In Trim?

Tim Mackey

Advert

DG - Home page, top right

Gary... I honestly dont know 'cos I aint that expert honest...but would differential affect "trim" as such? I always thought it was to correct adverse yaw and main wing lift caused by different drag effects on an up aileron compared to a down. This would surely apply only during a manoeuvre as such, rather than something one would do to get a model "neutral trimmed for straight and level flight " as it were ?

Over to Mr E I guess

• 1 month later...

Thanks Andy, an interesting an informative article.

Sorry to nit-pick - ref. Fig 2 and accompanying text. The servo torque remains constant (3kg/cm), it is the force (kg) that reduces as the as servo arm is lengthened. eg 3kg @ 1cm, 1.5kg @ 2cm etc

• 2 months later...

Very good information from da main man, though I don't think I'm gonna saw my wimgs in half!

Interestingly my FF9 instructions have a lot of this in'em. I like the bit about constant bunts, my models would re kit themselfs if I tried that - the last new aerobat I bought was in 1994! Don't you just hate being brasic! The only thing I got that'l knife edge is my shockie!

Anyway thanks Andy, keep on keepin on! Flanker 

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't I read somewhere recently that adverse yaw is not caused by the drag of the downgoing aileron, but by the lift at the back of the wing twisting the wing to give negative incidence thus driving the wing down instead of up? Early full-size aircraft had to have the wing braced with wire to prevent this?

Just asking!! Steve 

Great article.

Eric. I don't know if the 747 has this type of ailerons...but...it is a valid method of moving control surfaces. Usually used on slower aircraft, I belive, as control flutter could be an issue at higher speeds. Can work on any control surface, except flaps I suppose.

These days I'm not sure that the stick in the cockpit does anything other than tell the computer what you would like to happen. Not like the good old VC10, you can trace the cables and rods all the way from the stick to the control.

Would you not adjust the aileron diff to produce a neat axial roll...don't know if you could call this trimming tho'. Dynamic trimming?

Matt

• 5 years later...