Whats your favourite part of our superb hobby?

Advert

I am as beginner and for me it is not the building but the flying and to a lesser extent also the tinkering with (I.C.)engines.

However I also appreciate and drool over a beautifully constructed machine.

With regard to some balsa bashers looking down on "just flyers" and ARTFs I would like to say:

If I like to fly a real Cessna or other single engined plane, must I build it too, just to enjoy flying ?

Definitely building for me too, although I'm not a completely sad loner - I do enjoy flying them once built and the banter at the club. BUT - I only seem to enjoy new builds. Maintenance I can usually knuckle down to, but repairs or rebuilds after incidents I have no interest in. I either salvage usable stuff and scrap the rest, or sell on to someone with the interest to rebuild.

David

I`m still new enough to flying that I still get a big buzz out of just flying. I still get a little nervy before the first take off of the day. I get great satisfaction when I get the model exactly where I want it to be. And ending a flight with a good landing is very pleasing.

The banter has been mentioned by others, and its no different at my club. I never laugh so much as when I`m out flying. laugh We have an area chief examiner in our club and he visits a lot of clubs and he reckons the banter he comes across is like no other sport or hobby. We seem to be a very happy bunch. cool

Wow I love the variety of this hobby.

Concorde speedbird...... Yes your right I love model engines I get a great buzz when they start for the first time and then as they run in and I fine tune them its a good feeling. I suppose thats why I prefer nitro to electric, the fiddling and satisfaction of getting the setup just right.

Hogster...... I still get nervous before flights but the more I fly a certain plane the less the nerves. Then i get a new plane and back come the nerves. One of my goals in the 2013 thread was to fly more and thus reduce nerves, so I'm just finishing my Hurricane and finishing a revamp on my BF109.

Captain slog....... if your ever unloading a bag of warbird bits then let me know

Del Wheatley..... Ha ha ha ha ha ha.....love it, engine in the kitchen, I'm not even going to tell my missus what you do in case I get in trouble for associating with you ha ha ha. keep it up UMM

Tony Bennett.... Thats OK if you have friends!........Have you been spying on me?

What a great thread. I'm going to bookmark this and go read it through the next time I crash, as a reminder of why we're in this great hobby.

For me it's the different characteristics of my planes that's the main interest. Sure I enjoy building, turning flat wood into real flying thing, but building, while enjoyable, for me is very much a means to an end.

I've got an E-flite Alpha 450, Wot 4 Foam-E, Parkzone Radian, a Zagi, Pix-E Major and a Parkzone SE5a. They're all completely different, fly differently, respond differently, have different personalities, suitable for varying weather conditions and pilot mood. And the best bit is that with that little lot I've barely scratched the surface. There's scale, low wingers, pattern aerobats, 3D, DLGs that I'm still to explore, to say nothing of a whole world of IC models waiting for me, with their own particular challenges and delights. I can't wait!

Posted by Peter Miller on 20/01/2013 08:33:24:

Designing and building.

I do love flying but I find that once I have flown some models I lose interest in them.

On the other hand I have a few that I will take out to the fieldat any time and enjoy flying them.

I am going to have to get rid of quite a few airframes very soon.!!!! I need the space.

Well if you have any that weren't ARTF, but are cheap wink 2 and preferably high wing or glider, I might be interested. smile yes

This hobby is great, I love building and flying equally, whether its an ARTF or my Stampe from a box of badly made bits.

But one thing stands out more than anything to me, I wouldn't have lasted long and gotten this far if it wasn't for you lot and the crew down at the strip. The banter, the endless answers to endless questions and not being made feel stupid because of asking something simple.

It would be a very boring hobby if none of us ever spoke and we all flew on out own in the local field.

So I think I have to say the one thing I love most about this hobby is my fellow flyers, virtual or real laugh

I'm going to be different here, my favourite thing of this hobby is:

RC Radio Transmitters

Why? No idea! I just find them fascinating! Part of the reason why I have 6 of them, but only fly with 1. Also every one of them has been pulled apart and some of them I have even been reverse engineered to work out how their RF system operates!

Edited By Simon Chambers on 22/01/2013 20:47:17