3 axis stablisation units

Erfolg

I have wanted to fly some tricky models for some time, yet the difficulty has put me off. Such as Gee Bee R3.

I have thought about gyros as used on model helicopters, but for planes

Now Orange/Frsky have introduced this, has anyone tried one, or have an opinion

I've just bought one of these, which is probably the earlier incarnation of your listing. I don't have any twitchy models which need calming down but I'm planning to experiment with the Phoenix Rainbow as a stability aid for photography/video flights.

Another round tuit..........smile

Pete

After the wonderful frown summer we've had and if in general this global warming thingy is going mean more wind, I should imagine that an investment in one of these would increase the atrocious rate of flying time I am currently experiencing. Now then, say the purists amongst you 'is it not preferable to experience and learn to fly in these conditions' yes indeed. But not if all my models end up as match wood every time I try and cope with the 'Baltic Breeze'. There's only so much fun you can have in the workshop and there must be some sort of satisfactory outcome to all this cutting, shaping sanding and glueing. I shall purchase one, and I shall use it frequently, so 'ya boo sucks' to the purists as I wish to fly my models not destroy them.cheeky

Anyone who suggests that you should cope with a recalcitrant model, would probably argue that RAF pilots should learn to handle the Typhoon without the aid of computer stability.

I guess the same view could be taken of the wide scale use of electronic stability on both model and full size helicopters.

Yep totally agree. We have been embracing technology in everything we use, would we really go back to crash gearboxes, no power stearing ,anti lock brakes on our cars?

F1 cars have no end of modern technology, are we saying that we would rather go back to the Death Traps that used to be driven.

Personaly I can't wait to get my hands on one and try a smooth knife edge on my Sokhi

JC

I have four.

The HK one pictured as now cased has been sold elsewhere for some time now as an "Eagle A3", which is what I have.

There is an A3 "Pro" model which is Tx switchable and includes AVCS (alias Heading Hold). I have one of these, not yet plane fitted.

I have one A3 fitted to an indoor/outdoor foamie Delta (RC Groups FireFly), another to an indoor TechOne Piaget.

Both planes can now be flown in wind well beyond their previous capability. Gave the delta to a beginner not happy doing high circuits on buddy, by the second battery he was looping and rolling it at 15 foot up and loving it.

Remember the hidden cost/awkwardness of the Gyro to Rx leads, which are plug to plug, not the common extension type plug to socket.

What else do you want to know??

Posted by JayCee on 31/07/2012 13:21:27:

would we really go back to crash gearboxes, no power stearing ,anti lock brakes on our cars?

As a frequent driver of 6-10 ton vehicles like that, also with pedals swapped over from the norm now, gears round the "wrong" way, and only minimal brakes, while I love the challenge, I'm always very glad to be back in my own car.

Thse gyros are not autopilots, they just allow you to concentrate on your flying and ignore the effects of wind, unwanted control interaction, etc

would these hobbyking stabilisation devices help smooth out my dodgy landings? e.g. can i just wire up aileron stabilisation and then bring her in wings level and concentration on rudder, throttle and some elevator?

Carperfect, look at the pictures and the gyro terminals, for the A3 there are three in (from the Rx) and three out (to the servos).

The A3 is live all the time. The A3 Pro adds another connection which is the switching channel.

The HK one is the A3.

DG3, a gyro holds the command you gave, correcting attitude to that command till you give another. Yes, you can wire one or two and leave the other(s) wired directly from the Rx.

It is very helpful to know that male to male leads are required.

Can JR plugs be fitted to Futaba plug assemblies?

If not these are available for Futaba although a bit short. The alternative is soldering together two male extension leads, although to obtain a reasonable cable length a lot wastage is required.

I guess another approach is to buy some standard extension leads, cut in half and soder the two together. The female lead going into the spares drawer.

AFAIK all these gyros have pins for in and out, obviously the uncased ones have nothing to stop futaba plugs with the tab fitting being used.

If you don't want to buy HK leads Component-Shop make them up for you for a very reasonable proce for a UK source (I just bought ten!!).

These gyros go between the Rx and the servo, the servo output from a Rx is the same for any radio, even dear old 27MHz........

I've noticed a few references to the need for a male-male lead. Rather than making them up yourself, they are as cheap as chips from the UK warehouse. They are only $4 for ten in the International warehouse, so $4.62 is a bargain.......

HK have just got to sort out their UK postage rates which are currently verging on the ridiculous, IMHO....sad

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 31/07/2012 20:10:18

There are two issues as far as I am concerned.

The first being a Futaba user will JR plugs fit?

The second, is the one Pete makes. I recently purchased a 800 Lipo, if I remember correctly the Lipo was priced at approx £5 on the UK site, the P&P was £7. Seems very high. I purchased from the Chinese site at £7 including P&P. Are UK postal charges so high? I understand why the UK price has to be higher, there is the carriage and Vat to be paid.

These units are certainly interesting but they don't seem to cater for 2 aileron servos controlled via seperate channels......

They only have one aileron output so if using a single servo or Y lead you'll be fine, otherwise......sad

Might be worth checking the Rx battery quite frequently too. These gyros will make your servos operate much more frequently to correct the models path which will inevitably drain your battery a bit quicker.....dont know

Pete, thanks for the info.

Steve, I guess it is something we have to live with, in the short term. I would anticipate it is a matter of time before a 5 channel version becomes available.

Would it be possible, with some of the computer radios to assign say the rudder channel to the aileron?

I don't think we really need 5 channels Erfolg...just two aileron outputs....

After all an aeroplane only has 3 axis of movement...pitch (controled by the elevator), yaw (controlled by the rudder) & roll (controlled by ailerons).....I suppose you could add a fourth for throttle control to control the speed but Hey! as pilot I'd like to be left with something to do....teeth 2...you'd need to be able to measure airspeed too before this could work......

I can't see that assigning the rudder channel to the aileron will work either.....the "rudder" gyro will simply be set at the wrong orientation to control the roll axis.

Can the unit be switched in & out from the Tx I wonder? It would make comparisons much easier if you could switch it in & out during a flight....

All interesting stuff though.....a clubmate tried to set up three gyros to stabilse his model after succesfuly using just one to control pitch.....he soon took them off....said it was like flying through treacle with very sluggish responses. He felt like the model was fighting him all the time.....obviously this might be down to set up etc......thinking

Watching with interest.....I'm looking forward to seeing how peeps get on.....

Steve, I was thinking that an extra channel would be useful as on my transmitters, a twin aileron setup can be assigned to channel 6 for one and the other remaining on channel 2.

I understand on one of my transmitters (8fg) you can do clever things, be able to assign functions to all the channels as I understand the capability. Of course as far as I am concerned to clever by half, as I do not comprehend what can and cannot be done.

I will purchase one, just to try. With my capabilities, flying through treacle seems attractive, rather than chasing what the model has done.