3 axis stablisation units

Erfolg

Thats actually quite a good thought Bob.....as you say just using one aileron might work well......thumbs up

Erfolg, as I understand it (& I am by no means an expert) these units have 3 gyros at 90 degrees to each other so that the axis of one gyro runs along the fuseage, the axis of another runs parallel to the wingspan & the axis of the third is in line with the fin..... Each gyro will control in one axis & one axis only.......if a gyro is designed to counteract yaw it will not detect (& counteract) roll nor pitch thus connecting the Yaw gyro to the other aileron servo would probably produce some very new & as yet un-named manouevers.....however you care to "mix" it

I see what you are saying, I think. It will not be possible to use 2 channels on ailerons, as there is two sets of different signals to process and only one Giro on that axis. Two giros allocated to the same axis (one per servo) probably causing issues.

After very little deliberation I have put an order in.

Of course it is now on back order.

Amazingly the order is less than £15, with lots of additional items, such as control horns, colour co-ordinated and heat shrink.

I have been considering what model to try it on, when it finally arrives. The most wind affected model I have is this.

although the flight envelope will be degraded, it is affected by any wind, requiring a lot of stick stirring.

So may be a good for a trial, or should I consider something else?

Edited By Erfolg on 01/08/2012 21:02:03

There was a lot of discussion on Alasdair Sutherland's column in RCMW about using one stabilised aileron with generally positive results.

Did I see the latest Futaba leads do not have the tabs on them? Does that make them Fua leads?

Posted by Fun Flyer on 02/08/2012 13:14:11:

Ordered one immediately. They also have the Male to Male servo leads. So am I correct in thinking that if the engine stops, very unlikely I know, the model should safely fly itself onto, as opposed to into, the ground.

Then it will wipe its self down, dismantle and place itself the boot of the car without you having to lift a finger.

With the newer version you dont even have to go to the field it does it all for you and if programmed correctly will bring home the newspaper.smile

I got the bare board version but havent tried it out yet

I am interested in how purchasers of the unit intend testing its effectiveness?

I have been considering using it on a Semi-scale natter I have almost built. Rather than just using the unit on a model which may not fly well, or at all, then blaming the unit, I should establish what it can, and cannot do. But how?

Erflog,

Postal charges. They charge a total of £12 but they pretend the LiPo is £5 so you think you are gertting a bargain and are drawn to buying from them. At the point when you have virtually made up your mind you notice the posral charge, but by then you are mentally half committed so you go ahead. Probably in your local model shop you will get it for less.

Well I'm certainly no techie, and I haven't received mine yet.

But my idea was it install it with TX and Rx on with controls in neutral position, than move the plane left and right then up and down and see what info is fed to the servos.

Would that not work?

JC

I can thoroughly recommend the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D stabilisation system (Guardian).

Not as cheap as the HK versions, but is does work very well and easy to set up.

You can switch between 2D/3D and OFF modes and change servo gains in flight via transmitter controls.

I've currently got one installed in a Acro Wot foam E and it flies like it is on rails in the windiest of conditions, which is most days at my flying site!

Some may say it is cheating (e.g. hands-off prop-hanging) but I find it is an excellent training tool. You can practice manoeuvres in relative safety and progressively reduce servo gain as you get more proficient.

Cheers, Richard

Posted by Erfolg on 08/08/2012 12:05:55:

I am interested in how purchasers of the unit intend testing its effectiveness?

I have been considering using it on a Semi-scale natter I have almost built. Rather than just using the unit on a model which may not fly well, or at all, then blaming the unit, I should establish what it can, and cannot do. But how?

Bachem?

Bought one when first available have installed in an old Formosa to play around with. Still trying to sort settings but seems promising tried knife edge to see aileron effect not normally something I can do and it flew in knife edge for quite a way without aileron input so must be doing something!

Eric

I've flown one of these a few times now in an old Ripmax Alliance. 1.5lb foam pattern type model. First of all it passes all transmitter commands directly to the servos, these are unaffected.

If this makes sense: corrections seem to be vey fast and very short lived. So the effect I've noticed is that the unit damps out any sudden unwanted movement, typically the sudden slight changes in attitude you see when it's blustery. So I've been able to fly this model in winds where I wouldn't usually consider putting it up. It remained pretty much as if it was flying in calm conditions. Except for one exception. We suffer from quite a lot of turbulence at tree top height if the wind is a particular way. Going through this pretty hariry test, trying to fly straight and level, the model did jump up or down a good foot in height. The stabiliser did however keep it in the attitude I wanted. I'm sure without the stabiliser, it would have been all over the place.

What the unit doesn't do is make you s better flier, or sort out the model if yr in trouble.

I'm not really sure what it would do with a model that is inherrently poor or unstable. I would advise getting a model flying nicely in nice conditions without it, and then add the unit to expand the weather that the model will be ok in. Take everthing in steps.

Just received two of these in the post this morning from HK seven days after ordering!

However, no instructions just the unit! Most of it is obvious but there is no indication of how it should be mounted in relation to forward flight!

Can anyone help?

JC