precedent hi boy

Adrian Day

Hi all just been given this kit started building it today got most of it done too comes together pretty fast ... but i would like to know the age and any one else who has on or how has had one in the past???phbt.jpg

this is what its ment to look like .. my ones not like this yet

precedent-hi_boy.jpg

would like to see others models of this plane and if its good for learning with???
regards Adrian

I learnt on one of these. They are as tough as old boots and an absolutely classical trainer. As I say very solid, but if you do manage to do any damage they are also quite easy to repair - though I imagine replacement wings (should you need one!) are a bit more difficult to come by. You should be able to pick up a "spare airframe" quite easily though as I imagine there are hundreds lying at the back of people's workshops. "Back in the day" they were a very popular trainer!

They fly well - in a trainer style. Very stable, little to go wrong. I'm sure you will be very happy with it and it will see you through all the early stages of your learning to fly.

BEB

What you should do before you start building ( or is it too late? ) is to draw around every component onto a sheet of paper - lining paper or even wallpaper or wood - to be able to make spare parts later if needed. Mark the material and thickness onto each drawing. The foam wing root shape should be drawn around ( tip too if its different) so that a new wing can be cut if required.

One should do this for any kit just in case, but for this model it's important because there does not seem to be any plans and its unobtainable now. Note that over the years there have been slight changes and some adverts said 57 inch span, some 58 or 60 inch. Maybe other changes too.

Be very careful about wing joiners for this model and do it properly or it can be a weak spot.

thank you everyone that's a great start ... thank you Ken for the update on the date i was thinking about early to mid 90 so not to bad its a little late for the fuz but i have done everything else already its seems like a standard thing now only thing i didn't do was the wings as this one the owner had pre done and looks pretty well, everything else is now glued as started putting together last night there isn't much to this model to be honest..
basic ply wood work and 10 parts balsa that makes this build fast ...
the only thing i don't like is the weight its such a heavy plane.
other than that its a strong old thing.. don't see them like this very often

thank you all for your comments good to know more about this one. looking forward to seeing it fly hope its not a up and crash model

Regards Adrian

yes Great plane.

Still got my 2nd one up in my loft (the first turned into confetti when I tried to teach myself to fly and found I didn't know which way the wiggly bits at the back of the plane were supposed to wiggle)

On the heavy side so needs a good-ish engine. I flew mine on a 35FP but the take off run was epicly long. I switched to a TT 40GP (still plain bearing) and it was a bit better. Lack of steerable nose-wheel would cause some aborted landings on our pock-marked take off / landing strip.

They're seriously robust. I flew mine into a tree one autumn- all the leaves fell off the tree, the plane cart-wheeled into the floor, end result = slight crease on the LE veneer else good to go.

I wish they'd start making them again!

thank you graybeard and ben...
looking forward to finishing it now .. now been told its a good trainer.. its just what im looking for.

Ben thank you for your reply, i do think its going to need a good 40-46 to run this one i think its a little heavy and would maybe benefit from the extra power? not sure... just need to look about for a little second hand 40 .. to run it .. i dont want a new one as this is only going to be a bridge plane for now.. ok you can pick up new now for £50 ish .. but on a mega small budget for this one as got others being built,
its not a bad plane.. hope it will take a bashing than my first model some years ago(just started again) 20years on)) didn't take much for instructor to smash it into a million bits showing me what he could do with a plane.
lasted 2 flights put me off after a £200 model was gone in 15 mins
Adrian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently have an old hi boy that I plan to learn with at my local club, currently getting some air time with a bixler 2 EPO but hoping to move on to the hi boy in the coming months.

The plane is getting there and a generous club member has offered to assist in getting it airworthy but could really do with the instructions. If anyone has the instructions that they could email me that would be fantastic.

Superb! I built one of these with my grandad in 1997 , i was 9 years old and it was my first plane, ive still got it , it last flew 3 years ago, superb PROPER trainer, you couldnt get better than the precedent Kits, i then got the T240 which i lost a rudder servo last year on and crashed into a lake, Looking for another T240 now, enjoy this aircraft like so many others have done, it will teach you alot heart

I built one as my second trainer (first was a Graupner Terry) in 1986 or thereabouts. Yes they are a litle porky but quite tough too. You can just see it in the right of this picture.

It was partially restored in the late 90's and finally got new servos and battery pack a couple of years ago. So it is now in flying condition again!

I put an O.S 45FSR in it on an 11 X 6 MK propeller (can you still get them?). The engine has had a new set of bearings and I think a new piston at some point. Possibly the best glow motor I ever bought, burbles a little at idle but two strokes cleanly all the way through the range after that. Plenty of power but not too much, which got me out of trouble on failed landing approaches etc. on numerous occasions.

Shaunie

• 3 months later...

How's the build of the Hi-Boy coming along Adrian?

This was my trainer back in 1991 and I still have her. As already said, tough as old boots and quite a bit heavier than modern trainers, however not a bad thing. Flown mine on an Enya SS30 which pulled like a .40, however was underpowered.

Keep us updated, some photo's would be nice. Perhaps we will have a 'Vintage Trainer Meet' one year at an RCM&E event?

Hi-Boys are a bit like Marmite!

There's no denying they are tough. One of them slammed into our Treasurer's Volvo punching a hole onto the rear wing!

There's also no denying that they are heavy and as a result fly rather quickly. Older beginners find them a bit of a handful in my experience and would be better off with a vintage model or something like a Boomerang which are capable of slower flight.

Just my two pennorth!

Posted by Allan Bowker on 22/11/2013 21:00:28:

How's the build of the Hi-Boy coming along Adrian?

This was my trainer back in 1991 and I still have her. As already said, tough as old boots and quite a bit heavier than modern trainers, however not a bad thing. Flown mine on an Enya SS30 which pulled like a .40, however was underpowered.

Keep us updated, some photo's would be nice. Perhaps we will have a 'Vintage Trainer Meet' one year at an RCM&E event?

Hi Allan

thank you for your interest, its getting there very slow as been a little busy getting back on feet from a bad few months,
just the wing to get covered now . so I will upload a picture or 4 in next few days so you can see how its going,,
I have to agree this is one heavy model and its as strong as an ox . its well designed kit.. not sure how she going to fly just yet. but will be looking forward as just a try out model she flies its a bonus .
and as it was given to me its not going to be a sting if it crashes

That sounds like a great idea for the future meets .. a vintage model meeting.. even if its a section at a show.

Regards Adrian

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 23/11/2013 10:47:28:

ive got a kit for a hiboy very little been done n pretty much unstarted ,no one seems to want them any more

Ben I really like this model ok I think if I was to build it again I would maybe make some changes.

I would look for another kit and if I see one at a low price just so that I can use the parts as a template to make it from balsa to make it lighter .. and maybe change the landing gear as well. the main problem with my one is the wing. it has a problem with the coating, its coming away from the foam inside. and needs a recover. other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

Regards
Adrian