Cleaning a weather beaten engine.

denco 1

Anybody out there who can suggest the best way to clean up an engine that is looking very sorry for itself. Let me explain, about two months ago i lost a plane in a field of rapeseed, the tallest i have ever seen. Anyway i managed to retrieve the wreckage today, 24/8/12 and although the airframe is shot the radio gear appears okay, obviously i will test thoroughly, the problem is the engine is need of some hard cleaning, the rain has affected it, but it is sound otherwise. Suggestions please to restore it to it's former glory, i should add it is an SC52 with only running in time and a couple of flights. Cheers Den.

Advert

Dennis are you only going for outer looks or stripping down?

if you are going in the oven tell the wife you are cooking some frozen chips get oven hot put the engine in first then the chips when said time is up pull chips out and show her they are ruined throw chips grab engine go to shed with wifes toothbrush and water bowl. SARCASM aside, Brian Winch or Alex Whittiker write articles for the mag (engine men) and there maybe something in the past archives if not I will find an article from an old mag and scan a copy and link to this thread.

cheers bbc.

Dennis,

Fairy power spray every time as has already been suggested.

I'm not sure about Autosol unless you want a very shiny engine. Vim with a tooth brush used to work very well but I suppose it's not sold now as I've not seen it for years. Maybe an abrasive kitchen cleaner would have the same effect Just be sure to wash it off well and don't get any inside the motor.

Of course you could always buy the wife an ultrasonic cleaner for her jewellery collection and road test that on the motor.

Cheers,

Chris.

Ian

Dont use a slow cooker from the kitchen, I bought a cheep one from argos under £10

and it will clean all the burnt on oil off in a couple of hours. Found this out on one of the

forums from the other side of the pond that has stars n stripes in their flag............

If you coat it really thick with Fairy Power spray and put it in a small plastic bag with another few sprays inside for good measure, the leave it a day, it will remove all the corrosion as well as all the gunge.

Wash it under the tap, remove back plate and flush with oil to remove the water inside.

Darryl

Thanks all for suggestions re. cleaning my engine, pleased to report that although not looking like brand new, i am very pleased with the condition now, all stripped, cleaned oiled and reassembled ready to run again in another airframe. Many thanks for your help. Den.

• 3 months later...