Fokker D8

Hi all.

Saw the write up for Peters Fokker D8 in a rival Mag at the News Agents today and had a brief scan over it.

Peter seemed to think it did not fly as well as might be, but I did not read closely enough to find out why (and couldn't bring myself to pay money for a competitor to RCM&E).

Maybe Peter can enlighten us a bit.

Cheers,

Hugh

The Model flew very well in fact. The problems were related to the engine throwing a prop and chopping my arm leaving a very nasty bruise.

Then (not mentioned in the write up) A faulty connection in a Y lead that made the model glitch very badly on the ailerons and that was on the flight the we got the pictures!

Finally the battery became disconnected in flight which was terminal. However on that last flight it flew loops and rolls etc and was really nice.

The model is being rebuilt by a club member.

Trust me, if the model had not proved that it would fly well I would not have sent it in for publication and it was discussed with the editor.

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/03/2013 08:50:26

Hate Maiden Flights for magazine reports, when despiste the umpteenth check, something can slip through. A brand new aileron servo gave up on a maiden flight of one of my recent plan models. She just about staggered to the ground with only minor damage, but it could have been a total wipe-out.

Commiserations Peter,

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so my skimming over the article lead me to the wrong idea. Think I'd better actually buy the mag and have a proper read.

Apologies if I implied that you might have published a dud...

How big was it again? I noticed you put a 40 four stroke in it at the end.

I have the beginnings of a 1:6.95 one on the drawing board. My governing factor being the aluminium saucepan that I got from the $2.00 shop being exactly the right profile, but only 158mm in diameter.

I am thinking a foam cored wing.

Cheers,

Hugh

• 3 years later...

I'm currently building Peter's version of the DVIII as my winter project. Just the cowl to be built then it's ready for its maiden, but, I can't find any online stock of 1/6th scale wheels, so my LMS has ordered some for me but delivery is unknown.

The hardest part of the build has been silver soldering the u/c legs. This is my first attempt and it has taken a lot of practice to get it right.

I can't see why not. T will possibly be a bit over powered but you can always throttle back.

I had some hassle with the model. Nothing to do with the model ir its flying characteristics, just assoctaited problems.

First the OS FS 40 threw a prop which was very painful

And that was through a thick jacket and fleece!!

THen after a short but successful flight during which I got the flying shots (one of which was grafted into a photo of full size replicas and marketed by a chap up in SCotland) the battery plug came apart and that was that.

I don't thnk that it liked me!!!

I now make sure that plugs can't come apart.

Found the print. My Fokker is the DVIII in front.

**LINK**

And here is the Link to Pat's own website. I have three of his prints.

http://pat-speirs.pixels.com/

I f you go to this website and search for FOkker you will find a much better picture of my DVIII

I have jst ordered a print for myself.

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/03/2017 11:45:21

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/03/2017 11:47:49

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/03/2017 11:59:35

I have flown 2 Fokker D8's and both flew very well, 1 was 1/2 scale and overweight and the other was 1/4 scale but quite light. Both were a challenge on the ground as they are top heavy so you need to keep the wing as light as possible. My 1/4 one had the wheels joined to the axel and this helped the ground handling as both wheels turned at the same speed. The axel has brass tube bushings.

Peter

I once read a editorial by DB about some guy giving up the hobby as after 4 years he no longer found it a challenge, DB said that even if he lived for another 40 years he would not be able to do half the things he wanted to do. I see that even you after all these years are still learning! My apprenticeship in the hobby is now going on 46 years.

Hi Chris.

ONLY 46 years!!! Mine has lasted 64 years and I still learn lots things and make lots of mistakes.

There are lots of things to do and models to design but I have slowed down now.

Just now starting to dabble in modern electric power (Excuse me while I go and wash my mouth out) I know that I will never live this admission down but I will never give up i/c.

Well I do find that I  can fly once a week but if I have a small electric I can go in the week without getting worn out

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/03/2017 13:50:27

• 1 month later...