January 2013 Issue feedback

Concorde Speedbird

Steve.

Whilst I appreciate your points, your particular interest is just one aspect of the varied hobby I pointed out in the article.

However my article is designed for the beginner, and what is the best sort of plane to learn to fly on. I still firmly believe that electric is the better option here, and you have offered nothing to counter that. I found learning to fly a slow and quite difficult task, partly my own failings, partly the many factors conspiring against you such as instructor availability, weather, having a flyable model available, personal circumstances, etc. Surely anything that helps novice pilots succeed easier has to be good for the hobby?

Once you have that "A" certificate tucked in your top pocket, then you can channel your hobby in whatever direction you like.

Edited By Martin Phillips on 17/12/2012 14:19:35

Advert

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply. As you point out your article was aimed at the beginner. I, too, experienced many a frustrating day on the flying field during my 'years' of instruction. Anything that encourages newcomers to participate in our hobby, and to remain interested, is to be encouraged and applauded. The article, I believe, did just that and I congratulate you for doing so. My only point was not to completely discourage newcomers from the joys of IC and it was certainly not my intention to offer a better direction for the beginner.

I look forward to the next installment.....we are never to old, or young, to learn!

Kindest regards,

Winco Steve

I am not trying to discourage IC modellers, from messing with the joy of their lives.

I do support the general contention that electric flight is the most convenient way into flying. You just buy a ARTF and transmitter package (is that BNF?)and you are away. More equipment is required with IC. Also these electrics are cheap. Surprisingly, they all seem to fly well. Not like my Ely and Waterhouse superfly. On the plus side, it was much tougher than any (except EPP) of the foam models, or splinters from packing case ARTF models.

The subject of noise has caused me to think about noise and how models relate to it. At one time a model IC engine sounded like a Honda 50, a high pitched whine. Strangely Honda 50's no longer seem to whine, you barely hear them. I live a few miles from a major international airport. Where as in the dim distant past, there was a horrendous scream, come whine from jet aircraft, as they flew over, today they waft over, barely audible. Dare I say it, yes I can, about the same level of sound as a noisy electric at worst. Even propeller aircraft are quite quiet, I guess as they are all turboprops. When the police helicopter comes over, you do not hear a whine from the jet engine, just the noise of the rotor assembly. Probably the noisiest aircraft I hear are the light aircraft going to a local small aerodrome. Generally commercial aircraft are very much quieter than in previous eras. None sound like a model IC motor, if anything, there is much more in common with an electric.wink

Whilst I am not a total electric convert by any means, the advantages to electric are pretty obvious. What I do find however is that the skills to be learnt in setting up that glow engine and operating safely with good flight line discipline can be to easily overlooked as we simply plug in a battery and walk over to the flight line. All that dirt, grime and frustration of getting the darn thing to start and run correctly was a major part of instructing, operating safely and learning to fly. I found it interesting that when I posted my latest design drawing asking for thoughts and feedback the majority were for ic. The thought of someone moving from electric to ic without any further support or instruction is a little scarry.

Linds

Gentlemen - this is begining the inevitable, and completely pointless slide, into IC vs Electric. As has been said it is a sterile argument you cannot win. But even more importantly its also off topic. The topic is feedback on the mag - not the relative merits of different power sources. So, back on topic please. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted without further notification.

BEB

BEB, you and Erfolg are absolutely right, however this short interaction has actually been useful feedback to me, and Winco Steve has clarified his thoughts well, and, hopefully will enable me to keep the future articles balanced. Thanks Winco for your comments.

If I may comment on Lidsay's very valid post, when I took my "A" test, I was asked questions on both IC and electric, and looking at the test requirements this should clearly be expected. The "A" test is something I will be covering in due course, and this is a handy reminder to ensure I do mention familiarity with both "disciplines" before taking the test.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/12/2012 16:07:20:

Gentlemen - this is begining the inevitable, and completely pointless slide, into IC vs Electric. As has been said it is a sterile argument you cannot win. But even more importantly its also off topic. The topic is feedback on the mag - not the relative merits of different power sources. So, back on topic please. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted without further notification.

BEB

I was getting worried there another thread I started would go horribly wrong...!

At the end of the day, I thought it was a good article. I think it can be easier to start off with electric when on your own, but if you have an experienced friend or family member then either will do.

CS

(But I swear our Saito 45s sounded like a Merlin at some points!laugh)

I did say 'so far', Tim! I try not to read the whole mag in the first few days.

Sorry to hear you're sad, Andy, but the weather and short days do have an effect. Cheer up, it's almost Christmas and, after today, the days get longer. I usually fly with one eye on the Tx and the other on RCM&E, so I don't miss a minute of fun!  

Edited By Hellcat on 20/12/2012 08:57:43

Posted by hellcat on 20/12/2012 08:44:02:

I did say 'so far', Tim! I try not to read the whole mag in the first few days.

Sorry to hear you're sad, Andy, but the weather and short days do have an effect. Cheer up, it's almost Christmas and, after today, the days get longer. I usually fly with one eye on the Tx and the other on RCM&E, so I don't miss a minute of fun!

Edited By Hellcat on 20/12/2012 08:57:43

LOL!!!...Hellcat....I love your posts!...Just wiped the coffee off the screen.

Andrew

Mine arrived this morning and have resisted the temptation to open it. This I will do on the Emirates 777-300ER flight from Dubai to Durban on Friday morning as I am going home for Christmas and the New Year, can't wait.

My very best wishes to all at RCM&E and the forumites for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May Santa bring you what you wish for.

Safe landings

Roger

Posted by G-YRUS on 15/12/2012 10:58:46:

Am I the only one irritated with advertising by recommendation of suppliers in columns. If a nifty item is worth recommending, fine. But there seem to be an increasing number of supplier recommendations which really are not needed. Advertising space I can skip over if I am not interested but reading a column to find it punctuated by more is just a waste of model related centimetres.

Oh and well I am at it. Silly sixth form, common room speak from the 70/80s does nothing for me and I can not see it attracting youngsters at all the very opposite I would think.

I never really thought about this, but sometimes it does get a bit intrusive. If recommendations have to be made, surely they can be put in a sidebar or box at the end of the review: This would have the benefit of making the article flow more freely in reading terms and gather all relevant info together in a handy, bite sized chunk.

Can someone point out to me the 6th form humour? I did VIth form 94-95, so may have missed out!

I found, so far, as not fully read yet, that there is a fairly good mix of content. As to terms used, and more especially spelling mistakes in supposedly ENGLISH English that the mag sort of reflects the errors which are becoming increasingly common in the "Press" . thier/there color/colour,,,,,,,

So, the word puerile, which is out of fashion, is appropriate perhaps.

As I was taut educated n the States I don't have a problem with color wink 2 so you may find it in my column. Well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.....

One of the "other" mags managed to have a spelling mistake boldly printed on the cover....... As long as it isn't full of mistakes they do not bother me one jot, its the content that interests me wink 2

Cheers

Danny