Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Bubba

You are convinced that Lewis contravened the team directive first in relationship to the use of engine mapping. I have ever only heard Wolff be less direct with respect to such issues. Everything that Tito Wulff says to the public, is part of creating the correct (as seen by Mercedes) impression of the brand.

Here is a link to the Telegraph, although a truncated version, of a interview with Wolff and Lewis?

The full article claims that either driver can have their contracts terminated if management instructions are not complied with. If such a thing would happen as blatantly I doubt, I suspect it would become apparent to the unwanted party that staying would be counterproductive.

I am sure you are correct that in the UK and to UK motor sport fans, that Lewis is very marketable. Not so sure in other countries, for example right now in Austria, where Lewis was booed. You can see that Red Bull hires drivers not only for their obvious driving abilities, but also with an eye on marketing in specific countries.

Would Mercedes prefer Rosberg to be World Champion, I think only if it sells more cars in the short and the long term. Is Mercedes a proud company, I think so. One of my cousins whose company did business with Mercedes, used to drive into the factory in his Merc. Then was directed to a carpark outside of the gates when he turned up in a Lexus.

Lauda has been a strident supporter of Lewis within the team, if he has made any misdemeanours public, it is not by accident. Possibly a coded message.

If the new regulations do create a playing field that is nearer to being level, It will be no bad thing, although engine power does help a lot. I really would like the gulf in the power units to nearer to being equal. Again Mercedes has rested very strongly any relaxation that would help this happen. Then again, who in their right mind would not do the same.

Comments about the nationality of Nico have caused some upset in the recent past.

Advert

Posted by Erfolg on 05/07/2016 19:56:16:

Bubba

You are convinced that Lewis contravened the team directive first in relationship to the use of engine mapping.

No, the other way round, it has happened twice. Rosberg did it first in Bahrain in 2014 and Hamilton did it in Barcelona of the same season.

The Bahrain incident was only told to Hamilton after he had done it in Spain.

Posted by Erfolg on 05/07/2016 19:56:16:

If the new regulations do create a playing field that is nearer to being level, It will be no bad thing, although engine power does help a lot. I really would like the gulf in the power units to nearer to being equal. Again Mercedes has rested very strongly any relaxation that would help this happen. Then again, who in their right mind would not do the same.

Comments about the nationality of Nico have caused some upset in the recent past.

It is a double edged sword, it was not an engine formula when Red Bull dominated for four seasons, nor when Braun won. Aero superiority can make the sport just as boring and processional.

It is a balancing act to get a mix of aero and power units to have equal influence. F1 does not have the right people to make this decision, WEC have got this balance spot on.

I'm not too interested if people get upset about Nico's nationality, that's not my problem. It is well documented that he has mixed citizenship.

I am not so sure that any of the teams accept any fueds that potentially or actually result in the team obtaining results that are less than where boundaries are clearly defined.

Although many say that their drivers are free to race, even with team members, it is apparent when listening to the utterances of Eddie Jordan, that boundaries were always in place. It would seem reading and listening to team managers, their principle concern is team results, providing their sponsors with reasons to be associated. The egos and interests of drivers are of far less importance, to be managed in the interests of the team.

When Red Bull dominated, the car was certainly good, the extra bit of magic came from the driver. This became apparent to me when the other driver more often and not was just out of the podium positions. It was very similar in the Ferrari Schumacher era, it was a driver that was not only good, but was prepared to test drive (although not allowed now, to the same level), until every last bit of performance was wrung from the car and driver. Again Eddie Jordan fluffed his chance to be world champion, by lack of dedication.

It does seem that a lot of the issues at present come from Mercedes having a far better power train than anybody else, to the extent, that the engine mapping is a major tool, in enabling their drivers to turn up the wick, to enable passing almost at will. The other issue still remains for most teams of the limited fuel allowance.

As you all suggest, the races are more interesting at this time.

I am not surprised at the press release. Perhaps much more surprised with respect to any comments made by Lauda, which were of the cuff, I am sure that he regrets washing dirty linen in public. Many will have the view that it is not a good policy for generating internal cohesion. That is irrespective of how Niki felt. I am sure it was an expression of exasperation of the situation.

It is very noticeable that every press interview, particularly post race, there is always a PR girl lurking, recording what has been said.

Jenson Button to date is by far the most diplomatic, and generous (in interviews) of the drivers in my opinion.

In contrast Nico Rosberg has a dual side to what he says. He is inclined to wear his heart upon his sleeve, yet the other side of the personality is a no comment, cautious approach.

Lewis is far less easy to predict, from comments, is it because I am ..........., donuts in the street, and a few other things. Yet is also very likely to say what he thinks, irrespective of what happened, his self believe is total in many respects. I can imagine that is an issue for many team management. Which could possibly what will alienate him from Mercedes. Although I doubt he will care now he has made a fair pile of money, is lauded by the UK public and other teams will take him, if it comes to hey lads hey. Above all Lewis seems to be difficult because he is not a team player, rather a highly competitive individual. The fact he works to a large extent for Team Mercedes, is less important to Leis than other factors.

Todays call by Ecclestone for no team orders is just PR. He above all knows that all teams have clearly defined boundaries, which when transgressed resulting in failure are not acceptable.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/07/2016 17:37:13

The PR 'girl' is present for all teams, their role is just to get quotes for social media.

I am quite sure Ecclestone's comments were far from PR. His F1 has been questioned over the last few years which is why we have seen knee jerk changes to the formula and then changes when it didn't work such as qualifying.

He categorically does not want a change to the only thing that is keeping the formula entertaining right now. He did exactly the same with Webber and Vettel.

F1 is big business, with all the inter team, in team rivalries that go with the environment.

PR is more than a few quotes, it is all about creating the corporate image, staying on current message etc. It appears the PR people are a fair chunk of the team. I guess they keep sponsors on side, entertain as only corporate bodies can (other than the Foreign office).

Even in the era of there supposably of there not being team orders, it was tacitly acknowledged that there is always team orders, from Protocols to pitting, who has first preference, it is all about management. With respect to Ecclestone, all of his utterances have a purpose, which is not necessarily in line with what appears to have been said. It may suit Berni to have in team dramas, from a marketing perspective, at this time. Yet I am not sure that he expects the teams to take any notice. One thing I am sure of when he ran and owned Brabham, he would have done what was good for his team.

Customary reminder time;

Don't forget your predictions!

The Mercedes duo have been given a "final warning" about crashing into each other, but are otherwise free to race. Rosberg had to miss P2 due to a water leak, so is this the weekend that Hamilton moves into the championship lead?

I was there today, I must say that the McLaren looks really good. I was also at the USGP last October and the McLaren was visually slow then, they even had a funny electrical smell each time they lapped.

Today was a different story they both looked so sure footed through Maggotts/Becketts and they were the only cars to hold onto 7th gear as long as the Mercedes through turn one.

Really positive stuff from Woking, fingers crossed for a great result for them.

As terrestrial TV (is it Ch.4 these days?) has live coverage it should be 'safe' to talk about qualifying now...

At least I've got my first prediction right, hopefully other predictions will prove to be correct tomorrow!

Did anyone think the track limits penalties seemed to be applied a bit randomly? Fair enough if you're going to crack down on them and have announced it (as they did) but shouldn't they be applied more consistently? JB arguably missed getting into Q2 through a track limits penalty not being applied to Magnussen's lap

I haven't seen Magnussen's qualifying lap but if he exceeded the track limits then not only should he have been penalised there and then for the advantage he gained but now I think he should have some sort of retrospective penalty applied, like being moved to the back of the grid. The stewards deserve a kick where it hurts for not dealing with it properly.

I have no doubt that had all the bits been secured onto JB's car he would have been very close or in the top 10 had he continued in qualifying, so he was seriously disadvantaged by these events.

I agree Ian, in most respects. if rules include for the option to disregard a qualification lap, such that those who were lower placed in the table, would have moved a place higher, it seems reasonable that the driver who now occupies the last qualification position, must be allowed to compete in the next round.

If going of track meant going to the bottom of the table, Lewis would not be the pole sitter. Which does seem a tad unfair, for trying.

I think I have also messed up my predictions massively. Particularly with respect to Vettel. Ah well.

I don't recall hearing about any of Magnussen's times being deleted in Q1, though a few drivers did have times deleted early in Q1 (possibly Magnussen was one of those?)

Magnussen's fastest lap though must have come under some scrutiny, as between Q1 and Q2 Button ran back to his car and was sitting in it, ready to go when Q2 started, as if waiting for a verdict from the stewards that Magnussen's time had been deleted and hence Button would have been into Q2. That didn't happen though.

Just waiting for Badger to update their site - the stewards have delivered their verdict and deprived me of a few prediction points! (I had the top three predictions right before Nico's 10-second penalty!) I guess future penalties for "illegal" radio calls will be more severs, otherwise there could be teams regarding a 10 second penalty as worth taking to deliver some crucial advice... (Like Lewis' engine mode settings in Baku!)

In many respects it is a decision without merit, with respect to Nico. The teams will device ways of informing drivers by code, in the future.

I am very disappointed in Mansell, it was obvious that Vettels incident was due to loosing control, in difficult circumstances.

The stewards also appear to accept that the outside driver is at fault in a collision in a corner, which they seem to uphold, except in some circumstances.

The inconsistencies undermine their credibility, if all is nationality based.

All now seem to accept that there has always been team orders, agreements, they just called Protocols and pre race agreements.