Parachute jump from space

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 14/10/2012 21:54:35:

Did it remind anyone else of sitting up to watch the moon landings?

A control room, a distant craft, a countdown, checklists, drama and suspense and man doing something never done before.

I was born 27 years after the first moon landing, so I've no idea! By some coincidence it is my birthday tomorrow! (In about an hour and 20 minutes!)

But it certainly was very tense, and incredibly exciting and satisfying afterwards! Brilliant!

CS

I was intrigued by the way it stopped climbing at what was supposed to be the top of the climb and after a minute or two shot up again at high speed for several thousand feet more - did they give any explanation later? Was it the result of the sun heating the helium perhaps or did (could?) they put a little more gas into the envelope?

I think that is because within our lower atmosphere every 100 metres up it gets 0.6 degrees centigrade colder, but then go above a certain altitude where the air pressure is lower and you go out of the atmosphere, there is less reflection of the Sun's rays so it gets warmer, but I may be wrong.

Although not officially confirmed yet, mission control (I love saying that!) say that he reached Mach 1.24. That is FAST!

CS

Watched the whole thing - Brilliant smiley

Of note Joe Kittinger holds onto at least one of his records from his famous 102,800 ft skydive in 1960. That of longest free-fall at 4min and 36 sec's. Felix was a little shorter at 4min 16sec's.

Upate on top speed reached by Felix. 833 mph / Mach 1.0944.

• 3 weeks later...