Litho Plate Score

Chris Perkins 1

Hi,

One of the projects at work is a printing service and recently I have heard of Litho Plate as I've been looking into making a nice cockpit for the 1/6th scale mustang I have on the way. So I thought I would chance my arm and ask my supplier if they know of anyone that use it. The email back was "How many sheets and what size" surprise I didn't think it would be that easy.

Does anyone have any tips on using this? I'll be getting some instruments from Aerocockpit and they don't do anything else for 1/6 scale so will have to make the rest myself. I'm thinking balsa then cover it in the Litho plate?

Thanks,

Chris

Advert

Can you buy just a small quantity? If so let everyone know the source.

David Boddington covered using lithoplate in his book Scale Aircraft for RC, also Brian Peckham, Ross Woodcock did an articles years ago, probably others too. Main thing I remember from these articles is they cut it with a knife not a saw and formed it by stroking with a wooden implement or a spoon. I believe they cut circles with a pair of dividers.

Olly I'll post some pictures while I'm doing it, so you can see how I get on with it (Or not get on cheeky). Yeah no worries Olly.

kc Thanks for that. Not sure how its going to work yet regarding how much they will send, they said it comes in big sheets so would be hard to transport. I think you can get A4 sheets on ebay they work out at about 90p per sheet plus postage. But if its possible I might be able to cut it up and send some to you.

Litho plate is brilliant stuff for making all kinds of scale details.

Generally speaking you can make hatches/panels etc by cutting the required shape from litho and simply gluing it to the balsa sheeting before glassing/covering. These could easily be made from card/plastic if litho is scarce.

More involved shapes like air scoops and fairings need a little more work. Firstly the litho needs annealing to make it more pliable. Rub the surface of the litho with soap, then warm it on a cooker ring/blow torch until the soap turns black. This means it has got hot enough and has softened. There are 2 methods I use- one is to make a pine mould and beat the litho to shape over it with a small hammer, the other is to hammer from the inside onto a softish base (a piece of wood works well). It takes a little practice- and a few go in the bin, but I found I got good results pretty quickly.

Small quantities are available on ebay, although I ended up buying a load of the stuff.

The Suka I built was done with litho bits- the blog is on here.

Olly- are you still in accrington? If so I am in Rossendale and can easily let you have a few sheets.

As others have said litho is fabulous stuff, I prefer to "tease" it into shape rather than using hammers, a spoon or the rounded end of a piece of dowel are my favorite tools. Bear in mind also that Litho comes in many different thicknesses.

If it seems to work harden you can anneal the metal again, but be careful as you can see here, I melted it

For doing the cockpit of a Mustang then the lith will be great for flat sections, and even the panel, (though I prefer styrene for that)

To cut lith, don't use scissors or a knife if you can avoid doing so, gently score it and fold back and forward along the score, it will give the cleanest break. You can even do this for curved cuts believe it or not.

Hope this helps?

For the levers and pipe work etc you will have to be imginative, and use anything that comes to hand, but styrene rod of various sizes will work for many things such as tubing, cable runs and pipes. Hex styrene is great for nuts and bolt heads. For making things like gunsights and sculpted shapes then I use Chemiwood.

I am hoping to do a cockpit detailing article in the future

Cheers

Danny

I did say a small hammer!!!

Danny has it pretty much spot on- although I find a pair of scissors a very useful tool as well. I have used styrene rods, but it can be expnsive if you need tiny amounts of lots of different sizes. To be honest most scratch built detailing is made from the kinds of scrap that is just laying around waiting for inspiration! I have never used chemiwood- although I have heard good things about it- I tend to just use randon off cuts of anything. Once paint goes on it is almost impossible to work out what was underneath.

Litho plate commonly comes in 0.15, 0.20 and 0.30mm thicknesses. A company I used to work for used about 1/2 tonne a month and was disposed of in a clean condition (no printing ink) as it was used only to test the imaging equipment. Sizes vary from about 150x200mm up to 1160x960mm, although a few presses use even larger sizes. It's a fairly pure grade of alumimium, and it's quite hard in its normal state; easily annealed though, as mentioned previously. Incidentally, several sellers on ebay supply what looks like photopolymer coated plates (typically blue or green coating); if you want to remove the coating, a solution of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide will remove it (taking all neccessary safety precautions of course).

Hi BEB sure, you rub soap all over one side, you don't have to be accurate or cover completely, heat the other side while watching the soap. Waft the flame around, keeping it moving all over the metal. I hold the lith in a pair of forceps to avoid burning the fongers wink 2 when the soap turns black you are done. The guy doing a demo at Gaydon dipped the lith in water to cool it but I prefer to let it cool gradually.

Cheers

Danny