Fokker D8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Russ, nice to see some images of another build; looks good. Am I right in thinking you have extended the cowl to suit your engine - cant see what it is? This is something I will have to do in order to accommodate the SC52 I am using. I have also been thinking about how to secure the undercarriage wing to ensure this can't move; I think perhaps a couple of pieces of short small gauge piano wire at right angles to the undercarriage brass tube.

I must admit I was also nervous about tackling the undercarriage and particularly wing strut bending so I invested in one of these: **LINK** made the job easy although still not without stress.

Here is an image of where I am so far with prospective pilot Gretchen having a look over the build; she's probably stressed as well.

p1050266.jpg

Yes I extended to cowl, but not by much, to accommodate the Saito 40.

That's the wire blender I have. It wasn't the bending that was frustrating but trying to get the trailing edge strut the correct length so the the centre of the leading edge and trailing edge the correct height from the fuselage.

I would be a little concerned about using a 52, as the c of g is spot on without any additional weight with the 40fs

They are Dubro wheels from my LMS. I was going to use the Williams Brothers ones but they have been out of stock for months from all the usual online stores, half the price, but no good when you can't get them.

A shipment must have just arrived as I received emails from the stores saying they are now in stock but they have jumped up in price add on p & p and there's not much difference now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The nose issue is a real problem with many models of that era. Yet not all, the SE5a, Bristol Fighter, the Albatross V, or the D7.

I thought some time back, ah, why not a D8 with an inline engine like I think it was the V26 version. Looking at what drawings are published, still the very short nose. All I could think, is that the back end of some of the rotarys must be very light. I guess because of the lack of power?

Anyway, I am looking forward, to the paint jobs and the first flights on these D8s.

• 1 month later...

Well the Fokker is finally ready to go into service, only about 100 years late but let’s not be picky.

I chose this colour scheme having seen it on other models because it is so very striking, and also I might be able to keep track of it in the air! It is apparently based on a scheme associated with Theo Osterkamp who was a leading German Navy fighter pilot of the First World War; however the authenticity of this is rather dubious, but who cares I love it.

The whole model is covered in Solartex and then having covered it I then spent what felt like two lifetimes masking up for painting – glad that’s over.

At the controls is Gretchen Osterkamp, 23 year old Great Great Granddaughter of Theo, who is just itching to get her hands on those Spandau machine guns – obviously not as sweet as she looks.

I just need a couple of servo leads to finish and then await the arrival of a suitable day. Thanks Peter, enjoyed building this and expanding my knowledge and skills in the process.

fokker_d._viii-3[1].jpg

fokker_d._viii-2[1].jpg

fokker_d._viii-4[1].jpg

fokker_d._viii-5[1].jpg

Edited By David Hayward. on 15/11/2017 08:56:26