James May's Toy Stories: Flight Club

Advert

I thought, I had hinted that the programme was entertainment and would not encourage many towards modelling. Then again perhaps I should have been more blunt, or maybe not.

My wives comment on seeing a snatch of the programme on I-player over my shoulder, "oh no, another sado"! Then who is she to talk, a golfer!

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 24/12/2012 19:10:19:

Just watched it on I player too.

I have to say it left me rather cold.

For what the programme must have cost too make (how many helicopter hours at £xxx per hour plus £xxxx/hour for the film crew) I felt the result was rather tame.

I'm curious - what would you have done then...?

Now there's a question!

James Mays programme on Scalextic and Hornby used the resources of the BBC to do something with the original toy but on a grand scale.

He certainly used grand resources on this programme ok but on a fairly 'normal' glider. Really the only unusual bit was using a free flying auto pilot rather than RC or even FPV for control,

Most have at some time chucked a plane off a hill. To me it would have been more impressive if he used the resources of the BBC to chuck the Skylark of a proper hill (a mountain?) to see how far it would go. He might had to have waited a bit for the right weather though!

Finally, I do appreciate what he was trying to demonstrate but all the versions of his simple chuck gliders could have been made to fly a great deal better than they did!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 24/12/2012 22:41:30

I've seen it twice, my 10 year boy was desperate to watch the following morning. He enjoyed it alot.

You can't take a mass audience programme like this too seriously but if you look beyond James's "tounge in cheek" style there was a huge level of effort and acheivement.

To get so many people involved across the spektrum (college students, full size aviators and the BBC cheque book) was a fantastic acheivement.

I loved the launch system original design, and the teams enthusiasm to push on with the whole thing.

Great TV, highlight of the festive viewing, look forward to his next challenge in the world of RC.....

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 25/12/2012 14:02:48

Just watched it from the recorder, in my opinion an excellent piece of entertaining TV, thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel I've got much better value for my licence fee producing this program compared with many other offerings ...

I like most of the 'Toy Story' programs that James May has turned his hand to.

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 26/12/2012 11:11:29:

I'm surprised nobody else (apparently) was as curious as me to know what the Russian aircraft in the hangar was. If anyone is interested, my research leads me to believe it was a Yak C-11.

I thought it was a yak-50 or 52 but I did not see much of it

Watched it last night - great! Brings out the youngster in you doesn't. Well done James May!

Pete B and me can confirm his comments re french bureaucracy - it really is like that. Just to give you one example; In the UK if you want to alter your property you either need or don't need planning/building control permissions. In France if you do anything to your property that doesn't need permissions you have to get a certificate that says you don't need a certificate giving permission. Point proved!

Terry

Just watched the show and was suprised to me James shopping in my lms Slough Models. I was even more suprised when he got served by the staff, as a rule you tend to get ignored.

Thought the shows was very good, my daughter laughed at all the dry jokes.

Mike

Please stop knocking Slough Models, lest they develope a complex and shut up shop. I like to visit there - easy parking - no hassel. Customers are not so much ignored as left to browse. The huge array of exhibits suspended from the ceiling greets the eye with as much awe as the Hanging Gardens of Babylon would have. There's a nice stock of balsa too, which you can touch!

Away from the topic a bit but wheres Garbo who started this topic, i messaged Garbo over a week ago and no reply, i hope all is ok. When frequent posters on here go quiet i get worried, I do agree with Slough models though, even James didnt get great service! They imsulted me twice over the phone on a sale that would have made them over £500 as they said they couldnt understand my accent! I may be Scottish but every other shop manages to understand what i say, they laughed , giggled and then handed me over to someone else! i hung up and went to Als Hobby store who gave me discount after he heard or my troubles, still my favorite page to browse is Slough models because of how bright and welcoming there page is

Posted by scott finnie on 28/12/2012 02:05:17:

Away from the topic a bit but wheres Garbo who started this topic, i messaged Garbo over a week ago and no reply, i hope all is ok.

Same here Scott - no Posts (Not like Him/Her) and no reply to a PM.

And don't mind KingKade, he's probably not a Celt and struggles to understand English. wink 2