new to 2.4

Advert

In most of my models the two aerials are inside the plane. If you've got a carbon fuz (most likely on a glider) or possibly a metallic covering then you'll almost certainly need to route the aerials out to the outside. It makes sense to have the aerials further apart rather than closer together, but don't get too 'hung up' about it.

Perfect, run them in some drinking straws or similar, don't tape them in, that way if you do have an arrival you are less likely to pull the aeriel out of the reciever. Note it's only the last 30mm, or so, that is the active section of the aeriel the rest is coax to make it easier to position them in the plane.

BTW what set are you using?

Most models I have seen use drinking straws, old outer snakes to carry the aerials.

Again as been suggested I have seen the Rx either velcroed, or double sided tape on strip ahesive tape to hold in place.

Having said all that, most of the models i have observed have been Futaba, I am not sure at all what Spekrum people do, particularly as they have so many aerials I have been led to understand. Maybe they are smaller as I cannot say I have noticed a one,

I don't use drinking straws as IMO they are too big.

I use the tubes of cotton buds after cutting off the used buds, a much better fit and not over thick like snakes. Recycling!!

I have Spektrum and Futaba (with and without FRSky FASST) and Planet (and others!)

Spektrum and Planet Rx's mostly have very short difrect aerials which leave little option as to positioning relative to the Rx "box". FRSky offer longer length co-ax section aerials to make the location even more flexible than it already is. Why it takes third party supplies to get it right escapes me!!

If it is just a fun fly type model I usually bring the aerial part outside well away from hardware and waterproof sellotape it to the Fus, where its as good as invisible and gives the best possible chance of reception.

Posted by Erfolg on 07/05/2013 19:43:15:

Having said all that, most of the models i have observed have been Futaba, I am not sure at all what Spekrum people do, particularly as they have so many aerials I have been led to understand. Maybe they are smaller as I cannot say I have noticed a one,

Not really, some Rx's have satellite recievers about the size of a postage stamp on an extension lead with a couple of straight aeriels sticking out. I find these very easy to install, just turn it at 90 Deg to the main Rx and hold in place with sticky velcro, you can also change the length of the extension lead to suit the model.

Posted by Dave Bran on 08/05/2013 07:38:35:

Spektrum and Planet Rx's mostly have very short difrect aerials which leave little option as to positioning relative to the Rx "box". FRSky offer longer length co-ax section aerials to make the location even more flexible than it already is. Why it takes third party supplies to get it right escapes me!!

My Spektrum AR600 has a long coax length and the coax length on my Multiplex M Link Rxs is as least as long as on my FrSky 8 channel Rxs. The FrSky DR4II has a very short aeriel same as some Spektrum Rxs, Planet from what i've read are Parkfly sets so maybe don't need to be too critical on aeriel placement.