What else do you do?

TheFlyingCrust

Advert

Well for me it is 3 children (3 , 6 and 9 years) and being "dad the taxi" and then there is 40+ hours a week day job doing IT support, development & management (read that as a bit of everything) for a university department.

I don't seem to get much time to do anything else, I get a little bit of time to go flying but limited to weekends and most of them have been wet and windy recently. I have been going to quite a few indoor flying meetings to get some stick time, and then there is my mass build model that has stalled at the moment due to lack of time.

Hi, I work with Target drones and UAV's for a living as a UAV controller and instructor for the systems. **LINK** Currently off sick working from home following a rather less than perfect knee replacement nearly 2 years ago. Thankfully this hobby has helped me keep my sanity designing and building planes. I also do a bit of amateur astronomy along with all the household chores that come along.

Ady

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, father of one by fortune and a model maker by choice. wink

I used to be employed in the REME, but now live the civilian life. I enjoy flying and was looking to gain my PPL up until recently, but work and family commitments have got in the way. I plan to build a kit aircraft at some point (full size), a kit car and possibly restore some classics. I also enjoy gardening, railway modelling, paintballing, fishing and camping.

well I'm a semi retired bus driver, driven since 1978 & now work 2 days one week, then 3 days the next week so working only 6 months of the year, With all this bad weather I have been building,ready for the new season. When the weather improves I have also got ex military land rovers that I take to shows during the summer months.

insurance broker to pay for mortgages and bills, part-time yacht charter and delivery skipper to fund the hobbies. apart from aeromodelling i am into classic mini's, have a small collection of diecast models, am restoring a classic fibreglass 21 foot motor boat and have just taken up cycling in an attempt to restore the waistline i had 15 years ago This apart from husband to a VERY patient wife and dad to two daughters, aged 8 and 11, with ever-increasing time demands.

Well, apart from my daytime job as a ICT Technician plus teaching kids that computers are not just for games and facebook etc… I pretty much don’t have any spare time to do much of anything else.

I maintain and update the LMA Website/Forum, I also edit and produce the LMA Journal, when that not keeping me busy I help with the plan and organizing of the LMA Shows. I do a bit of gardening when my arm is twisted and I try and get some flying in most weekend when it is not show season.

So you could say my other interests are still to do with model flying.

Edited By LMA David Parry on 28/01/2013 08:26:00

Ok so what do I do.

Well I did Karate as a youth and got my black belt. My son is following in my footsteps and loves it

I got into the transport line of work and worked as a Police driver before moving on to Air Crew transport controller.

Spend most of my time building my P47, flying or being a taxi to the kids.

Currently researching a Spitfire which crashed in WW2 in the road I live.

Edited By MikeS on 28/01/2013 08:36:37

Always been in retail. Started in food, now retail ops stock analyst for one of the big DIY sheds

Have held FAA and CAA PPLs, but that was many moons ago. The cost of keeping that up regretfully put paid to full size leisure flying

Team admin, running the line and general dogsbody for my lad's junior football team for a no of years. Now he's approaching late teens and moving up to a more senior level I've shed the admin roles and just do the line - usually 2 or 3 Sundays out of every four

And - coincidentally, given MikeS's Spitfire research above - I've recently started doing exactly the same re a pathfinder Lanc that came down over my home town when returning from a mission. Lived here for 22 years and was completely unaware of it until very recently

Edited By IanN on 28/01/2013 10:06:04

I have given up Cricket,Football,Golf,Tennis,Squash,Korfball, Badminton,and Table tennis. Over the last few years I seem to be paying the price for too much exercise and now have arthritis in my right hip and lower spine plus elsewhere I am sure.

I still go fly fishing for rainbow and brown trout about twice a year, but have not fished for sea trout for a number of years and caught my last sea trout at 6lb 3oz twenty years ago. Sometimes I go coarse fishing but not for the last three years. Biggest coarse fish was a pike at 28 lbs plus.

I was keen on classic cars and had the usual British sports cars in the past including a MK1 Spitfire, MK2 Vitesse, GT6 MKI and my favourite Sunbeam Alpine MK5 GT.

I have now retired after about 47 years work as a building services electrical engineer.

(Note for Chris Jones---Peter Bruce from the Bartons Point Club was a keen Paramotor flyer. He has put a number of articles and videos on this website and you may wish to contact him?)

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 28/01/2013 10:22:56

I do a bit of drag racing at Santa Pod in a 1953 Ford Pop smiley I also do a bit of mechanical work on cars with my DAD currently have a the pop a 1932 3 window coupe and a 1956 Plymouth savoy. I make some plastic model kits, I'm in the last 6 months of being an Air Cadet where I teach cadets how to fly motor gliders amung other roles, I'm also working through my private pilots licence and do a bit of conventional gliding, when I get the time that is. I do a bit of game and clay pigeon shooting. I also play guitar and I'm teaching myself to play the sax. I'm very interested in archaeology, antiques and military history mainly the first and second world war so if you looked around my house you'd see lots interesting things. I also keep and sometimes breed poultry and water fowl. I currently only have one duck (fox got the others) 2 guinea fowl and 8 chickens. I think thats about it at the moment.

I used to build these to commision mainly for the U.S market, collectors and museums, one or two did escape to Oz and one or two other places...

This is the last of the many, stopped building now except for this one which is staying with me, health problems preclude long term commitments like taking on a commission that may take 1500 to 2000 hours to complete.

This is a full admiralty board style model of the U.S frigate Confederacy 1778, there is still much to do as I havnt touched it in five years but it is now back out of mothballs and under survey to figure out where I left off.

dscn0292.jpg

13 years in the RAF then electrical & hydraulics engineer with BAe til taking early 'retirement' 9 years ago. 3 kids at university, 1 in the RAF and 2 in the engineering sector. Loving SWMBO is a worthy opponent and constant reminder of the smells and mess I make.

Avatar is cadet camp at Lossiemouth early 1970's.

Edited By Tangental on 29/01/2013 07:40:39

Amature astronomy is my other drain on the wallet. Currently have a nice 80mm refractor and a 10" newtonian on a Dobson mount. Have not been out with the scopes much over the last few months due to the lack of clear skies. Unfortunatley if its raining both of my hobbies are out the window, I really need to find something to do in bad weather.sad

I suppose Hifi is good in winter, when I can't go flying. Also can watch films in 9.1 DTS EX through either the Plasma HD TV or use the LCD Projector for the "Big Screen" feel. The screen on the projector is 108 inches diagnal.

The main Hifi stack:

Edited By Paul Marsh on 01/02/2013 17:18:29

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 28/01/2013 10:13:56

(Note for Chris Jones---Peter Bruce from the Bartons Point Club was a keen Paramotor flyer. He has put a number of articles and videos on this website and you may wish to contact him?)

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 28/01/2013 10:22:56

Thank you, thats great.

Chris