Tail wheel or tail skid

Dai Fledermaus

I agree with Daithi - generally a skid is the simplier (and cheaper) option. Its also probably easier to repair - although tailwheels/skids don't tend to come in for a lot of damage in my experience.

The downside is it becomes a little more difficult to steer the model. With a skid you usually have to sort of "blow the tail round" with prop wash over the rudder - so a fair bit of throttle blipping is called for!

BEB

No problem for take off and landing - but if you would like to turn around on the strip it is difficult. with the steerable wheel you can hold down the tail with the elevator during taxiing. If you do that with a skid it will not turn. So if you want to blow around the tail as mentioned by BEB you have to leave the elevator straight which can end with the model on its nose. (don't ask why I know this...)

VA

Many vintage models featured a fixed tail skid or even a sort of under fin to hold the tailplane off the ground, the Tomboy for example, but these were invariably originally free flight and were hand launched or pointed directly into wind for a rise off ground take-off so steering was not a factor.

It there is any wind then models can weathercock to point into the wind, which may not be what you want when you are trying to taxi out for take off. Some full sized aircraft have castoring tailwheels or skids - and trying to taxi them downwing can be very difficult. This is why you often see people holding onto the wing tips of taxi-ing aircraft of a certain age.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 09/01/2013 16:09:52

Many aircraft with castering tailwheels have wheel brakes which are used differentially to assist with turning/steering. Additionally, a lot of heavier tailwheel aircraft have lockable tailwheels to stop them swinging on take-off.

Guess who built his Chipmunk to scale (as per the plans) with a castering tailwheel - after a couple of years struggling in any amount of wind I eventually did a field mod to lock it which has remained so ever since!