December 2012 issue feedback

David Ashby - Moderator

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 15/11/2012 13:11:41:

Hi Andy.

Are you suggesting that the authors get it right, and then the proof-readers change it so that it's wrong.

I think you should go and give them a good talking to.

To the best of my knowledge some words go through a number of proof reads and amendments before the mag goes to print.

Whittaker and I used to dare each other to include words or paragraphs as a bit of fun to see how they came out at the other end.

My favourite was 'matutinal defenestration of aeronautical origami'....... but thats another story.

Andy

Advert

Posted by Danny Fenton on 15/11/2012 12:56:59:

I will be the first to stick my hand up to using "right" instead of "write" in my column this month. I am surprised nobody has mentioned it?

We pedants wouldn't dare now, Danny........the howls from the 'close enough to understand' brigade are too much to bear teeth 2

Mind you, it has been noted - and next time it'll be a detention and a hundred lines.......panel lines, of course wink 2

i do find it amazing that some people are very quick to pick up on something relatively small like incorrect terminology and yet fail to spot the glaringly obvious that there are gliders out there just as good quality as the mystique but at a far cheaper price, in my opinion that is a far bigger issue than someone using slightly incorrect terminology, at least your wallet would think so

Two items in the magazine raised questions for me.

In Tim Hooper's article on the Nieuport, I feel that I have to take issue with his statement about the "quaint US Imperial system as opposed to our common sense Matric system".

The Meric system is not "ours" - it was impoosed on us from Europe in the early 1970s and is definitely not "common sense". The Imperilal system was originally based on measurments related to the human body and is far more versatile and "common sense" than the Metric system.

Having said that I am not averse to using the Metric system and was taught to use both at primary school in the 1940s. I feel sorry for people who, like my youngest son, were only taught Matric units.

The other item was in the article on cells and batteries where someone got the numbers wrong. A sixtieth of an hour is one minute therefore 20/60ths is twenty minutes not three minutes as stated. I think the writer must have meant 1/20th of an hour.

Gripes over,

Malcolm

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 15/11/2012 21:17:01:

Two items in the magazine raised questions for me.

In Tim Hooper's article on the Nieuport, I feel that I have to take issue with his statement about the "quaint US Imperial system as opposed to our common sense Matric system".

The Meric system is not "ours" - it was impoosed on us from Europe in the early 1970s and is definitely not "common sense". The Imperilal system was originally based on measurments related to the human body and is far more versatile and "common sense" than the Metric system.

Having said that I am not averse to using the Metric system and was taught to use both at primary school in the 1940s. I feel sorry for people who, like my youngest son, were only taught Matric units.

The other item was in the article on cells and batteries where someone got the numbers wrong. A sixtieth of an hour is one minute therefore 20/60ths is twenty minutes not three minutes as stated. I think the writer must have meant 1/20th of an hour.

Gripes over,

Malcolm

Malcolm I do find it amusing and a little ironic when people make a point about the mag and leave plenty of mistakes in the complaint.
Thanks for:-

Matric system
Meric system
impoosed
Imperilal
measurments
and
Matric (again)

Quite tickled me those have

I'll let you into a little secret Malcolm. In my submitted article, I followed the quoted sentence with "There's an irony there somewhere".

It seems that the editor thought the irony was self-evident and that the supplementary sentence wasn't required. Seems he was wrong, eh? wink 2

tim

after some moans on your nieuport build tim, i had a proper read of it, not sure what people are complaining about, i thought it was pretty good and just had about right the amount of build info, mybe it is because i have met tim a few times and so i take everything he says with a pinch of salt and a slab of irony

re the mystique Martyn, i was not refering to the ava, i was refering to the multitude of great 2.5 meter gliders out there, from the likes of pichler and reichard that will preform as well if not better for substantially less cost the the eflight offering... it seems e-flights marketing is blinding people again !!

WEll only haveing a quick look though the mag, I was pleasently supprised with the overall presentatiom, even a bit of Electronics,

Well done team,

just as a passing thought, we have had metric system here since .... dunno .. forgotten , multipling by 10 is so much simpler

oh I remember ..1969

Barry

(Australia)

Ooops....guilty as charged M'lud embarrassed

Having now bought a copy of the Dec issue and looked at the Cells and batteries article I agree with Malcolm, relating to the discharge time comment the answer was right but the figuring was somewhat confusing. Difficult to see how this answer was arrived at, it looks like a bit of an educated guess. Malcolm was of course correct, it should have been 1/20 of an hour. I’ve occasionally noticed this sort of thing before, and sometimes it means the answer is incorrect, too.

There is a little formula, time taken to discharge = capacity of cell/rate of discharge. Or t = C/ RoD. Changing the values to amps rather than milliamps the capacity is 2Ah. The max rate of discharge is 20 times capacity so 2 by 20 = 40A. So then t = 2/40, which equals 0.05 hour. Multiplying by 60 converts it to minutes, thus 0.05 by 60 = 3 minutes. Transposing the formula will always give one value in terms of the other two, if we wanted to know the capacity, say, then C = RoD by t, which equals 40 by 0.05h = 2Ah.

Hope this may be of some use.

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 16/11/2012 12:58:58

1. I have seen Tim's Nieuport flying - it's an absolute sweetie. Typically immaculate Hooper build. Even I forgot it was 'leccy.

2. Tim was deliberately pulling our collective leg. We imposed the Imperial System on our Colonies, including America. It was our Imperium, after all. The dynamic, modern, thrusting Americans put a man on the moon first using the Imperial System. The Metric Russians came second, in common with most other feeble French ideas.

3. Anyone from my UK generation (ie older than comprehensivisation) can use either system with equal facility. We used to use Metric (SI and cgs) Units in the Physics lab, and then happily unsed Imperial Measurements in the Metalwork room. Mind you, nowadays I much prefer Metric Units for model drawings and plans, though when it comes to piston fits, I prefer "thous".

All in all, a good debate for Tim, I feel. David will soon be paying good money for Forum Traffic Generation on this industrial scale.

Really? Myself, I only have 10 counting widgets between my hands. teeth 2

I was reading the article about engine cooling fro the WOO and something he said (on page 73) had me scratching my head. He said that "many full-size aircraft have liquid cooled engines", but for the life of me I can't think of any GA aircraft that have them? Everything that springs to mind have either flat four or six air-cooled donks. Apart from that it was a very informative article.

Posted by Doug Ireland on 18/11/2012 16:18:47:

I was reading the article about engine cooling fro the WOO and something he said (on page 73) had me scratching my head. He said that "many full-size aircraft have liquid cooled engines", but for the life of me I can't think of any GA aircraft that have them? Everything that springs to mind have either flat four or six air-cooled donks. Apart from that it was a very informative article.

The Diamond Twinstar leaps to my mind but a clubmate is involved in building a Mk26B Supermarine Spitfire which uses a Subaru based conversion and is liquid cooled. As a "homebuild" perhaps it doesn't count as mainstream GA though?

Actually, with my smartass hat on, technically all engines are air cooled but some use liquid to carry the heat to the radiators which then lose it to the airflow.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/11/2012 00:00:58

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 15/11/2012 10:48:41:

Looks like I'm going to be the first pedant to moan this month about people quoting units of torque wrong. Seems to happen every month.

This time it's David Ashby, on page 60. He talks about the Spektrum min servo having a torque of '3.5 kg/cm'. Should have been 'kg.cm' David.

I'm sorry to be pedantic, but this happens every month, and people highlight it on this forum every month. People who write technical artices professionaly really should know better.

Otherwise excellent mag, thank you.

Hi, i have asked for years why cannot the prop size be included on a review? always without fail it is included if you are electric but glow ? no chance.

Not much to ask, please can we have the prop used for the review included in the model specs at the end ?

It IS important, it gives us all a ball park figure to start from.

Regards

Chris C.