Who's Brave Enough??

Had a little dable myself this morning. It was only -3 at the field this morning. Had a couple of goes wirh the WOT 4 and then a few more flights with my Delta. The new Jen 37 is feeling better each time I fly it and is running nicely on its tuned pipe. Didn't take any pics but I had clear blue skies, no wind and a nice frosty grass surface to fly from.

It was a bit greyer than I'd hoped for yesterday but the hard core from our regular Thursday gathering met and flew as usual. Conditions were not bad at all - wind straight down the runway and very light.

The field had a light covering of snow but my little leccy Extra coped OK after an initial noseover and my new Seagull YAK54 with nice big wheels (and spats) didn't notice the snow at all (other than a very short ground run on landing) although the 180 FS at the noisy end meant it wasn't embarrassed for lack of power...

Looking at the forecast I suspect I'll be looking out the skis and/or floats that I use on the old faithful Limbo Dancer tonight.

The skis were home made to a design i found online with scraps lying around the garage, I used old drawer bases as the ski itself bent with a little steam then covered in epxoy to keep shape.

I'll work out how to post pics and add these later.

I've added the pics to my album, not great quality but if anyones intrested i'll find the link to the original.

Edited By Richard Parnham on 18/01/2013 12:44:50

RP - Brians idea works extremely well.

I have used it for a number of seasons so long as you use a 4mm screw on the axle to get the grip and no need for a keel which hinders ground handling. Next version the width will be increased to 3 1/2" as 3" just works in 8" of fluffy virgin snow. Fine in wet or compacted snow.

Heres how I made them link

Ace

Joined MikeS at our club had a nice few flights with my old Boomer trainer which I really enjoyed, good to go back to basics sometimes and it was great to fly it in calm conditions! Then got my trex 500 out which I had fitted a lump of foam between the skids and slotted a #16 key fob cam into to reduce vibration on the video, but then saw the cam drop off over some long grass, spent the next 45 mins looking for it but no joy, went home and borrowed a metal detector from my dad and went back but it got dark too quick and now the snows come, might go back and try again this morning as it's not snowing at the moment - hope I can detect it !

JK - Thanks we are small and friendly bunch.

RP - Last time I tried Bruce Stenulsons ski link it was unobtainable sad which is a pity as it had lots of good stuff on it. His plane site is still up and running but no sign of the skis.

Although I used brass and soldered the torque rod in, one member used an aluminium block and a second grub screw to hold the torque rod which also worked.

Should be 6 - 8 of us up all on skis tomorrow so should be a great day.smiley

dscf0028 a.jpg

Saved carrying it up earlier today.

David

Edited By Ace on 19/01/2013 21:02:02