. . . anti social nature of ic activity . . . ?

Advert

I have found myself going more and more electric without being really conscious of the transition.

I do love IC but find the lack of fuss with electric models appealing. I will not buy another 2 stroke as I have always struggled to get them set up and don't like the throttle response in the air. I won't be selling them though.

4 strokes are another matter. Easier to get set up right and of course I love the noise. I don't see myself ever giving up flying 4 stroke powered models.

But for sheer convenience, lack of dead sticks, throttle response and costs I have become an electrickery convert and rarely take my IC models up the patch. I never thought it would happen.

The comments by Mark with respect to the measurement of sound, does indicate the pressures from the community on IC models. As he indicates and many articles in mags have told us, that Environmental Health Officers, use instruments/devices, in accordance with the regulations from parts of various legislation with respect to noise. The problem is that what is measured is often not what people are hearing. People often object to peak noise, frequency. The instruments are often measuring an average (as per Mark), perhaps using "root mean square", perhaps in conjunction with peak values.

It is no use telling some one that the motorcycle that can be heard from half a mile away, is quieter than the motor car that has just passed and barely noted. What ever the instruments are indicating, is not the same as to what is being heard by a person.

All this indicates that legislation and instrumentation in this area is somewhat of a compromise. On that basis complaints will continue to be made, with respect to many every day activities.

However for many modellers it is not just the noise issue which has attracted them to electric models. It is the convenience, being able to run the model in the house without fumes, no wife demanding to know what the hell is that racket, flying in the local park, without comment, throwing the model into the back seat of the car, the low cost of small models. There is a lot going in the favour of electric powered models.

As an ex-mechanical engineer, nothing gives me more pleasure than drooling over a 12 cyl, 4 cam, etc engine in a car, or marvelling at a Ducati Monster, or Quacker, or many engineered clocks, Steam Trains, Pendelenos etc. Yet you could not give many of these things to own or even operate, for a variety of reasons, though I admire them.

Surprisingly for me, until recently I had not appreciated that model Diesel engines were the product of the 40's/50,s and that glo developed in the USA in the same period. The Glo becoming dominant in the 70's in the UK with digital RC. After I stopped modelling along came 4 strokes and more latterly Petrol 4 strokes, in the same vain as the earliest model motors pre WW2. Times and technology do change. At present it seems that electric models have a major presence and seem to be pushing into ever more sectors of model aircraft, in many respects no different to other eras.

My primary club operates an 80dBa noise limit, IC or electric. Most of us have migrated to 4 strokes for larger models while most small models are electric these days. We do have one member who turns up with some spectacular larger electrics but they don't seem to be totally 100% first time every time reliable and certainly were not a small investment. Do they tempt me to go all electric? Put it this way, I've just bought a 120 Surpass and have 4 IC builds in the pipeline.

As for bikes, to me a fruity exhaust is sweet music whether it's a big twins' bass rumble or the scream of a big in line 4 but for neighbours trying to get the kids to sleep it's a nightmare.

Where did I read that removing the battery packs from a Prius reduced the weight to the point where the economy actually increased? Urban myth or what?

I have not been flying planes for that long and before that,it was helis. My own opinion is that i really enjoy the sound of ic,whether it be helis or planes. I have recently sold of my electric bits and bobs in favour of ic.I go with the opinion that electric is a bit souless. Yes i can see all the pros of electric but it just doesnt do it for me.Give me a four stroke anyday.smiley

Just come back from a fantastic days flying at Beaulieu , the only wherrrr of an electric motor was the sound of the Sullivan starters cranking up some lovely IC power plants smiley

Now could someone explain all this ease of use stuff? We arrive at the site, unload the car, bolt on a wind, fit LiPo/fill tank, fly and land, repeat the last for as many flights as you want . Ok so time for home and the guy on electic does not need to spray and wipe his airframe down and dribble some after run oil in so he leaves the site five minutes before the IC guy . But on returning home the electric flyer can't leave his LiPo's in a state of limbo and must have a charging session to save the life of his batterie investment ? Whilst I head or to the pub for a late lunch with the family, telling them of my epic adventures and the the near miss with the last remaining Flying Lacaster bomber (true story it happend today)

I fly both and really don't go with this ease of use thing? crook

I fly electric and gliders only. This is due to the fact I live in a rented house, and I'm not allowed fuel in the house under the terms of the lease (silly I know).

The future of the hobby? who knows, nuclear? I think all forms of propulsion will live on in one form or another.

Posted by Justin K on 01/09/2012 19:09:41:

But on returning home the electric flyer can't leave his LiPo's in a state of limbo and must have a charging session to save the life of his batterie investment ?

Fortunately it isn't quite like that, Justin. We leccy fliers are smart enough to fly the packs down to the storage voltage - and we don't have to scrub our hands before we get to that pint of foaming ale........smile pwink 2

Pete

emotionthumbs upGreat Peter well done I will get you a beer, fancy a quick session tomorrow morning we have a two hour time slot before it rains again!

No ? O sorry I didnt realise all your cells were in storage charge ? O well never mind better weather will be with us in two weeks broken heart

Threads on this topic have a tendency to become silly.

Within RC aeromodelling very few or any modeller are against IC. Is the public, that is another matter, yet the answer is generally very few are aginst IC models, what many are against is noise.

The trend towards electric is to some extent noise related, the other is that many modellers find more advantages than disadvantages with electric models.

At this time, the trend is towards a wider application of electric power.

For those totally wedded to IC, that is fine, it is not us modellers who are a threat to you.

Can I remind everyone of the topic of this thread - it is basically "is electric one day going to replace ic due to social pressures".

It is not a debate of the relative values of the two and its most definitely not why "my choice of power source is better than yours"! If it continues to degenerate into that we will lock it off!

You have been warned kulou

BEB

Hello BEB. I totally agree with your post re "who's power source is better etc etc" . The title of the thread though is "

. . . anti social nature of ic activity . . . ?

. Why is IC power anti social ? The only anti social part about it are the flyers who dont silence their models , fly contiuously , one after another for hours on end and annoy their neibours etc . Even electric models can be and very often are noisy and therefore anti-social. Fixed wing or helicopters can be very noisy in electric or IC versions and club committees should get themselves sorted and adress the issue. Whit increasing pressure from property developers and government, local and national to build new houses in our countyside we as model flyers should be should be united in sorting the problem and not slagging one another about Who's got the most politically correct power source. BMFA slogan is "united we achieve" or would these infighting factions rather have " Divided we will dissappear" as a slogan .

BEB is right. It is 'off topic', but that often happens and it is not discourteous. Though I am gather that others have become so. I use both, as I have said.

My opinion? Probably, but not in my lifetime. And I don't think I will worry about it too much afterwards.

It is notable that OS is hedging its bets.

PS: The original title, I am sure inintentionally, could raise pro and con views. I notice that BEB paraphrased the title into something less of a leading question smiley

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 02/09/2012 10:31:45