KeilKraft Demon

Kev Bamber

As a teenager I had a Keilkraft Demon control liner. In some attempt to regain my youth, I'd like to build one again as an R/C. I have obtained the plans and before I start, wondered what advice was out there & what problems I may encounter converting a C/L plan to a flyable R/C.

Advert

A couple of years or so ago I seem to recall that someone did a similar job on the KK Marquis, and I am sure it became a free plan. It might be worth looking at this to see how they approached it. Unfortunately it appears difficult to do a sort on the plans section on this web site to find it..

I saw someone converted a Nobler CL Stunter to RC a few years ago. That has to be one of the best looking stunters I've come across. Wanted one when I was a lad some 50 years ago! Happened across it looking for something else.

I'd guess it'd be quite easy to convert, just may need a little side thrust.

Ian

Some control line models were very close coupled, i.e, had very short fuselages between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the tail. This may make the handling a bit awkward on take off on an r/c conversion. I'm not familiar with the Keil Kraft Demon but it might be an idea to extend the moment arm of the fuselage a bit.

Thanks for the replies. Yes it does seem quite close coupled, so yes either extend the fuselage or soften the elevator throw and reduce its size. Fortunately it’s not asymmetric but I will leave the lead out of the starboard wing!

Realised last night it’s also going to need modifying to allow wing removal for access for radio gear etc.

The third challenge is that it’s a kit assembly plan rather than a scratch plan so I have a lot less detail than anticipated. Now if I can remember back to 1977……….

Kev

I had a look at the Demon plan last night.

It is strictly not a stunter but a class A team racer (with a nice ED 246 Racer shown with those neat flush exhausts!) but it only has half an elevator!

Interesting it uses a Clark Y type wing section.

It is neverthe less still rather close coupled and would be pretty twitchy with limited stability. A longer tail would make it much nicer to fly.

At 30" span it is quite small for RC unless you are using light weight gear.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 23/03/2013 12:02:10

The Skystreak was another conversion given as a free plan iirc

Many, many years ago I built a free plan that was very c/l like - Elf or something similar?  Typical sort of short coupled jobbie with a PAW149 in it's snout.  It was indeed a tad twitchy!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/03/2013 13:59:12

A very long time ago I was misguided enough to convert a 60-powered stunt model to single-channel RC. It presented a lot of challenges, and was lot of fun. If you want to see how not to go about it, you can read about it here - http://www.modelflight.regheath.com/mf113/airspaceset.htm. Don't expect any new ideas, though!

I can't see too many problems now that we have lightweight proportional gear, so long as the overall weight is kept down, and you are ready to deal with a twitchy elevator. Go for it, I'd say.

I converted a Mercury Crusader to R/C. Had to shorten what had been the inboard wing as it was an assymetric design. The coupled flaps were converted to ailerons and had to have extra material added at the outer ends to improve their effectiveness.

It flew very well with an OS 40 and the short moment made for very tight loops either inside or out. Inverted performance was as good as upright. I didn't find it particularly twithcy.

The R/C Skystreak was given as a free plan at a reduced 32" span size version of the 40 " original. I built one at the 40" span with an OS10 for power which again flew well as a R/C model.

I still have a 26" span C/.L version with a DC Spitfire which is in flyable condition although it has been a "hangar queen" for a number of years. This was built during a nostalgia trip in the 1980s as it was one of my first ever control line planes.

Malcolm

Kev , In the Nov. 87 Radio Modeller -sadly defunct - there was a free plan for a Phantom Major by that prolific designer ( and consumer of balsa ! ) John Rutter . I say that because a lot of his innovative designs were all sheet balsa inc. the wings . This was before you had to consult your bank manager if you intended building one ! It was basically a KK Phantom Mite on steroids with a 32" wing and those lovely elliptical vert./hor. surfaces . Power is in the 1.5cc range and altho 2 Channel initially could be 3 Channel with the so much more compact , lightweight gear available now . RM plan no. was not given but was part of the Argus Publications . Hope this helps , Rgds., Eric . C .