Vettel or Alonso for the championship?

kc

Vettel or Alonso?

Who do you think will win the F1 World Championship on Sunday? Vettel or Alonso?

Personally I dont mind who wins as long as it’s a good, fair race. I certainly hope that Massa is not required by Ferrari to relinquish a home race win or even a podium place to help Alonso. Last weeks disgusting tactics forcing Massa back on the grid to help Alonso really stink. Of course same goes for Webber helping Vettel - it would be sickening. But there is so much money at stake that sportsmanship may take a backseat.

My prediction - Alonso for the championship, Button or Hamilton to win the race and maybe a podium position for Schumacher in his last race. Remember it’s probably going to be a wet race! The most cunning drivers and tactics will come to the fore in the wet. Some drivers will just settle for points while others will do anything for glory in their last race for the team

But motor racing is so unpredictable that anything can happen!

Advert

Hamilton or Button for the win, particularly if the promised rain materialises.

I really do hope Alonso wins the Championship - he deserves it if only because he has been able to out-perform a very indifferent car all season. Though it pains me to say it, he is possibly the best driver on the track (yes, I know several others are pretty good, toosmile) in recent years, although the hassle with Lewis didn't go down well.

If he wins the title, it will inevitably be soured by Ferrari's use of the team tactics - which are now legal, of course........wink 2

Pete

It's got to be Alonso (not that I'm a Ferrari fan) just on the basis that RBR are (in my opinion) serial cheats. I think the only reason they didn't get serious points deducted early on in the season (which could have made all the difference now) is that they were doing so badly no-one thought they were in contention.

Their front wing is still stupidly flexible. I'm not normally one for the conspiracy theories but if they're passing the newer toughened FIA front wing test yet showing crazy deflection in the race (did anyone see a couple of races back when Weber went over the red speed bump?) then there's something fishy going on. My own pet theory (though it is a bit paranoid) is that their KERS and alternator failures are somehow connected and that they're using electricty to reverse power "load sensors" in the nose to heat the nose cone which (due to the thermoplastic effect) is become more flexible. For the FIA test they just don't switch on the "flexi" button. A thermal imaging camera of the RBR going past would soon make that obvious though.

So far this year they have had

1) stupidly flexible front wings

2) illegal engine maps

3) holes in the floor plan

Each time they get caught they "thank the FIA for the clarification" and smile sweetly and no-one does anything. The excuse that the hole in the floor plan was (in their opinion) "an enclosed notch" rather than a hole is so pathetic it really does make the whole thing a joke.

So even though when Alonso sits on his big red seat in the garage he looks like a right dilbert his race-craft has to be recognised and at least when Ferrari do something dodgey (like with Massa's gearbox this weekend) they admit they're maximising the rules rather than feigning innocence.

Vettel will be out to prove something after being beaten by Hambone last time out, so I reckon it will be 50-50 whether or not his nerve holds or he ends up in a gravel trap. Alonso will be fiercely determined and a wet track could help even the odds for him.

I'd like to see Alonso get the title, if only to keep Vettel keen for next year.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/11/2012 18:58:13

Posted by Pete B on 23/11/2012 18:31:13:

Hamilton or Button for the win, particularly if the promised rain materialises.

I really do hope Alonso wins the Championship - he deserves it if only because he has been able to out-perform a very indifferent car all season. Though it pains me to say it, he is possibly the best driver on the track (yes, I know several others are pretty good, toosmile) in recent years, although the hassle with Lewis didn't go down well.

If he wins the title, it will inevitably be soured by Ferrari's use of the team tactics - which are now legal, of course........wink 2

Pete

I'm with Pete on this one! The Austin Texas result was brilliant - well done Hamilton - really upset Vettel's apple cart!

Terry

Wow some great and some interesting comments here. Good to see what and how people think.

Pete B if I hadn't had read all this thread first I would have probably almost word for word what you wrote.

Ben B, wow man although I strongly agree with a few of the things you wrote you have to agree that some of the others are quite far fetched, even to me a top believer in various conspiracies find the comments a bit on the imaginative side, but each to his own. If the FIA tested the front wing whilst off the car wouldn't it be easier to just make the bit it attaches to a little more flexible? After all, with all the air flowing over the wing and cooling it, it would have to be heated to some mighty heat to flex, and then who is to say it wouldn't just melt and deform with all the load. I love your thinking out of the box way, its people like you that stumble on great ideas, keep it up.

Does anyone else do the Fantasy formula 1 and if so how well are you doing or have you done in the past?

Dear kc ,In recent years a lot bothers me a rule of use a tires,KERS...also the lack of numbers on the cars..maybe I can not see well....or, do I have to study on MIT..sad .''The last boy scout'' Mr. Button... will win at Interlagos thumbs up.Vettel takes the Championship 2012......and Alonso can cry and still complain ...as usual smile p

Yes I know ....NO JUSTICE.....

T.U.M.- I agree re the conspiracy theory being a bit out there smile just can't imagine the FIA to be silly enough to allow flexible mounting points as they would make the load tests useless. Then again no-one spotted the mahusive hole in the RBR floor for a number of races!

J.V.- Button won't win unless it rains- he's slow in qualifying and spends his entire race blaming his slow driving on "no grip". He actually appears to be quite a nice bloke compared to some of the primadonnas of the F1 circuit (including my favourite driver to watch LH)- although he should just fess up when he's driving badly rather than blaming the car.

If it rains JBs smooth style of driving and touch work well but on a dry track at full-on attack speed there are many better drivers out there. Personally (just for old time's sake) I'd like to see a full on wet race and MS win on his last race. He is Dick Darstedly but he's an old rogue and we love him for it!

My prediction - Alonso will win the title after Vettel's car suffers a mecanical problem towards the end of the race. OK, so on Sunday evening we can all point fingers and laugh at my expense when I'm proved totally wrong! teeth 2

I think Alonso has changed in the last year or two and no longer chucks his toys out of the pram when the slightest thing goes wrong. He's been consistent throughout the season and acheived good results with a car that has been at times bad, at other times OK, but rarely the fastest car on the circuit. I'll admit I find Vettel a bit too much of a smug git when he wins, although that's not a reason for him not to win the championship... I do wonder though about Red Bull, and where there pace really comes from. Are they just good/lucky at exploiting the regulations to the max, or do they manage to go a bit beyond what is permitted to gain the edge? Maybe we'll never know.

Schumacher? I really can't see him doing much in his final race. The car isn't, at the moment, up to it, and his dubious tactics from the past can't help him as the stewards are much quicker to jump on the sort of thing he got away with in the main part of his career.

Whatever, I hope it's an entertaining race. The worst result would be a first corner "incident" taking out Alonso and Vettel - even more so if any blame could be attributed to Vettel or Webber. I don't think that's likely now though. Senna may have got away with it in 1990 but I can't see a similar incident on Sunday going unpunished.

Plenty of interesting comments so far.

.But remember Singapore 2008? Watch out for something that's not really 'cricket' ...........

Interesting to see whether its Germany winning 2 Grand Prix drivers championships this year and Spain 2 or Spain 3 Germany 1 ( I mean including Moto GP, Moto2 &3 and F1 )

Edited By kc on 24/11/2012 01:14:53

Having seen the mathematical possibilities I think I have to revise my prediction! I now reckon Vettel will be the champ. However Alonso is still a most cunning and daring driver.......

Reason is Vettel only has to cruise around to 4th even if Alonso wins the race, or if Alonso gets second then Vettel can trundle round into 7th and still be champ. Maths favour Vettel.......but anything can happen in motor racing and especially in the wet. Vettel also has Webber and maybe even Hamilton and the Torro Rossos who might scarifice their 4th place to help Vettel ( or hinder Alonso in Hamiltons case) But lets hope for a really sporting end to the best season ever.

Now to watch qualifying and see if it's a wet session....

Posted by kc on 24/11/2012 14:19:41:

But lets hope for a really sporting end to the best season ever.

I certainly can't argue witrh that! But I also can't see Vettel cruising around for a 4th place - I don't think he understands the concept! He'll be all out for a win regardless of any additional risk that may entail and whether or not he actually needs to win. I also wonder who Hamilton would favour these days if he could tip the balance one way or the other. I get the impression he'd be happier for Alonso to win than Vettel -their days as rival team-mates are a long way back in the past now. Anyway, just over an hour and a quarter until qualifying starts!

Posted by Hellcat on 23/11/2012 18:43:52:

F1 - yawn!

AH, A MPX TX user.......

Quali - Hamilton for Pole, Alonso second, Vettel third.

Race - Vettel to be reined in to shadow and cover Alonso so insufficient points for him to win, position other than that unimportant, so Hamilton to win if no issues.

An English win seems distinctly possible! Lets forget the championship and just hope an English team with English drivers and equal number one drivers wins the race. I think even the engine may be made in England too despite the badge.