Galloping Ghost P51

mightypeesh

Hi chaps. I have never like the looks of the P51, but when Tons plan came with RCME this month, I was tempted as A, the plan looks like quite a quick build. B, it lends itself to adaption through the method of constructing in top and bottom parts for the fuse. And C, The demise of one of my airframes has freed up all the gear required, and I figured it would be quicker to build afresh than to rebuild the much abused airframe (RIP).

After a bit of research I came across the gorgeous 'Galloping Ghost' Reno racer. Sadly the aircraft crashed during the race in 2011, killing spectators as well as the pilot. The aircraft itself was a beauty though, distinctive as the cooler scoop had been removed and another cooling system installed, and the wings being shortened so much. The pic below shows how the wings and tail were clipped, and the profile of the fuse changed, with a low profile racing canopy installed.

article-2194358-14b68d7c000005dc-377_634x392.jpg

And a pic of the aircraft....

download.jpg

Stunning.

Because of Tons design method I can redesigh the canopy and turtle deck without too much hassle, also the scoop will be easy to lose too. I am in two minds about clipping the wings on my version as she sounds like a nice flyer as she is. Also I am concerned about the wing loading after chopping off around 20% of the wing area! Mmm, keep it a 'sport scale' with full sized wings, or clip and just go round in circles?

_mg_8555.jpg

Anyway I spent some hours today cutting a kit of parts ready to go. The motor is a E-flite power 15, which will give it plenty of go, and maybe a set of E-flite retracts just coz I cansmiley I will keep you posted whatever happens, Cheers!

Edited By mightypeesh on 10/05/2013 19:55:02

Advert

Great Video and sound track. Thanks for the advice on your thread Ton. I dont want to get as bogged down in the detail as in the spit build, as I want to use this in the 'fun fighter spirit'. I do keep looking at the Galloping Ghosts clipped wings though, and am very temptedindecision.

If I go that route I will want to fit the huge flaps and tiny ailerons as well as retracts. That wing loading sure is going up. Also, seeing that clip from Austenrover I thinkI will fit the 1250Kv Power25 as it is after all a pylon racer.

I think I have just talked myself into it!

If I am going to do it I may as well do It. Watch this space!

download (1).jpg

She sure is a fine looking plane.

Edited By mightypeesh on 11/05/2013 06:18:50

Hi Chaps. I have got a bit done over the last couple of days, and made some choices as regards to the wing clipping. I do work in a 'scale-ish' way, and in the spirit of this I find it hard to ignore things like obvious shortening of wings. To this end I woke up thinking that I would make two wings for the Ghost - one to test fly, and one to be more accurate to the original. Then I thought 'why not make removable wing tips' - that way I can set up and test fly with full length wings, then use the shorts for high speed flying. Also I like the flaps on the original, so they were a must.

The final choice then is to have

• Removable wing-tips down to rib W8, but to also have airelons that extend to W9 for more control on initial flights
  • To have longer than scale airelons when tips were removed to help with handling with clipped wings
  • To fit E-flite retracts, but to have a wider stance for stability on the ground.
  • To fit flaps to help with higher speed required for higher wing loading.

So a couple of pics.

_mg_8562.jpg

I reinforced area between W5 and W6 with 3mm litply plate, as well as 6mm sq spruce bearers morticed into the ribs. also the W2 spar has been extended past W6 to add robustness to the retract area. I am going to make some 'low profile' wheels to fit the wing space.

_mg_8578.jpg

wing with retact units fitted. I will make the wheels before cutting more holes.

_mg_8577.jpg

Flap and airelons framed up. Rib W8 has been doubled up for the tips to be removed when I have fitted some rod and tube to reconnect them. Also most of the airelons and flap outlines have been sliced through, leaving only tabs to detach.

Thats it for now, Still not sure whether to go for the E-flite Power15 or power 25 (1250Kv). The advantage of the power25 is the smaller prop and higher power - this is after all a pylon racer!!

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 12/05/2013 21:52:36

Hi chaps, Just a quick one today. Drew up some servo plates in Autocad, and thought I may as well draw up a couple of low profle wheels to fit in the wing. Laser cut them at work out of a combination of 3mm and 1.5mm liteply, with some 6mm foam for the tyres - doubled up to 12mm.

_mg_8609.jpg

bit of glue...

_mg_8610.jpg

and some paint...

_mg_8615.jpg

Ready to be mounted in a drill to shape the tyres.

_mg_8616.jpg

Very scale-ish, but are only 12mm thick and fit in the wing space perfectly.

When I have shaped the foam I will cut the apertures and fit the legs.

Cheers for now, Simon

Thanks chaps. It is such an enjoyable build. I would recommend this plan to anyone, great design!

My gorgeous wife has gone out to Hamton Court for the day with her friends.....Mmmm what can I do? Ok, pot of tea, packet of biccies and radio on. Lets go!

I wanted to get the servos mounted and fitted today and the holes cut for the retracts, and I will use mainly pics for this post with captions.

_mg_8691.jpg

servo covers made up.

_mg_8696.jpg

cut corner radius using hole cutter to match cover shape.

_mg_8701.jpg

place blank and cut around with new blade

_mg_8698.jpg

_mg_8699.jpg

temporarily screw mount plate to cover and tack glue in place. remove cover and wick glue all around mount.

_mg_8695.jpg

Perfect fit.

_mg_8702.jpg

Next wheel wells. I made up oversize 1.5mm balsa rings (soak in hot water, curve etc} and fitted around wheel wells. To cut down to profile of ribs I reverted to the good old Cornflake packet.

_mg_8705.jpg

cut a rough curve

_mg_8707.jpg

bend around ribs and mark around the oversize well

_mg_8708.jpg

and cut and sand to shape

_mg_8710.jpg

cut through

_mg_8712.jpg

and then cut channels for legs, and line with a bit maore balsa.

_mg_8720.jpg

Getting busy in there!

Next is to shape and size the tyres on the wheels and to sort the removable wingtips.

Thanks for reading and comments, Cheers, Simon

Thanks for the kind words gents, glad you like it. Some more pics...

_mg_8725.jpg

I have fitted some 'mini spars' for the wing tips. I used 3mm CF rod inside another suitable sized tube for the main one, and 1.5mm CF for the 'locators' and airelon joiner.

_mg_8726.jpg

All the hard work covered, just hope it all comes apart with just a scapel blade, and I have not got adhesive on the joiners.

_mg_8733.jpg

A lot of swearing later, and lots of blunted blades it came apart! needs a bit of making good, but I am pleased.

_mg_8731.jpg

close up of the spar and joiners in the wing tip. the slot is for a small ply plate to secure the tip to the main wing. Looking good so far. Next onto the fuse smiley

Cheers, Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

Still waiting to hear how your'e doing with "The Galloping Ghost". Looking at the wing's youv'e constructed, they look spot-on. The one thing I did notice is having to do with the leading-edge in front of the landing-gear, coming away from the fuse....what happened to the "first angle" of the edge?

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Gents, sorry about the (rather long) break in the build. I moved house and have been knocking down walls, fitting kitchens, bathrooms, tiling, flooring and a million other things house related. I have finally found the box of fuselage parts this week among the rest of the hundred or so brown cardboard cubes handily marked 'workshop'. Very concise. Still, I have graduated from the dining room table to my very own building room. the tools are being unpacked and the building board is now up, so watch this space. as they say - 'coming soon to a screen near you'. Thanks for the continued interest, Simon

• 2 months later...

Ok Chaps I am now finally 'back in the room' after a veeeeery looong break, so hello again!smiley

I have been working on the fuselage which was fairly straight forwards, just a couple of minor changes to remove the scoop. The hardest part is sheeting the top turtle deck, which I ended up sheeting in three parts along the length , soaking in hot water to get the curve right. I also made the battery hatch chin scoop from scrap balsa rather than vac forming one, shown here with Pippin the building board kitten.

img_8068.jpg

The raised fuse section was built in situ from scraps and skinned in 1.5mm sheet, with the cockpit plug made up in sections then shaped using my trusty Davids plane and sanding blocks.

img_8074.jpg

img_8076.jpg

img_8078.jpg

img_8080.jpg

img_8083.jpg

Looking good. The canopy was made using the 'shrinking a plastic bottle over the plug with a hot air-gun' method.

img_8089.jpg

The plastic is from a 2ltr bottle of savers lemonade - 19p well spent. The lemonade made a nice drain freshener!

img_8093.jpg

I will keep you updated on further developments, Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 02/02/2014 09:14:05