Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Has anyone any good suggestions how to fix the "skewers" (don't know the correct term) that sit in the crossover between the flying wires and landing wires, to stop vibration?

I used rubber bands on my old 1/5th Svenson Stampe, but would prefer something better on my upcoming Precedent. I have perused scores of photographs of full-size but can't work out how they are fixed.

Steve.

Advert

The skewers are anti-vibration rods which I assume are used to stop the wing bracing wires vibrating and rubbing against each other. Here's how I did it on my 27.5% scale Bucker Jungmeister. It's a near-scale version of what I saw on a full size Jungmeister.

03 anti-vibe.jpg

The stainless steel flat wires are what Flair sold for their 1/4 scale Tiger Moth. The clamps are cut from the same wire and drilled for the minute screws sold by Mick Reeves, who also sells flat wire. The rod is birch dowel.

Gordon

Just got the 180 in mine as a replacement for the 155 which is now in my new Spit. Not too bad a job after sawing off the front part of the engine bulkhead so that it could be replaced with a wider piece; even the cowl fits without the baffles fouling. Will try to strip the bubbled paint from the u/c fairings and generally tidy it up whilst it is disassembled.

It is based on the full size Steve, but maybe a bit clunky. Also it just struck me that my Jungmeister's wing came off as left and right pairs along with the bracing attached. The anti-vibe rods simply stayed in place. I believe that the Stampe wings are one-piece, making this system inconvenient to assemble.

On my 1/5th scale leccy Tiger Moth I used a setup copied from Dennis Bryant's .60-size Tiger Moth. Dennis' model had one-piece wings and this plug-together version might work better for you. Hope it shows on the pic as it's a screen grab of my CAD drawing.1/5th scale Tiggie anti-vibe rods.jpg

The wings on my TM come off in left and right pairs, so that on my model the rods stay locked on their wires when I remove the wings for transport.

Gordon

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 28/07/2019 16:45:44:

Just got the 180 in mine as a replacement for the 155 which is now in my new Spit. Not too bad a job after sawing off the front part of the engine bulkhead so that it could be replaced with a wider piece; even the cowl fits without the baffles fouling. Will try to strip the bubbled paint from the u/c fairings and generally tidy it up whilst it is disassembled.

What... more power....perish the thought.

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks poring over the plans and manual from my new SLEC (updated Precedent) 1/4 scale Stampe kit, I think that I understand it, and have identified various areas that will need modification for the Laser 180 that is itching to get into it...

I do feel, however, having seen scraps of the original plan and manual in screenshots on various forums, that the newer re-drawn SLEC plans and short manual are not as helpful as the originals.

Does anyone have an old Precedent kit manual, and possibly remains of a worked-on plan, that they no longer need and might agree to sell / copy / loan to me?

Many thanks
Steve.

I have a set of worked on plans Steve but they are in reasonable condition. I will see if i can find them.

I recommend a few mods straight out of the gate. Make an undercarriage that bolts on the bottom and is not built into the model like the kit version. Should you ever bend it then its going to be much easier to repair if you can take it off without having to cut the fuselage in half.

change the strut mounts for the top wing to allow the bottom spar to actually connect to the centre section. As designed the bottom spar ends outboard of the cabane struts so basically the whole top wing is only supported by a single spar. The wings on my model flex like crazy and i am forever worried about pulling them off.

While not that vital on my next one i intend to make the cabane struts removable as It will be much easier to cover the model without them in the way.

The final thing would be that i suggest you do some sculpting of the firewall to allow better cooling. Its a flat plate as the plans and i think it could be shaped better for improved airflow.

Thanks Bert and Jon!

Sadly I have (yet again!) family comitments over the bank holiday, so no nats for me once again.

I am happy to pay for post and packing for the manual and for the plans, please PM me if that is acceptable.

Points carefully noted Jon - any more are extremely welcome at this preparation stage smiley.

Posted by cymaz on 09/08/2019 13:34:53:

And, finally, the CG is incorrect on the plansurprise

I balanced mine at the marks on the plans and its spot on :\

Bert, its the cabanes that are the issue as the top spar ends just outboard of them so the cabanes do not take any of the lifting loads. Its all transmitted to the lower wing through the interplane struts. I will probably extend the spar on the next one and use some sort of steel plate for strut attachment.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 09/08/2019 13:56:36:
Posted by cymaz on 09/08/2019 13:34:53:

And, finally, the CG is incorrect on the plansurprise

I balanced mine at the marks on the plans and its spot on :\

Bert, its the cabanes that are the issue as the top spar ends just outboard of them so the cabanes do not take any of the lifting loads. Its all transmitted to the lower wing through the interplane struts. I will probably extend the spar on the next one and use some sort of steel plate for strut attachment.

I balanced mine and it was wayyyy tail heavy. It’s in the blog somewhere.

I really dont understand why there's no lift support, the cabaine is fastened to the fuz,the ply plate is bollted to the cabaines, the top and bottom spars arew glued to the ply plate, perhaps with a shear web inbetween

is it because the diheaderal has to be fitted at some point

Mine would balance better if I had a Laser 180 Petrol,,

just wiping the rain from the naughty step,,

but Jon has just rebuilt my glow 180 and it does run sweet

Edited By bert baker on 09/08/2019 14:14:39

Edited By bert baker on 09/08/2019 14:18:27

The main reason that I should have thought more about the u/c and maybe cabane strut position before building is that with a fs motor there is nowhere for the original tank.

Whilst people are digging out their plans I would greatly appreciate it if someone would measure the incidence between, say, the tail and the top wing. I have heard that some versions of the plan show the wrong tail incidence, and guess which one I built. My elevator has to droop by some 20deg. but does not seem to affect the flying. Nothing I can do about it now but it would just be nice to know since with each side built from 1/4sq. spruce over the plan it would be difficult to get it wrong. Looked for my plan but it must have been chucked in the loft.

I expected a large cg shift with the heavier motor but it is only about 1 1/2" forward of the top wing centre TE and since the model still spins as before I shall leave it alone.