what type of glow plug

Patrick Checkley

Hi Pat,

This is one that could run and run...

Everyone will have a different opinion, each strongly held and defended.

Here's my tuppence worth, my favourite two stroke plug is the Enya no3. I don't like Enya engines BTW but I do think their plugs are great.

I am however setting up an RCV .91 for flight and they recommend an O.S. type F. I tried an Enya no3 (it was what I had) and it was rubbish in this engine. I put in an O.S and guess what. A huge improvement!

My advice is go with the manufacturers recommendation in the first instance.

The engine I fly with most is a Thunder Tiger Pro46 with an Enya no3. I was gobsmacked last week, I actually had to flick it twice! I call it Ronson, lights first time everytime.

Shaunie.

Thanks for the replies to my question

My engines are irvin 46, kyosho clone type 46, and os 15, and the fuel i use is optifuels optimax 12

The reason for my original question is while flying last Thurs. afternoon my glow start must have been partially shorting out pos. due to the ingress of fuel as i did have dificulty in starting and when checking the plug hardly any glow after a 12 hr. charge the previous night

Then a further overnight charge the reult was a weak glow

But on checking at the shop with a new glow start all was well so the question came up as to what type of plug to use

Many thanks Pat.

Its a "common or garden" engine so a "common or garden" plug will suit it fine.

Plugs only really become critical at high nitro (>30%) &/or high compression &/or high engine speeds (>20k).....

An honourable mention for the Taylor plugs as well.....good plugs, low cost & as Dave Bishop always likes to remind us at the shows....they're British!!!teeth 2

Patrick , in the O.S 2st manual a recommended range for the 46 AX, is, OS -A3, no.8 and A5 ,but fuel and oil content must be factored in, and the plugs will not last as long in a pylon racer in comparison to the sunday hack.

Thunder Tiger recommend a range of brands in the four stroke category. TT super 4-T, OS type F, Saito P-1, Hangar 9 -3010 and McCoy- MC-4C again nitro and oil content factored in.

hope this helps a lttle.

bbc.