  EAGLET  on Blackheath SE London. That did it for me -----I was hooked.

Many years later I got back in  with R?C  as a member of the Bromley Club in SE London.

We had our flying field in Eynsford in Kent , but the farm land where we flew was taken over

and we lost it. That was back in the 80's if I remember correctly.

On Boxing day last week my son gave me a Spitfire kit by West Wings containing printed

sheet balsa I've made a start on it. It's like being a kid all over again.  Will I complete it?

I hope so. Will I fly it? I doubt it. As a registered disabled I can't see myself running 

across my local park in New Eltham to retrieve it. But it brings back some wonderful

memories of my youth.

A happy new year to all members  Have a good building and crash free flying year

Tom Reed 

Hi All

Have been building and flying continously since 1953 when a uncle of mine gave me a Keil Kraft SE5 rubber powered kit, a solid model of a Sunderland flying boat as a bag of bits. I was only 11 at the time so needless to say this was the start of my learning curve, unsuccessfull I might add. I started flying control line in 1955 and am still flying control line models although they tend to be more sedate ones these days. I have always built from plans either my own or commercial (APS etc) I also fly vintage radio assist, free flight where I can. Have never had any real contact with ARTF's etc preferring to build. To me I get the greatest of pleasure from designing and building, the flying is just the proof of the pudding! I appreciate that people do not have the time, inclination or maybe the skills needed and it keeps the hobby alive and kicking no matter how they go about it. Lets face it, the SMAE started calling themselves British Model Flying Association so that says it all really. despite my prefered disciplines, I follow all other modelling activities with great interest. Will be getting my Old Age Pension in a few month's so I look forward to at least another 15 to 20 year's of modelling. who know's, I might even get around to trying ot some of these electric powered ARTF's

Regards to all and a Happy modelling New Year

Trevor

Hi all. 64yrs old last week, started building at 7, first plane Beechcraft Bonanza, Jetex Hunter profile, burnt fingers every flight!!..Next, D H FoxMoth, copied the full size that I had my first flight in of Southport beach.Best 10 bobs worth ever !!. Control line though to 40 yrs old, when Bertie Barnstormer  got me into Radio, Thanks mate!!. I like to build daft planes some of which you might have seen in the 'mags,Transavia Airtruck,  {Mad Max, }.

Breda 15, Latest project is Chance Vought V-174 twin electric, scale about 1-6 ,got 3 view from factory web site, have a look, just put V-173 into Google.  Don't laugh, the prototype flew well.

Happy New Year and safe flying to all. 

Hi All,

Now almost 65, I have been building and flying models on and off since I was 10. Started with free flight rubber power then onto C/L. Favourite was KK Stunt Queen with ED 3.46 Hunter. Also designed and built own C/L combat planes. Built a Veron kit (can't remember the model - it was high wing similar to modern trainers) with single channel home built radio and clockwork escapement. Came back to modelling at various time over the years when working abroad allowed. Joined Aberdeen club 2 years ago with 2nd hand Raptor. Got back into fixed wing last summer thanks to Hartlepool MFC while working on Teeside. Hoped to get A cert but weather prevented it. Now back in Aberdeen I hope to get my Bronze this summer (weather permitting). I would like to scratch build (I have a collection of plans going back to Aromodeller Magazine plans from the 50's onwards) but have no work room at present so have to go the ARTF route. I would prefer to build and fly scale models. I have an ARTF 80" J3 Cub which I am building slowly as the incentive to pass my Bronze!

Best wishes for the new year to everyone.

Gordon.

67yrs old, should know better but have just got back into r/c after a lay-off of about 10yrs, I have always built in the old fashioned way, far more satisfying than flying something out of a box,I know then that when I stick it, it stays stuck,too many stories about poorly glued  artf jobs, these old peepers are not quite what the used to be, so it's got to be big and slow now,72" Bi-stormer should get me back on the sticks.

Hi and a happy new year

I am 43 and started building 3 years ago. Always wanted to build and after 2 years fustration and enjoyment I finally completed a spitfire with a 6foot wing span. Have ran it around our garden and on the road, much to the amusement of my neighbours but hope shortly to join a club and ask some kind (and brave) person to try and fly it. Strangly it was the building, not the flying that I wanted to do. Been advised by a friend to build a top wing trainer so I could learn to fly as well but I fancy building a Bi-plane and leave the flying to others.

I am just about to become 60. Surprised that there are so many out there of my generation with computers to read this since many have yet to buy their first computer radio! I started at about 10 with a Jetex heli, then a KK c/l Spit. which never flew cos the DC Bantam would not start. I got a Veron Cardinal, which I believe is still available, and flew it into a lake when someone kindly showed me how to start the Bantam. Could not see the sense in using clear dope on the white tissue since I wanted mine painted red! I was given some valve gear which belonged to a deceased uncle from Scotland who I believe was quite high up in the modelling hierarchy. (Douglas Patton) It consisted of a ECC Telecommander 951A Rx and ED ground based Tx complete with 8`6" aerial, with a mercury switch to cut off the actuator supply when the model went into a death spiral due to loss of signal, which was frequent. The Rx, with its single valve, was suspended on four rubber bands. Then came the RCME UK Rx which anyone could build and they all worked. The RCME Tinytone all transistor Rx followed which was the size of a postage stamp and got me hooked on small models. Needless to say, when you build your own gear you also build and design your own models, which I have pretty much done ever since. The experience with basic electronics gave me a good background for my subsequent career, and the many other skills learned the hard way in modelling have proven invaluable in later life. I flew top level aerobatics in the 70`s but now tend towards the scale side due to slowing reactions, failing eyesight etc. but building models from scratch will always be a passion. You get maximum satisfaction from the hobby this way. So there! - you pseudo modellers!

I started aeromodelling with a Veron Magpie FF glider in the early 60s and progressed through FF power, Control line to Single Channel RC ( RCS) in about 1965/6. I had a brief flirtation with Multi Channel reed R/C but was not very succesful.

Since buying my first set of Proportional R/C in 1969 (Simprop) I have built traditional kits, built from plans and even built a few OD models. I do enjoy building but the convenience of ARTF and the fact that you would struggle to produce something similar to the same quality for the price means I have not done much traditional building of late.

My last actual build was about two years ago and is an Aeromaster Biplane, a design dating from the 60's. I built several of these in the 70's from plans (quite a laborious build) but this was from a Great Planes kit that i picked up off the BMFA classifieds web site. It flies as well as I recall the other did and has repaid the build time many times over in the enjoyment it gives.

Hi All

Now over 70, I have been into modelling since the war years. Started with solid wood models that appeared to be from old orange boxes. House move in 1947 meant new school. Saw control line being flown by an older pupil and was hooked. Within a week or two I had a KK Phantom Mite with AMCO .87. This same motor went into KK Slicker Mite, Southerner Mite and several others over many years.

Since these early years I have continued to build using balsa and ply. Some kits in the 70s and 80s like Wot 4 and Acro Wot. But mostly now from plans. I prefer to use a proven design and then add my own mod to it. Currently building the Nijhuis Spitfire adding retracts and flaps. This will have electric power as do most of my current crop of 35 models.

My club membership is similar to others mentioned. Around 20 members in total with half retired. We do have a couple of youngsters being groomed by a father and a grandfather. More youngsters are needed if the hobby is to survive. Once the present pensioners have passed on the model shops will be in terminal decline without new modellers to support them. A sad state. 

Hi, I will be at the top end of the age spectrum.  I restarted aeromodelling at 70yrs, after a layoff of 52 yrs!  I have now done (all electric) ARTF,  a trad. kitbuild, and two scratch builds, while learning to fly, and they all still survive thanks to good instruction - a steep learning curve!

Hi

I'm 62 and have at long last got into the hobby. So far I have bought 2nd hand and 1 artf. The latest being a part finished bipe which I intend to complete in time for my A licence!!  My first model was an 83" Piper Cub, then a quarter scale Stampe, then the sensible Tutor 40 ARTF, Then a Top Gun Spitfire and finally today the part finished BiPlane.  My mentor at my flying club keeps telling me off when I buy these planes for him to fly for me!!

Hi Im 60 this year and have just started RC airplanes, back in 1961 I was into control line flying and just by chance I saw the plan of the plane I made back 47 years ago I sent off for the plans a Keil Krarft Marquis for 1 1/2cc  I built the  plane and got a lot of pleaser doing it, so this has started me off on to RC, I have been given as a xmas presant ARTF kit 62 wing span for training and have just compleated it with new radio gear.

I have just contacted my local club SEBRFC not far from Yateley were I live,the club is full at this time so I am on the list to become a member as I will need training and have been told that the club has trainers,I got this info from a gent who works in The Slough Model Shop.

Any way I am going to atemp to build a Plain that was in RCME mag the Hawker Typoon I will cheat just a bit and get the wood and canopy set for just over £120 so I am looking forward to making this model, I can remember getting just as much plesuer making kits as flying them, back then it was more offten back to the bench for repairs.

Regards

Dave 

Hi, heard this "buzzing" sound on the town oval, had to have a look , A man in the centre flying this plane on 2 wires, That started, my love of model aircraft,I was 9 yrs old. After working on weekends, saved enough money for a "Tiapan" trainer, Taipan Blue head 2.5cc engine, (Aussie kit and motor), now 59, DC3 kit in the box , but I have to finish of  the westland whirlwind, 78'' before i start a new one, yes I scratch build. Regards Barry 

Can anyone  help me please?

after many years away from the hobby I'm now 75 ------I'm getting back into a hobby that

served me well in my youth at the end of the war.

I've got a lot of balsa that I located in my loft along with a number of plans.

My question is this,where can I obtain the FLAT RUBBER from an internet source or is there

any member that has any they wish to sell me.

Thank you Tom Reed 

The flat rubber was a product for the wine growing industry, used to attach  the growing grape vines to the support fences. It was produced in a yearly batch in limited amounts by Pirrelli. They probably use plastic ties nowadays, so you may have a problem finding any.

Hi all, interesting thread. I am 43 , 44 this month. I started out building because that was the only way. I have to say that sadly I hate building and was delighted when "disposable " models came along. My best build is a very nice Flair pup which i never fly because I built it.

Sad really, if I had bought it I wouldn't mind flying it ,but it took two years to build and I hated every minute of it. I hate still more the thought of wreaking all that hard work so it has hung from the shed roof for 17 years! I do enjoy maintenance though and I won't bin an ARTF if I can fix it. I just do not have any attachment to them. I guess that if I hadn't cut my teeth on trad kits I would not be able to do such careful repairs. I love tweaking and modifying too. I have just had a wonderful time making a carbon fiber boom for my E sky Lama 4, but it only took a day. I think it is because I just love flying that I have no patients for building. It used to kill me trying to get a kit together in record time so that I could fly it, so my models always looked very scruffy.  Go well all. F

Hi all. I am 71 and started modeling around 1946 I think my first kit was made by Astral but the wood was very poor quality so I don't think I finished it. I then progressed to glider. rubber, Jetex, control line and finally R/C. Many were kits but I did and still do build from plans. I also have a few A.R.T.F. planes. In the eighties I branched out into model boats and still have a few but alas I have not used thm for many years.Many of the Kielkraft, Mercury and Veron  models are still available in plan form from the designer Phil. Smith who I believe is now over over 90 years young. I have obtained the Veron Skyskooter plan from him and intend to build this soon for electric power, a sort of nostalgia trip as this was the first R/C model that I ever built with a Taifin Hobby diesel engine and E.C.C. Telecommander valve radio, it was not very reliable but when changed to an R.C.S. Guidance System R/C, it flew very well. I also bought the Veron Fournier motor glider. Beebug and Stunter Mk.II C/L plans. I still enjoy building and flying but not when the weather is to cold. I made the 60 four stroke engine called the Matador from a plan and scaled up a drawing in an American magazine for a plane called a 4-60 it worked out at 6ft span and the Matador pulled it around the sky very well. I am also interested in steam engines so have a go at making some them from time to time. All this activity and having many "toys" helps to stop me from going to seed.