. . . anti social nature of ic activity . . . ?

Advert

Well said CSB, we've had loads of pointless I/C V Electric threads in the past and this one seems to be going the same way.

I'm quite encouraged to see that more and more modellers have a mixture of both these days and take out whichever suits their fancy. Often both for the same flying session. I think we're starting to see the end of two different camps.

Though I've tried them both, I just cannot raise any enthusiasm for electric or foam. For me it will always be glow and petrol and balsa and ply. They are the essence of aeromodelling in my opinion, and nothing else compares. Younger people will probably see it differently, but only time will tell.

I use both..

'They' can make as much noise as they want. So can you, provided your noise-making equipment is the same as theirs.

My next door neighbour is a petrol-powered garden (and other) machinery fanatic, he has every noisy machine you can think of and some you probably can't.

I started an OS 91 four stroke once. Quieter than any machine he's got. He complained. I didn't say anything.

Now, every time him and his wife try to have a quiet snooze outside I find that the lawn needs mowing with my ancient petrol mower. My model engines need far more 'checking' than they used to.

All the time. A model engine is quieter than a car . Stand by a fast road on a calm day and you will agree, just one car will convince you. Sound level meters agree. Little of it is engine noise, but it is there. But 'we' all make that noise so it is OK.

Our flying site is a mile and a half from the nearest habitation. Several complaints, all from a 'famous' television 'celebrity' who lives two miles away. The people in the nearer houses all say they have never heard anything at all. Nor can the district council. There is a fairly busy road bertween us and the houses.

its is a fact that a mower is about 90db, yet if you fired up a model engine, you would get complaints, because its a differant noise from the norm, so its irksome, if everyone ran model engines, and a mower started up, the mower would get objected too,

but then, this is not what this threads about, i was listening to a stryker delta fly week ago, the noise from the brushless was damned annoying, with the onset of better batteries, motor power will increase, and if they whine more than they do now, then we are all doomed, for the noise carrys further than petrol motors!!!

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 31/08/2012 22:22:17:

its is a fact that a mower is about 90db, yet if you fired up a model engine, you would get complaints, because its a differant noise from the norm, so its irksome, if everyone ran model engines, and a mower started up, the mower would get objected too,

but then, this is not what this threads about, i was listening to a stryker delta fly week ago, the noise from the brushless was damned annoying, with the onset of better batteries, motor power will increase, and if they whine more than they do now, then we are all doomed, for the noise carrys further than petrol motors!!!

My thoughts exactly thumbs up.

I was flying a nice little four stroke the other week and I couldn't hear it for someone elses Stryker screaming around. The noise argument will not stand the test of time and in that respect one will be as sociable as the other. (Think positive thoughts smile)

As for anti-social (electric or IC), er, no. There wouldn't be any model flying clubs if that was the case.

Posted by Erfolg on 31/08/2012 20:57:24:

CSB how old are you?

15 Erfolg.

Posted by Chris Bott

I'm quite encouraged to see that more and more modellers have a mixture of both these days and take out whichever suits their fancy. Often both for the same flying session. I think we're starting to see the end of two different camps.

I hope so, I've had enough with the constant IC vs Electric debate, we should be happy that we are in such a great and diverse hobby and just get on and enjoy our flying, whether there be an engine, a motor or nothing up front for you glider guys!

Flying both (or all 3 including gliders) means that you can make the most of the hobby, even if it is just one or two electric hacks for the IC guys or one or two IC planes for the leccy guys

CS

Posted by Justin K on 31/08/2012 18:38:50:

I find the whole electric thing OK for getting a flight in but in my opinion its rather soulless, OK some/many would argue with that statement but that's my feeling.

You won't hear any argument with that viewpoint from me! I was rather lambasted by some of the more committed electicalists a couple of years ago for expressing a similar sentiment and while I freely admit that electric power is clean, convenient, practical and (usually) quiet, I would find it difficult to invest much time and effort into an EP model*.

I'll happily buy, assemble and fly EP models but I always feel they're for a quick flying fix and I will always look to take IC models to the club on a good day.

It's a personal thing - I don't think we should judge each other on our power choices and just enjoy all our models. I won't be giving up IC in the foreseeable future and I don't expect those who prefer electric to conform to my preference.

* I did build an EP Mossie a few years ago - on its maiden one motor shaft sheared, after repairs (don't ask, I'm still kicking myself for the burst of power that spun it when I was otherwise handling the single engine approach quite happily) I ran the motors up to test them, and the "good" one shed its magnets, locked and twisted itself out of its mounting putting the prop through the fuselage and ripping the new LiPo open...not quite the reliability I was expecting!

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/08/2012 23:23:25

Mmm . . . strikes me we all liked the ic engines . . . however, like it or not, the changes are coming, comercial and social presure is obvious.

So make the best of it, you cant fight the 'King Canute factor' . . . the tide is coming in! sad

As some one has already mentioned, photography has gon digital, records have go through vinyle, CD, and now some form of fangled digital streaming, cars went from rear wheel drive to front wheel D, coal power went to oil etc., we are going to loos books and news papers soon??? . . . comercial preasure is the underlying factor? . . . "We have a better way of doing it"? . . . better way, who for?

The other side of the camp is pulling as hard in the other direction, we are comfortable with what we have . . . sarcastic

CJS

Well,I must put in my two penn'orth here I feel .Thanks to flytilbroke (crasher) some of you will know that I've nearly completed my Easy Glider Pro on his recommendation really to get me back into flying mode after my bloomin' stroke. Now then ,what better way than to get a glider up and away with a folding prop for gliding could there be & stop & start the motor at will in case I lose lift? Don't forget ,I'm one of those reluctant converts and havn't even flown it yet ,but my flying area is surrounded by trees (Dalby forest) and 'cos I havn't flown anything for health reasons for sometime I reckon that once I'm "up & away" I'll get my confidence back to negotiate my ic models around the terrain here.

Martin's view is similar to mine. I use both for whatever circumstances suit the plane. Just changed my mind on my new Junior 60. Bought the electric BB kit version, but a day later I bought an OS 30 four stroke for it.

Alan mentioned that mowers are the 'norm' Can't argue with that. We accept some noises rather than others. I prefer Bach to Pink Floyd. Lots of these fast pusher electrics make a noise that I don't like. So what?

That is precisely why the 'authorities', for all purposes, not just models, measure the entire human hearing range with a sound meter. The area under the curve, not any particular frequency spikes, is whar is measured. That way it is 'fair' and our personal likes and dislikes, or any 'norms' (what others do) don't come into it. Lots of people don't like the sound of small motorbikes. But they are quieter than most cars, much of which is wind and tyre noise. The 'area under the curve' of these small bikes is less than that of a car. So they are, in fact, quieter. Exactly as our IC planes.

But I don't want us all to turn into smug Toyota Prius owners.

I see less ic engine ranges on the smaller hobby store shelves we are down to Os and Saito and maybe the 23cc and up petrol jobbies but we have one store with Magnum, Thunder Tiger, Sc, Super tigre, Enya, Os, Saito, Moki, Evolution, Gms, Force, Cox, Ys, Dla and Zenoah.

from 020 glow to 62cc petrol so i hope no one wants them I might get a bargain.

I have 80% glow my largest is 54 thunder tiger I dont think I will go any bigger my electric are all 3s 1300-2200mah park size models.( i cant see the cub im building having electric, someone will stomp on it.) and so they should.

bbc.

By the way Justin, surly a bit of chat is a good thing, watch other progress . . . thats a bit like going to a bar and drinking continusly, or chain smoking, 'its for the sake of it rather than the pleasure?'

. . . moving with the times . . . CJS

Edited By Clifford Stone on 31/08/2012 19:29:28

I was commenting on the batterie statement Clifford

Its a bit like adding to a discussion forum and not respecting others views and ideas? Whilst chain smoking or whatever orher odd sinarios you can come up with.

Bars, smoking, 'judging each other', move with the times? 'The times' are often inflicted on us by a small minority who think they know what is best for everyone else.

We had been trout fishing. Went to a pub which served food. We talked about our fishing. A coiuple sat at a nearby table said it was cruel. They were eating haddock!

On another thread about a cheap radio. It's illegal!!!, they  cry. Wonder how many of them exceeded the speed limit on their way to the field?

Don't judge. It's a hobby.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 01/09/2012 09:16:59

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 01/09/2012 09:22:09

Posted by Justin K on 01/09/2012 08:30:56:

By the way Justin, surly a bit of chat is a good thing, watch other progress . . . thats a bit like going to a bar and drinking continusly, or chain smoking, 'its for the sake of it rather than the pleasure?'

. . . moving with the times . . . CJS

Edited By Clifford Stone on 31/08/2012 19:29:28

I was commenting on the batterie statement Clifford

Its a bit like adding to a discussion forum and not respecting others views and ideas? Whilst chain smoking or whatever orher odd sinarios you can come up with.

Sorry Justin, thats my view . . . 'a bit of chat and watching the world', is a good thing IMHO . . . you are entitled to have a diferant view of cours. However I think you are missing out not watching whats going on around you . . . again, a personal view, on which I am enttitled to coment nerd . . .

CJS