Ardmore Airfield Mosquito launch open day

wayne drinkwater

Yesterday we drove down to Ardmore Airfield to see the launch of a newly completed DH Mosquito.

The result of millions of dollars and several years work by Avspecs warbird shop based at Ardmore Airfield Auckland NZ.

The beast was so new it had less than 3 flying hours it took its first flight on Wednesday and the show was on saturday 29th Sept 2012img_6213.jpg

Advert

Hving been at Barton, and witnessed the tragic demise of the last flying Mossie, its great to see one back in the air again, she is to be crated up, and shipped to a flying museum n Virginia, in the states, i just hope they apreciate this british designed classic, but thats not all, Kermit Weeks ex stathallan one is flyable, but hasnt since the ferry flight--Hmm, too many toys and not enough time me thinks Kermit, then there is another new build, i think, again, in New Zealand, can you imagine a pass with 3 of these superb wooden wonders????smile p

Garbo, thanks very very much, i was going to give a humerous reply, but the last time i saw this aircraft in an angled low bank, was back in the 90s, on a very sad day, i now have a tear in my eye, did you notice, in airshows, despite whats in the air, there will always be folk that dont even look up, look at the crowd, everyone is stopped, gazing up, shes back, and long may she fly!!!

Garbo, I wouldn't advise moving, by the time you get here the Mosquito will be somewhere else. Mind you as Wayne says they are working on another. There is also the Vintage Aviator folks down in Masterton and Omaka, working on all sorts of lovely WWI types.

I do wonder how much of what we see in the videos actually was pulled out of that Russian swamp?

John

you know what i found amazing at these Kiwi airshows that the general public were allowed to walk around the mossie and paw all over it ! even had people with their heads inside the wheel bays, the American owner was saying that If the pilot Keith Skilling flew a display that close to the crowd and that low in the States he would have his licence taken from him as soon as he landed!!!

Gotta love the Kiwi attitude