Age groups of modellers

Fats Flyer

Advert

Hi Royden and Jetsome -yes I admit -I'm not top of the age tree -but give me time and I'll get there !lol

All I can say is that age doesn't matter -unless you are a cheese of course ! -so keep going and as they say "keep on trucking"  Never did know what that meant really

I keep trying something new -and right now thinking of a Tri-Motor -I have 3 x Irvine 25,s

Anyone got plans I can borrow ??

Hi, I'm 55 and am currently about to scratch a serious helicopter itch which I've had for many years. I started with Airfix as a lad and then aged about 12, made most of a Keil Kraft high wing rubber band job (name long since forgotten) supervised by my dad who did the 'difficult' bits. It flew a couple of times and then was remodelled in a domestic accident (I really don't think that mum intentionally disrupted the line of the wings but it didn't get repaired).

Exams and an apprenticeship got in the way but I did start building a 5" guage steam loco and then a family/mortgage etc got in the way of that so it was all passed over to dad who did a sterling job on all of the really difficult bits (boiler build and cylinder machining). He's now passed on and guess what? Yup, it's still not finished. I plan to do that when I have reclaimed the workshop from its current state of DIY/Garden Storage chaos and reassembled the lathe.....

Somewhere along the line I rekindled my interest in plastic and put a couple of reasonably successful 'superdetailed' models into the Model Engineering Show when it was held at Olympia.. oh, the good old days!!! Then, I got interested in scale r/c car racing and entered club competitions for three years.... I got beaten by a bunch of teenagers on a regular basis, but that wasn't the point. I was having a lot of fun, which was the point!

Dad could not really see the merit in plastic, having been a metal and wood man all of his life but to take up a point from previous posts, I feel that if ARTF, plastic and bolt-together gets the younger generation interested in modelling then it is all to the good as a certain proportion of them will get interested in building. That's where our future builders will come from, surely?

So, although I haven't actually built an aircraft for decades, in my heart of hearts I would like to think of myself as a builder... well, a temporarily lapsed builder anyway. I always seem to suffer from too many interests and not enough time, but I guess a lot of you will be familar with that problem.

When I've finished scratching this helicopter itch, I hope to get onto fixed wing stuff and it will definitely be a build-not-buy effort. There, I've put it into print, so I'd better keep my word, if only to be true to myself!

Chris,

You could not have hit the nail on the head more squarely if you'd tried! Youngsters are interested in "instant" results, if it takes time to build a flying model then they loose interest; hence the ARTF market. But if even a small percentage go on to building from "the-bottom-up" then our hobby will survive.

As a fixed-wing addict for more than 30 years I tried rotorcraft and couldn't get my thumbs round it!

I'm 68, returning to the hobby after retirement. Enjoy building from plans but ARF's useful to keep the tranny fingers nimble while the BIG build proceeds. As many of you did, started in my teens with Gliders (Walthew - from an Aeromodeller plan, anyone remember that one?) and control-line (KK Phantom Mite with ED Bee diesel motor!). Current project is a Mosquito from a Traplet plan - designed for i/c but I'm intending to power with outrunners.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 58, and have been building models since the mid 50's. I first started with KK and Veron rubber powered kits, (I still have some) then on to control line with a KK spectra and Talon, along with some smaller ones. I still have some of my old deisels. Mills p75 and 1.3, ED Comp Special 3 ED Bees, DC Dart, A couple of Merlins, 3 Wasps and a Sabre. I'm currently building a 1937 Wigdor Wasp for one of the ED Bees for Old Warden in May along with some Ebernezers !. Also last year built a Merlin powered KK Pirate and Rubber powered KK Gypsy With a hand carved prop. Got into Radio with RCS single chanell and rubber powered ascapments, then moved onto galloping ghost (still have some of the kit). Slope soaring with a Veron Impala and KK Elmira, and currently have a Caggy (EPP flying wing, Little UN, and two gliders in the garage). Love electric as I find it a challenge and currently fly a 32" dipstick, two Jet Cats, a Green air D Tyke, 52" EP trainer based on my old Calder Craft Primary. My next project is a .25 powered Junior 60 on three channell.

I'm due to retire in two years, and am looking forward to have more time to build ( the job gets in the way) and fly, also getting out more on the bike. Although I like to build from kits and plans, I still like to play with ARTF's as I think they have a place in this day and age.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi

I could cry, all these oldies like me,but working on models and  flying them!  Have you all got the lottery up?  I havn't got two brass farthings to rub together.  I've come down to making naval ships to keep my hand in! I've also got the museum to keep me happy.  I'll put the ships on the forum sometime.

Ken

Hi, I am 60, i got devorced at 52 started model flying with a wildthing on the hills of east devon rathewr than jumping off the cliff myself, i got into the hobby late, but i have never looked back making gliders and glow models then came the first big one, a ASH 26 4.2 mm yes my first model i built and it still is flying high today, then came a big big repair on a friends Tug, ( The Ugly Bug Tug ) it is now flying with all the tugs at meeting, then i built a Maule 90inch, now i am building a LIGHTWEIGHT TITAN it is on the building blocks now and i love it, the building,repairing and Flying, but one thing i forgot, yes i got married again at 59 to a beautifull woman from Manila, so i think the name on the New Titan is going to be LOUISE,

Happy Flying  in a great hobby

Tight lines and Soft Landings to All

Chris.F

I'm 44 and could build but I'm not retired so I don't have the time.  Actually, even AFTFs take me ages, but them I'm always modifying them.  Multiplex Gemini modified and painted to look like a Polikarpov biplane, EasyStar for son with brushless and ailerons added, that sort of thing.  Twin babies due any day so I suspect not much chance to even build ARTFs this year ...