UKCAA - Models, engines and schedules

Steve Dunning

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just registered here so thought I'd say hi!

Got a classic pattern project on the go with a fellow club member, a pair of 'Upset II' from a plan I have laying around, well Ive actually had it for around 21yrs..............

A little history about myself. Been flying models for around 26 years, first inspired back in the late seventies by my uncle 'Peter Greet' who flew aerobatics back then with all the usual UK crowd and was UK Team Manager too at some point. I learnt to fly on a 68" DB Rookie, swiftly followed by one of my uncles own designs the 'Handyman'. I then progressed on to one of his other designs the 'Mexico' which was a low wing 4 channel aerobat, this is the model that taught me my aerobatic basics.

Flew my first Nationals in 97' I think, quite eventful as I remember, having practised an expired 'Standard' schedule for the whole year leading up to the event, hadn't realised it had changed until litteraly 5 minutes before my first flight, happy days!

Flown many models over the years but more recently and curently the 'Nuance' range of airframes from Bondaero in the UK, these are electric powered airframes manufactured in China by BJ Craft, stunning models.

As intimated in my opening paragrap, just in the first stages of putting a couple of Upset II's together, these will be electric powered and hopefully incorporate electric trike retracts too, not purist I know but I'm not building them to be purist, I'm building them to have some fun!

Hopefully see some of you around in the non too distant future at a meet or two......

Andy.

Hi there Andy. Coincidence, '97 was my very last Nat's! If indeed '97 was your first, I actually (along with 7 other 'adventurers' flew the new 'UK', radical, but interesting & innovative programme, appreciated by judges & spectators, but not the 'powers that be' unfortunately. I was flying my LD III with OS 140.

If you look on the photo thread here you will see my pic's of 'Upset II'. Again, coincidentally, I also have modified certain areas to suit both the Original fitment Merco 61 & my preferences, but keeping Chris Olsen's 'look'.

There are in fact two Upset II designs; one in '67 for the USA & our uk '68 plan. Obviously the latter is the better flyer as it has been developed further.

I'll be interested to see how your EP version works as I also have been considering building the next classic using that power. Which motor are you fitting?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Terry it's good to hear from you!

Just been looking at your Upset II, wow, that is a fantastic looking model you've turned out there, voted!!!!

I remember the Nat's well, running 3 flightlines and having to rotate as a competitor so that we all got to fly in front of all of the judging panels, interesting concept to fit the massive interest in those day's. I met the likes of Tom Anyon and Bill Harrop during that Nat's for the first time, true gentlemen. My first time scores were, hmmmm, few and far between would be my best description, not alot has changed on that 'score' to dateface 20. On reflection now, it may have been '98 that was my first Nat's, it was while ago now face 10

The Upset II plan I have is the 62" from APS, plan 'M', well thats what it says on the top of the plan anyway, it also states it's for the Merco .61 so I'm thinking it may well be the same plan? By comparison it looks identical to your latest model although you seem to have finished yours with the famous LD Canopy (got a couple of spares kicking around by any chance?) which I think gives it a really cool look.

We will be fitting the Turnigy G46/550 on 5s 5000's and using the Turnigy Dluxe ESC's. I'm using the Turnigy G110 mototr and Dluxe Opto ESC in a 120 size Nuance at the moment on 8s and it's a superb combo, fantastic value for money at less than £100 for F3a power..........

I'll keep you updated on the build which reminds me, must send a certain someone a message to get the build under way!

Regards,

Andy.

Edited By Andy Prime on 16/07/2013 07:10:15

Edited By Andy Prime on 16/07/2013 07:10:31

Edited By Andy Prime on 16/07/2013 07:11:31

The plan I have is RCM&E I recall Andy (I've loaned it out so cannot check). Upset II from the RCM&E plan is, I think, nicer than the US version. Yes, LD II canopy. I did look around for the original, which I believe was distributed by Micro Mold, but could not find. I have loads of LD III left, but will need to get Punctilio of Hinkley producing more LD II if required. There seems very few canopies around these days, probably due to the huge choice of ARF models now!

I don't know the turnigy range of motors, but there are so many from which to choose now. I see there's a Kwik Fli on the cover of the bmfa news this month, EP, using 720w 600kv motor with 6s lipo. Similar power requirement needed for Upset I guess?

As for foam wings...Martin is correct, it is very satisfying to make them, but then so it is from balsa. There was a time when I relied exclusively on them. But some amount of tooling up is required & there is an art to it, as with most things.

• 3 weeks later...

Easy. Fly into wind just past centre then do half inside loop. Half roll immediately then fly for one sec. Half outside loop then half roll out.

The difficult part is knowing when to start the first half loop depending on wind strength so that the maneouvre is centred and doing the first half roll with very little airspeed. The exit roll rate should match the first one so may need to be slowed down.

Martin Mc.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is some camera footage of the 1972 Glenview RC Pattern Nationals. 

You'll see: 

Doc Brooks 
Don Lowe 
Jim Kirkland 
Phil Kraft.... 
etc.

Enjoy

Sam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NYhU7kq8E&feature=youtu.be

Edited By Sam Wragg on 26/08/2014 17:26:07

Posted by Andy Green on 07/07/2014 08:14:23:

Had a bit of luck at the weekend. Picked up an as new unstarted kit of the Dave Smith Models Saphir. I'll record the build when I start, will form part of my winter build program.

Andy

Lucky devilkulou. Had an Aerostar.....great model

Couldn't resist when i saw this un-touched 1977 pattern kit at Bmfa Nats swap meet.

2014-08-25 skynight-6.jpg

2014-08-25 skynight--6.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated..... Watch out for the build thread

Sam

Ps Also purchased a new fiberglass Capricorn fuzz for a meagre £5 

Edited By Sam Wragg on 26/08/2014 17:39:21

Edited By Sam Wragg on 26/08/2014 17:42:44