Patriot, Ratatat and Swamp Rat

Gary Vinten 1

• 3 months later...
Advert

Posted by kc on 20/02/2013 17:36:49:

That looks very nice Peter.......at 3 pound 6 ounces it must be just right for conversion to electric........

I look forward to seeing the plan published somewhere.

Hi KC

If you look in the first part of the post you will see i have already made it electric and a fine machine it is to yes

Peter

Looks like you're using your tried and tested bell crank aileron system .If I'm correct in thinking ,it's the first time you havn't inclined the engine at 45 degrees or so for obvious reasons . ie team racer type front

Could you tell us the %age wing section please -Looks like about 15 or 16 % at a guess from the photos .I personally just love the "semi-symetrical "section where the top surface is just slightly more curved than the bottom.This design is made for flying n'est ce pas (sorry Pete B ) No silly cockpit semi scale etc and even easier to construct .

Wing setction is NACA 2412. 12%. Yes engines is vertical because it makes a neater cowling for the shape of the fuselage.

If you see my new design coming next month, I have started placing the engine on its side with a channel in the bottom right corner of the fuselage for the silencer.

THis makes life a little easier with regard to tank location etc. and actually looks a lot better.

I like the bellcrank system as explained elsewhere. Another reason when using strip ailerons is that if the horn is at the root one can get the aileron twisting so that it is less effectcive out at the tip.

Edited By Peter Miller on 21/02/2013 08:39:06

Gary, my comment about electrifying Peters model was a little joke because I knew it was originanlly electric and that Peter prefers IC....... However there was a serious point because at 3 lb 6 oz it appealed to me. A 350 watt motor and a 3S lipo would perhaps make a reasonably aerobatic model ideal as a 'hack' to keep in the car. But your 5 pound model needing 6S and 1000watt would not appeal to me but it might to others.

There seem to be very few, if any, plans for models like yours ( Gary's version ) so I strongly urge you to consider drawing up a plan and trying to get it published. I reckon many would like an easy to build 'missile' type aerobatic model of about 49 inches specially designed for electric. Perhaps David Ashby will read this and comment.......

I wonder how many others read Swamp Rat and thought of dragsters......Don Garlitts wasnt it?

My vote is for built up wings. Not many people cut their own foam wings now and they cost a lot from commercial sources --high postage too. Laser cut ribs for the built up version would be more popular.

There are numerous plans for IC models of every size and type, but not too many aerobatic plans specially designed for brushless motors with Lipos

Are we talking about an electric version of the Swamp Rat ( 46 inch / 437sq inch) or a plan for Gary's model ( with the Patriot logo ) which is 49 inch span 542 sq inches?

I have to say I favour an electric Swamp Rat but I reckon there will be many who will want the Patriot and use a 6S lipo etc.

Will the Oodallaly be an RCME plan or better still a pull out RCME plan?